General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Xterra Wetsuit vs. other brands Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-03-20 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: Xterra Wetsuit vs. other brands

My Xterra Vortex ripped due to TSA not caring about how they treat other people's personal property.  They left one sleeve hanging out and it was ripped off during travel.  The airline sent me a check to cover replacement and i was even nice enough to tell them I can get it at a discount instead of giving them MSRP.  If it were TSA, I'd give them MSRP just for their stupidity.  Apparently the airline can get reimbursed from TSA.

Anyways, how do Xterra's compare to other wetsuits in similar price range?  I've only owned an Xterra so I've never been in another wetsuit.  

Are there better ones, etc.  

Thanks.  

2013-03-20 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4667913

User image

Oakville
Subject: RE: Xterra Wetsuit vs. other brands

I've only owned an Xterra so I can't offer a comparison.

I have the Vortex 4 and I like the flexibliity of the softer neoprene, but the trade-off is that it is very fragile. 

Basically after every other race last year I was patching a few tears.

My wife has a 2XU (not sure which model) and it is much more durable than the Xterra. 

But at a sale price of about $160, I figure if the Xterra lasts me another season then it will have more than paid for itself.

2013-03-20 4:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

The Blue Seventy Reaction is a very nice suit.  The rubber is a higher quality, and they position the panels in such a way to promote better body position during the roll.  

I like the Orca S4 as well, but I've never worn one.  

2013-03-20 4:20 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
I have never owned an Xterra (I have an Orca) but I have heard good things about their suits and their customer service.  If you were satisfied with your Xterra, I would suggest staying with that brand.  Unless you are an excellent swimmer and can really benefit from the upgrades of other suits, an Xterra shouldn't hold you back.
2013-03-20 4:25 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

my first wetsuit was XTERRA Vortex 3 full.

I thought it was good for a cheap wetsuit, and worked ok for my races that needed it.

although it seemed to get tighter on me or was too tight to begin with. I don't know if the material stiffened up but seemed stiffer too. so I felt too squeezed in my last race.

I've have another wetsuit called Zone 3 Aspire. I'm hoping it works good too (haven't used it)

I researched them pretty extensively, lots to choose from...good to read reviews on them. I don't do a lot of wetsuit legal races so, I don't want to spend huge money.

2013-03-20 4:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
Israel / NJ
Look at huubs wetsuit! One of the best i have seen!

2013-03-20 5:27 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I have had two Xterra Vortex's and literally wore them out through an accumulation of cuts over the years of abuse.  It is a great suit for the money and I doubt you would see dramatic differences from other suits in the price range.

I raced in an Orca Alpha which feels so much better than the Xterra but it is expensive ($600).  I can't say I was much faster but the suit was much, much more comfortable with almost a sleeveless feel.  After my last Xterra expired, I picked up a used but like new Alpha online for a couple hundred dollars and use it for training now.

I have seen some great deals on used Blue Seventy Helix's ($200-$300) which is another very popular higher end suit.  If you knew for sure your sizing that may be another option.  I never had access to try one on before shopping online so went with what I knew. 

Edited by popsracer 2013-03-20 5:32 PM
2013-03-20 6:24 PM
in reply to: #4668069

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

temoniprince - 2013-03-20 6:27 PM Look at huubs wetsuit! One of the best i have seen!

I just bought one of these.  I haven't had a chance to swim with it yet but it was pretty comfortable when I tried it on!  I had an Xterra previously and had no complaints (ok, maybe it was a little too easy to get fingernail tears)

2013-03-20 6:26 PM

User image

New user

I have a NeoSport 5/3 NRG - I have had it for 3 years and use it weekly in sprint tri's aas well as longer races, lots of abuse but has held up well.  I would recommend taking a look at this as a real good/inexpensive option.
2013-03-20 7:02 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
When it comes to wetsuits, it's close to the saying that you get what you pay for. Xterra and huub Are solid companies offering very affordable entry level suits. There is a huge market for their products. But tyr, blue seventy, orca, etc have been around a bit longer offering higher quality stuff. I bought my first wetsuit 6 years ago and used it up until last year.

6 months ago, my lbs closed down and I purchased their entire fleet of wetsuits (50+) to sale and rent. I can tell you first hand there is a difference in the quality and craftsmanship. Is it worth it to spend an extra $150? That's for you to say. I did upgrade my suit with the nicest of the fleet and it is really nice.
2013-03-20 9:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

My Xterra definitely had a ton of patches on it.  After every race I was patching something on it.  I'm sure it didn't take much for TSA to tear it off.  Then again, it doesn't take much to close a suitcase properly either.

