General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Have you ever thought, Maybe I am faster than I think I am?" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-03-19 3:55 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: Have you ever thought, Maybe I am faster than I think I am?"

The run has always been my PR stopper! So the last two years I have focused more on my run than anything else really. Sunday I ran a HM and was a little nervous about it because my longest training run had only been 9 miles. This was not necessarily an A race for me either as I have been focusing on my Olympic race plan. I knew I could hold pace (9:30 was goal pace) for 7-8 miles, but was not sure how the race would finish.

Usually I go out way to fast and burn out, but this time I was able to really stay within pace for the first half of the race and then continue until mile 11. At mile 11, I really felt great and was able to buck up the pace to the 8:40 range the last two miles. I ended up negative splitting the HM, first time I have done that.

The thing is, I felt great afterwards. I now know I could have pushed it even more and probably finished under 2 hours ( I did finish in 2:03).

So it got me thinking. I am faster than I think I am! This could be a new outlook on racing for me going forward!

2013-03-20 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4666630

User image

Regular
Chicago Area
Subject: RE: Have you ever thought, Maybe I am faster than I think I am?"
Quite the opposite for me.  I often think "Maybe I'm slower than I think I am".  And as it turns out, it's true! 
2013-03-20 10:12 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Um, no.  I am not fast...at all.
2013-03-20 10:13 AM
in reply to: #4667450

User image

Payson, AZ

siberian - 2013-03-20 8:08 AM Quite the opposite for me.  I often think "Maybe I'm slower than I think I am".  And as it turns out, it's true! 

I bet the bunny suit is slowing you down some

2013-03-20 10:16 AM

Jefferson City

At risk of sounding dumb, what does neagative split mean?  I am going to venture a guess... does that mean you finished faster than you started?

2013-03-20 10:16 AM
in reply to: #4667456

User image

Regular
Chicago Area
bzgl40 - 2013-03-20 10:13 AM

siberian - 2013-03-20 8:08 AM Quite the opposite for me.  I often think "Maybe I'm slower than I think I am".  And as it turns out, it's true! 

It really rides up the crotch when I'm running. 

2013-03-20 10:23 AM
in reply to: #4667463

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
jdcannon - 2013-03-20 10:16 AM

At risk of sounding dumb, what does neagative split mean?  I am going to venture a guess... does that mean you finished faster than you started?

negative split means I did the last half of the race faster than I did the first half.

2013-03-20 10:36 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

In short, I'd guess you probably are faster than you think since you just proved it in your race. 

It takes confidence to really determine how fast you are, and a willingness to push the comfort bounds when running.  A negative split isn't necessarily and indication you did not perform as well as you could, it could be the result of a great race plan that resulted in a PR.  In your race the smart part was holding yourself to planned pace in the beginning, allowing you to not be totally pooped later on such that you could assess that you still had gas in the tank and could push harder.  I had a similar result in my last marathon where I came in at a time much better than I thought I was capable of with a 30 sec/mile negative split on the back half, and you often read of the pros planning a negative split.  You never hear anyone planning a positive split, howeverWink

Most of your longer training runs are likely at race pace minus a minute/mile or so.  I'd suggest you incorporate some race pace runs in your future training at least every couple of weeks to see what feels comfortable.  Not the entire distance, but maybe 2 miles of a 7 or 8 mile run.  You can even break that up into half mile intervals over the run just to give your body the feel of the pace and learn to understand how it likes it.  It could be that your fitness has progressed passed the levels you set way back when, and it is now truly capable of better performance than you think. 

Now go run.

Edited by TTom 2013-03-20 10:38 AM
2013-08-28 3:58 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Pretty dang good advice below ...

On an anecdotal note, I set my 10k PR at the 7:00 am New Year's Day Resolution Run after staying out until 2:00 am in the morning. I was somewhat "bleary-eyed" when I woke up for the event and forgot my HR strap ...so I ran it "naked". Running by feel and pushing myself - instead of being a slave to the HR number that popped up on my watch - enabled me to have a break through race.

