World Triathlon Corporation
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Getting up at 4am , we left the hotel , which was about 20 minutes outside of downtown Providence. Lesson learned spring the extra bucks for a closer hotel. Got to the capitol building and parked the car in a designated spot then walked over to the shuttle bus, for the ride to the swim start. It was still dark outside and all the athletes had the same groggy non-expression as they boarded the bus. When we arrived the sun was just popping up and the transition was already busy with a flurry of activity

see my detailed report here:
http://www.abrandao.com/2012/07/19/my-first-70-3-triathlon/
Swim
  • 45m
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

I looked down at my watch and was horrified to see 45 minutes, at least 10 minutes slower than I expected, it would be indicative of the rest of my day. With no wet suit to take off, it was a short dash to T1, were I almost slipped on the wet grass. I choose not to wear a top during the swim but now paid in time because it took forever to put it on atop my wet skin. I got everything, and off I went.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 3h 17m
  • 56 miles
  • 17.06 mile/hr
Comments:

the last 6-7 miles approached we started to go through some rough the inner city neighborhoods And the bad road conditions we we’re warned about near the end of the bike segment became obvious. Multiple train tracks , gravel strewn turns, un-marked potholes, and angry motorists being stopped all made the arrival into Providence eventful, coupled with the exhaustion of the ride really tested ones fortitude.

Within a mile of T2 you could hear the announcer , the crowds started increasing and the cheering especially up one final short climb before the run-in into T2 was really inspiring and made it easier to push through.. coming into T2 was a lot of fun.. My time was disappointing I had hoped a sub 3 hr bike segment, but sadly my time was 3:17.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

The nice thing about this loop course was that refreshment stations were every mile and since you went around you basically had aid stations every half mile, very helpful and nice to have. At this point it was getting very hot around 90 in the mid-day July sun. the air stations had ice and sponges which came in handy. After a while it didn’t matter the discomfort of the day was weighing on me. I was more and more tired, the course a 50% downtown, then 50% residential streets, just started to beat me up . As I approached the half-way marker (this is a two loop run course) I could see turn here for next loop or go straight for the finish chute. I turned once more back to start my second loop.

I remember being at mile 9 on the course , thinking to myself, by now I wish I was finished. I just didn’t care anymore, I started doing calculations and now I just wanted to come in under the cut-off which as 3pm, or 8.5 hours. The heat, the exhaustion were taking a toll and the jogging turned into more walking, the number of athletes thinned as I now knew I was near the tail end. Within the last 2 miles I walked together with Brian, he seemed like a spry young guy , but was just as miserable as I was at this point. I told him this wasn’t fun anymore and it really seemed like torture., I just wanted it to be over, he concurred. We both started jogging and encourage each other to the finish.

My finish
Within sight of the finish we picked up the pace. Now here was the best part of the race being held downtown in a major city, the crowds were cheering and lining the barricades, so we both went over and started giving folks high fives . All the pain dissipated and the elation of finishing the race was here. I told Brian to finish in front and I followed him, throwing my head to the sky, just thankful it was over, I had done it! I completed my first 70.3.
Post race

Last updated: 2013-03-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:00 | 2112 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: none
Course: This was a right-handed swim course (turning right on most buoys ) , the first one was about 300yds out from the lake.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: