General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-05-30 8:30 PM
in reply to: rnner66

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
Subject: RE: 6 months to go!
I'm just getting back into the swing of Tri training again (LOTS of running this winter/spring ~ my favorite!). Jumped into a plan for Racine HIM (July 22nd) a couple weeks ago and am feeling pretty good so far. As usual, need to work on the bike....LOL.

I got an email today for Tri Bike transport and will be signing up for that soon. Picked a hotel and will be making reservations tomorrow. I'm excited, but trying not to think of it TOO much just yet.....I don't want to wish my summer away .

Is anyone doing a HIM this summer en route to Cozumel?

2013-06-01 11:02 PM
in reply to: Trivol

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Subject: 6 months from TODAY!
Time to get serious!
2013-06-01 11:06 PM
in reply to: marathongirl11

User image

Extreme Veteran
We are doing about 8 tri's leading up to Cozumel, including a 70.3 here in Washington State. We completed a sprint tri this morning (my 2nd of the season and my husband's 4th), but I've been sick with bronchial CRAP for the past 2 weeks so haven't been able to train. Hopefully we can go full speed ahead now!
2013-06-03 4:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Hi everyone!  I just officially signed up today.  My second IM.  Training is well under way and prepping for the heat is starting to get really easy here in Atlanta.  Excited, and a little nervous, as I may be there completely alone.  
2013-06-03 9:21 PM
in reply to: richard1750

User image

New user
Nashville
Subject: RE: Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread
Originally posted by richard1750

Trivol - 2013-04-14 8:11 PM A question for those of you who have raced before. I am using tribike transport for the bike but am bringing in-laws and brother In law plus 2 kids under 5. Is the ferry an option? It was save some cash, but need to know if it is realistic. We all have traveled a good bit but never been international with kiddos. Thanks for the advice.

I competed in IM Coz in 2010.  My direct flight to Cozumel was changed as my connecting flight was late into Houston.  The three of us had to fly to Cancun instead.  We were all lugging along our bike cases.  We took a shuttle from the Cancun airport to the ferry drop off point.  You have to walk a little way through the shopping area to the dock where you can purchase a ticket.  This area seemed safe as there were lots of US tourists and locals with families around.  The boat ride was about 40 minutes.  When we landed there were lots of taxi's around.  In my opinion this is a more adventurous way to travel to Cozumel but should be okay with kids.  If you are unable to fly directly into Cozumel this is a good option.  You may also want to check out Mayair as they fly from Cancun into Cozumel.  I reserved a round trip flight last year and the cost was $110.  I hope this helps. 

Thanks so much for your thoughts. Cost and time are big factors. Training is going well here and it is warming up. Good luck all.
2013-06-05 9:43 PM
in reply to: #4663675

I'm thinking about doing this as my first. I'm on my way for training for Augusta and am thinking rather than wait till next year just ramp up to aim for this one. I'm nervous even thinking about it but with it 5 months away it seems like a good one to go for. Plus a trip to mexico would please the woman. Would this be a good first one?

2013-06-06 6:34 PM
in reply to: gatorcali21

User image

Originally posted by gatorcali21

I'm thinking about doing this as my first. I'm on my way for training for Augusta and am thinking rather than wait till next year just ramp up to aim for this one. I'm nervous even thinking about it but with it 5 months away it seems like a good one to go for. Plus a trip to mexico would please the woman. Would this be a good first one?

I highly recommend IM Cozumel as your first ironman. This was my first in 2010 and I loved the experience and adventure. The race seemed to be very well organized. The swim was great as the water was warm and beautiful. Some of the other IM races appear to have the competitors swim through some questionable swim courses. You won't find any funky water here. The bike ride does three loops of the island. The southern side is beautiful and undeveloped then as you head back into town you will be amazed with the enthusiasm of the locals. They really come out to support the race and almost made me feel like a pro athlete. The bike route is flat but the ocean winds can be formidable. The run is also good as the locals come out and give the runners a lot of support. As for your lady, choose a nice hotel and she will have a great time as well. You can't go wrong by choosing this race.
2013-07-14 9:28 AM
in reply to: richard1750

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
My husband and I just signed up for Cozumel. It will be the first IM for both of us. Really excited, and hope to keep this thread going throughout training. I know I will need the support!!
2013-07-15 11:17 AM
in reply to: Sarah73

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Hey guys,

Just got back from Cozumel and wanted to let you know that parts of the course have been repaved and are smooth as glass. For those who have been there before, there is that service/bike lane road that runs parallel to the main road (for those who haven't been there, if you look on google earth you'll see what looks to be a divided road. it's actually the main road and a bike lane/service road). The bike lane was pretty much completely repaved all the way around the island. If memory serves, parts of the race are on the main road (west side) and parts of the race are on the service road (east side).

anyway, thought you guys might want to know. Good luck with the training!
2013-07-15 11:20 AM
in reply to: tjfry

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oh awesome to know! Thanks for the information!
2013-07-15 11:21 AM
in reply to: Sarah73

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sweet! My husband and I are doing it too (his first, my 2nd). See you there!

Originally posted by Sarah73

My husband and I just signed up for Cozumel. It will be the first IM for both of us. Really excited, and hope to keep this thread going throughout training. I know I will need the support!!

2013-07-16 5:44 PM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
I'm in!

It will be my first IM.

About 20 of us from the local tri club are heading down for it.
2013-08-05 11:36 PM
in reply to: rgattis

User image

New user
Nashville
Hope training is going well. Anybody seeing good deals on flights? I was not budgeting for current prices. Any help would be appreciated. Would a travel agents be helpful in finding well priced flights?
2013-08-06 7:59 AM

usually the best deal on flights anymore is directly with the airline but you can search via Expedia or Travelocity or whatever site to find the flights you like and then go directly to the airline's site to save a few more dollars -not a lot of savings but enough to buy some gear for your bike

travel agents generally charge a fee and therefore don't typically offer the best deal anymore. i have access to one through work and my admin has been watching the flights for me but the difference in prices is like $20 and the travel agent fee is $7-25, so not worth it IMO.

i've been tracking flights for about 4 weeks for COZ. there's a lot of variation week to week but in general they are on the higher side then they were earlier this year. i'm going to wait until the summer ends - flights seem to drop in a price a bit more then. watching both Cancun and Coz. Cancun is more reasonable right now for travel from the city i live in.
2013-08-06 2:36 PM
in reply to: t-diddy

User image

New user
Nashville
Thanks so much. I am watching both cities as we are in Nashville. My type A wants this booked to check it off.
2013-08-06 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
We booked ours on Sunday and got first class tickets for $48 more than coach on American. Snagged that right up!

2013-09-04 12:51 PM

User image

Regular
NWA
Great to see a fellow Volunteer competing in Cozumel! My support crew will be wearing Orange Checkerboard - helping me to "give my all for Tennessee, today!" ! VFL!!

We were down in 2011 - as spectators...now I'm headed down for my first IM...very excited.

Look forward to hearing about everyone's training. We are staying in a condo near the finish line - El Cantil...stayed there in 2011 and really enjoyed it...I can crawl home if necessary. They did have the best "non-Mexican" food in their Penthouse restaurant Prima Trattoria. Outstanding lasagne.

Happy training!!

Tammy
2013-09-10 8:54 PM
in reply to: Tambo1221

User image

New user
Nashville
I hope to meet you and some of your support crew. I need to get on getting my folks something coordinated. I hope training is going well for all. The load is increasing and tapor is right around the corner.
2013-09-11 2:47 PM

User image

New user

I will be there !! Did my first iron distance at Challenge Penticton 2 weeks ago Looking forward to a destination race.
2013-09-12 1:02 PM
in reply to: Going4Iron

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
I'm officially in.. Raced 2 IM's--> Rev 3 in 2010, and IMSG in 2111... Took last year off being preggers and had my little boy in last December. Started running and did a half mary in may, full in June, and just did Rev3 half IM 9/8... What better way to celebrate my son's bday than by doing my first post baby Ironman in Cozumel!! Just need a training plan now
2013-09-13 2:50 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Trivol Hope training is going well. Anybody seeing good deals on flights? I was not budgeting for current prices. Any help would be appreciated. Would a travel agents be helpful in finding well priced flights?

I am glad you asked this because I am not technically doing it this year but probably next however I have been researching tickets.......it seems that since it is on Tgiving weekend the rates are higher......i entered the week later and it was about 400 less a ticket....as of now I would prefer to fly to europe for that price

2013-09-15 10:48 PM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

New user
Nashville
We are booked and got the flights for about $500 each into Cozumel. Not great but as good as I have seen. Hope everyone's training is going well and everyone is healthy. Building big here and trying to drop some weight . Good luck.
2013-09-18 9:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Germantown, WI
I am getting in on the discussion late, but looking forward to this race. I just did IM Wisconsin a week and a half ago and just starting to get back into training. Starting to get pretty excited. This will be my third Ironman, but the first so far from home.
I got my tickets back in January and they were not that expensive back then. We are also going from Tuesday to Tuesday which brought the cost down as well. I think the closer you travel to the weekend (or to Thanksgiving) the more expensive it gets.
We are staying at an all inclusive - El Cozumeleno - which looks to be near the run turnaround. Does anyone know anything good or bad about this place?
2013-09-19 11:44 AM
in reply to: kbreitz

User image

Peachtree City
I stayed at the el Cozumeleno the last 2 years. Great staff and rooms were clean. Food was fine, breakfasts were best. Ordering food was often better than the buffet.

I just did Wisconsin, Loved it !

Good luck in Coz- great race
2013-10-03 11:23 PM
in reply to: gatorcali21

User image

Extreme Veteran
58 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3