I know with my Xterra it took a bit for the shoulders to warm up.  Sometimes the tight suit constricted my movement at first.  After warm up I never thought of it again. 

I'll check out Huub and 2XU

2013-03-21 7:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
Had a Xterra Vortex 4 and loved it but after one year it started getting a lot of rips including the rear flap.  Wife had a Synergy Endorphine and has been rough with it and it has 2 fingernail rips after two years so I founds a new leftover for about $110 and snapped it up.  
2013-03-21 8:05 AM

User image

Regular
Canton, TX

Never had anything but my Synergy Adrenaline (full) but I have had it going on three years now and it looks new. I have not babied it at all its been through the ringer a few times.  I love the way it feels and the range of motion. I got it for 199.00

But it is the only suit I have ever swam in.  

2013-03-21 8:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
I picked up an Orca S4 late last year for a incredible price at $120.  Fits like a glove and I really like it, well made and the company is solid.  I bought it from a company back east, after purchase, because of such a run on these, they told me they did not have my size in stock and would not be getting any in. I contacted Orca, they in turn told me that they would ship one in my size to the vendor and would make sure I would receive the same price as I was quoted. Received it in 5 days, been happy ever since.  You just don't get that kind of CS much anymore!
2013-03-22 9:59 PM

Desoto makes the 2 piece suit that some of us prefer.
2013-03-23 9:57 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Blue Seventy Helix.  Best. Suit. Ever.

I know a guy selling one in perfect shape (only used a couple races).  What is your height/weight?  I can see if it will fit.

2013-03-23 11:27 AM

New user

San Diego

Good morning!

I might be a bit biased, but I only see one choice if you're looking for an affordable, high-quality product - XTERRA Wetsuits.  I've been with the company for over three years now, and I wouldn't feel confident working for a company that manufactures a product I don't personally believe in.  XTERRA Wetsuits has a complete line of wetsuits for every triathlete in mind - entry-level to professional (http://www.trifuel.com/news/2013/03/22/xterra-wetsuits-places-two-on-podium-at-ironman-los-cabos).

Since you buy directly from XTERRA Wetsuits, you not only save money, but you get the best customer service in the business.  We are experts when it comes to our products, so when you call/email/LiveChat us, you're speaking directly to XTERRA Wetsuits, not a reseller or distributor representing several other brands.

Triathlon wetsuits are designed as high-performance products; with increased flexibility comes decreased durability.  That's not to say that our suits are not durable, but if not properly cared for, stress tears and other damage can occur.  Minor tears don't affect the performance or integrity of the wetsuit if it's repaired properly; you can find instructions and a video of how to repair you suit on our website (http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/index.php/customer-service/repairs/).

If you have any questions about our products, let us know - we're here to make your swim faster and more comfortable without breaking the bank!

-Liz

[email protected]

858-565-9500

2013-03-23 12:51 PM
in reply to: #4671427

User image

xterraliz - 2013-03-23 10:27 AM

Good morning!

I might be a bit biased, but I only see one choice if you're looking for an affordable, high-quality product - XTERRA Wetsuits.  I've been with the company for over three years now, and I wouldn't feel confident working for a company that manufactures a product I don't personally believe in.  XTERRA Wetsuits has a complete line of wetsuits for every triathlete in mind - entry-level to professional (http://www.trifuel.com/news/2013/03/22/xterra-wetsuits-places-two-on-podium-at-ironman-los-cabos).

Since you buy directly from XTERRA Wetsuits, you not only save money, but you get the best customer service in the business.  We are experts when it comes to our products, so when you call/email/LiveChat us, you're speaking directly to XTERRA Wetsuits, not a reseller or distributor representing several other brands.

Triathlon wetsuits are designed as high-performance products; with increased flexibility comes decreased durability.  That's not to say that our suits are not durable, but if not properly cared for, stress tears and other damage can occur.  Minor tears don't affect the performance or integrity of the wetsuit if it's repaired properly; you can find instructions and a video of how to repair you suit on our website (http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/index.php/customer-service/repairs/).

If you have any questions about our products, let us know - we're here to make your swim faster and more comfortable without breaking the bank!

-Liz

[email protected]

858-565-9500

Amen to that.  My Xterra Vortex has been through some pretty extensive training, triathlons ranging from Sprint to Half Ironman, ugly mucky dirty water, sandy beaches, hot sun and it is still in great condition.  That I paid so little for it is awesome.  If I had to buy another one today it would again be an Xterra.