The point is that sometimes our caution - and the comfort we get from being reliant on anything but how we feel during a race - can be our own greatest limiter.

Originally posted by TTom

In short, I'd guess you probably are faster than you think since you just proved it in your race. 

It takes confidence to really determine how fast you are, and a willingness to push the comfort bounds when running.  A negative split isn't necessarily and indication you did not perform as well as you could, it could be the result of a great race plan that resulted in a PR.  In your race the smart part was holding yourself to planned pace in the beginning, allowing you to not be totally pooped later on such that you could assess that you still had gas in the tank and could push harder.  I had a similar result in my last marathon where I came in at a time much better than I thought I was capable of with a 30 sec/mile negative split on the back half, and you often read of the pros planning a negative split.  You never hear anyone planning a positive split, howeverWink

Most of your longer training runs are likely at race pace minus a minute/mile or so.  I'd suggest you incorporate some race pace runs in your future training at least every couple of weeks to see what feels comfortable.  Not the entire distance, but maybe 2 miles of a 7 or 8 mile run.  You can even break that up into half mile intervals over the run just to give your body the feel of the pace and learn to understand how it likes it.  It could be that your fitness has progressed passed the levels you set way back when, and it is now truly capable of better performance than you think. 

Now go run.

2013-08-28 4:51 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by jford2309

The run has always been my PR stopper! So the last two years I have focused more on my run than anything else really. Sunday I ran a HM and was a little nervous about it because my longest training run had only been 9 miles. This was not necessarily an A race for me either as I have been focusing on my Olympic race plan. I knew I could hold pace (9:30 was goal pace) for 7-8 miles, but was not sure how the race would finish.

Usually I go out way to fast and burn out, but this time I was able to really stay within pace for the first half of the race and then continue until mile 11. At mile 11, I really felt great and was able to buck up the pace to the 8:40 range the last two miles. I ended up negative splitting the HM, first time I have done that.

The thing is, I felt great afterwards. I now know I could have pushed it even more and probably finished under 2 hours ( I did finish in 2:03).

So it got me thinking. I am faster than I think I am! This could be a new outlook on racing for me going forward!

I used to race with my Garmin so I could keep an eye on pace. Last summer, I lost it in transition (found it later) and had to go by feel. I PR'd by a LOT. It really forced me to think about pushing the limits of my comfort zone and what I was capable of.

Congrats on the hard working paying off for you!
2013-08-28 4:53 PM
in reply to: siberian

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by siberian

I hear a gorilla suit is more aero.

2013-08-28 4:54 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by switch

I hear a gorilla suit is more aero.

WINNER!!

2013-08-28 5:53 PM

I typically get this 'faster than I thought' in the season right after a heavy training season (like now for me).

I ran a lot and bike a lot last year for 2 HIMs, and had good results that I was happy with.

Switched over this season to mainly swimming to remedy a horrendous gap between my run/bike and swim (which is still there but a hair smaller now), even at the cost of most of my biking and running.

Even though I've run less than 12 miles per week in the past 6 weeks, and probably no more than 18miles per week the 6 weeks prior to that (including several weeks of zero run mileage and just low bike mileage), I bested my last year's PR on 6 mile hilly train run out of the blue this past weekend, and my PR wasn't at all soft on this course.

I think sometimes it just takes weeks (months) to really get all the physiological benefits of a season of training. Keep in mind that I'm still swimming really hard, so aerobically, I'm not limited. I also know that if I ran a long (longer than 10k) race, I'd do terribly as my legs simply don't have the endurance to go that long right now due to my limited run training.
2013-08-28 5:53 PM

I typically get this 'faster than I thought' in the season right after a heavy training season (like now for me).

I ran a lot and bike a lot last year for 2 HIMs, and had good results that I was happy with.

Switched over this season to mainly swimming to remedy a horrendous gap between my run/bike and swim (which is still there but a hair smaller now), even at the cost of most of my biking and running.

Even though I've run less than 12 miles per week in the past 6 weeks, and probably no more than 18miles per week the 6 weeks prior to that (including several weeks of zero run mileage and just low bike mileage), I bested my last year's PR on 6 mile hilly train run out of the blue this past weekend, and my PR wasn't at all soft on this course.