However, other wetsuits may have features that are marginally better depending to your swimming likes.  In the end I think most of these "features" are gimmicks and totally marginal.  But if $200 to $400 more for a wetsuit is a "marginal" amount of money for you then go for it.  But if you are a working stiff like the rest of us then I think it's pretty hard to beat Xterra.

2013-03-25 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4671427

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
xterraliz - 2013-03-23 12:27 PM

Good morning!

-Liz

[email protected]

858-565-9500

Hi Liz!  Now, don't take this the wrong way because I'm typing it.  I have a sincere question...and I swam in Xterra wetsuits for years and had great success with them, BUT...why don't you guys just price the suits lower?  Is there evidence that pricing a suit higher and then putting it on sale makes it look like you are getting a high quality suit for cheap?  So essentially you would get more people to buy it than if you just priced them all lower?  I would think that any person actually paying full price for an Xterra suit would be completely nuts.

2013-03-25 12:34 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-03-25 12:54 PM

Champion
New York, NY

I have an xterra sleeveless and a full sleeve blue seventy helix

I think xterra are too delicate on the outer layer - I am very careful and it is amazing to me how easily it tears

If I ever replace will be with another blue seventy probably but not an xterra

2013-03-25 12:58 PM

My .02, FOP swimmer.  I've only ever used Xterras, since 2005, and only ever bought two, and don't think I ever spent over $200 (or maybe a little more for the Vector, honestly don't recall) from various sales and deals.  Started with the bottom of the line model Vortex.  Had a ton of tears under the arm at the seam, they replaced it the next year.  Used that for 2-3 years, then bought the Vector pro a season or two ago.  I think the new suit is a little more prone to fingernail tears, which are 100% my fault.  I did notice yesterday on my first use this season that there is some tearing at the seam under the armpit.  That I do not like, but I suppose that's caused by the huge flow of water resulting from my massive swim stroke. 

I think the quality is OK, the customer service is really good, and the value for what you get is very good.  Are they the best?  Probably not.  But I do not treat my wetsuits that well, so for an investment of less than $500 for 8 years of triathlon use (as well as weekly OW swims), you can't beat that.

Edited by ChrisM 2013-03-25 12:59 PM
2015-02-23 6:07 PM
in reply to: guppie58

It really isn't even fair when you're comparing an Xterra wetsuit up against the other manufacturers (zoot,blue70,orca,huub etc). The Xterra brand is a cheap brand, hands down! They are fragile and use the most generic rubber. Yet people love them because when they order, they can enter their coupon code and get it for $140. Guess what? You're buying a $140 cheap wetsuit that can't compete with Blue70 or Orca or even Zoot for that matter. Do they use Yamamoto rubber in their wetsuits?
2015-02-24 9:01 PM
in reply to: fastball1977

Originally posted by fastball1977

It really isn't even fair when you're comparing an Xterra wetsuit up against the other manufacturers (zoot,blue70,orca,huub etc). The Xterra brand is a cheap brand, hands down! They are fragile and use the most generic rubber. Yet people love them because when they order, they can enter their coupon code and get it for $140. Guess what? You're buying a $140 cheap wetsuit that can't compete with Blue70 or Orca or even Zoot for that matter. Do they use Yamamoto rubber in their wetsuits?

I've never used any of those wetsuits, but I have had a 2XU wetsuit for 1 year and am very disappointed in the quality. It has 3 small tears already. Compare this to my 6 year old surf wetsuit which has taken a lot of beatings across sharp reef, never been washed in fresh water and is still going strong. Plus it was half the price. Sure it's a very different type of wetsuit and designed to take a certain amount of punishment, but I don't expect to pay $300 for a wetsuit and have it tear whilst swimming. If they're going to make sh!te wetsuits, sell them for $80..
2015-02-24 10:33 PM
in reply to: fastball1977

Pro

Originally posted by fastball1977 It really isn't even fair when you're comparing an Xterra wetsuit up against the other manufacturers (zoot,blue70,orca,huub etc). The Xterra brand is a cheap brand, hands down! They are fragile and use the most generic rubber. Yet people love them because when they order, they can enter their coupon code and get it for $140. Guess what? You're buying a $140 cheap wetsuit that can't compete with Blue70 or Orca or even Zoot for that matter. Do they use Yamamoto rubber in their wetsuits?

Unfortunately, this is exactly right.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Xterra Wetsuit vs. other brands Rss Feed  

of 2