I think sometimes it just takes weeks (months) to really get all the physiological benefits of a season of training. Keep in mind that I'm still swimming really hard, so aerobically, I'm not limited. I also know that if I ran a long (longer than 10k) race, I'd do terribly as my legs simply don't have the endurance to go that long right now due to my limited run training.
2013-08-28 11:03 PM

User image

NC
I think I'm faster than every race I've ever entered.

2013-08-28 11:03 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

short answer, nope.

Though I've never tried running in a bunny suit. I think I'd be really slow in it, so maybe after running in a bunny suit I might think that maybe I am faster than I think I am "in a bunny suit". Are they air conditioned?

2013-08-29 12:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
yes, then I raced nationals as an elite in 2003, got my handed to me by Simon, Bevan, Hunter, Peter Reid.
2013-08-29 7:14 AM
in reply to: 0

Siberian-Looks like the position of your ears are causing you way too much drag. Try pulling them back!

Edited by USAFR 2013-08-29 7:16 AM
2013-08-29 8:38 AM
in reply to: siberian

User image

Then your tail is too high
2013-08-29 11:10 AM
in reply to: MLPFS

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Turns out that gorilla suits are not particularly hydro or aero.  Trust me on this.

As planning a positive split, I actually disagree only slightly here.  Yes, the planned negative split is by far the most common.  However, a number of folks (myself included) have PR'd on a plan of a VERY slight "positive fade."  Personally, I can only do this in running races and when I have trained for a specific distance to the point that I know pretty well what my pace can be.

It doesn't always work, and if you blow up rather than fade, you're done.  But, if you can hammer the first 3/4 and then put EVERYTHING you have into the last 1/4, watch your HR go WAY higher than you thought you could hold and keep an even or VERY slightly slower pace - that's a PR for me.

It is a very fine line, but is an option is all I'm saying.

That said, under anything like normal racing conditions (really I mean normal training conditions - where you aren't targeting a single race distance with 3-4 months of very specific training and also have a good level of previous experience with that distance), I plan to negative split.  Tongue out

Matt

(Your tail is too high... priceless)

2013-08-29 12:22 PM

Plano, TX
Nope, never happened to me...

My pool shut down for a few months earlier this year which was good timing because I had hurt my shoulder swimming. I took some time off and signed up for my first swim lesson with a coach. He gave me some drills to work out to fix my position on the water (which he believed was the reason for the strain in my shoulder) and didn't time myself for a few weeks as I worked on my stroke and healed. I had to swim in another pool after this which the gym ASSURED me was 25m just like the other pool and when I started timing myself, it appeared I'd taken 5-10sec off/100m. I thought "AWESOME!...best money I ever spent!" First race? Not so much, same times as before. Now I'm back at my original gym and got back in the pool I've always trained in....same ol' times as before....ouch.

2013-08-29 12:24 PM
in reply to: jte463

User image

Seattle

I've never really thought that. I think I can get faster, and I'm quite aware that it will take lots of work. But that's about it. 

2013-08-29 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Central France
Yep. I think that all the time. Then I go out and race and that thought gets blown out the window.
2013-08-29 2:51 PM

User image

Yes, and it was an eye opener. Growing up, I hated running. I was always one of the slowest kids in my class. Running the mile in gym class was pure agony. Somehow, at the age of 37, I got into it. I ran my first 5k in under 29 minutes. A little over a year later, I had it down to 24:58, not record setting by any means, but pretty good for a middle age woman who was never athletic. My HM time is 2:01:22, and that 1:22 gnaws at me. I am determined to break two hours.
2013-08-29 3:34 PM
in reply to: jaja63

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jaja63 Yep. I think that all the time. Then I go out and race and that thought gets blown out the window.

Yep, this is me too. 

I think I'm all speedy and then find out that I'm really, REALLY not.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Have you ever thought, Maybe I am faster than I think I am?" Rss Feed  

of 2