General Discussion Race Reports! » C Different Triathlon at Telfair - Super Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

C Different Triathlon at Telfair - Super Sprint Course - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sugarland, Texas
United States
C Different
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 42m 23s
Overall Rank = 11/70
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

This was my first triathlon and first open water swim.

Woke up at 5am, got dressed, ate a couple honey stinger waffles, drank some Gatorade and was out the door at 5:15 am to pickup a friend. Transition open at 6am and were we there just a couple minutes later. I got a nice spot on the rack closest to the exit, which was good since I'd be hustling in cycling shoes
Event warmup:

I did a lot of walking around and about 5 minutes of jogging. I got in the water a little earlier than others and tried to get acclimatized to the colder temperature (It was 68 F and I wasn’t wearing a wetsuit). I did a very short warm-up swim, but I should have tried to do more.
Swim
  • 02m 59s
  • 150 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first open water swim. The swim distance was only 150m, which is basically my warm-up in the pool. However, the water was cold (68F) and the visibility in the lake was nil. We waded in for the start and a had a few minutes to get acclimatized to the temperature. I did a very short warm-up off to the side (but I don’t think it was nearly enough). Start is announced and I'm redlining it from the start - I didn't intend to but with all the adrenaline, I was telling myself to stop kicking so much, but my body wasn't listening. I sight - and I am going too far to the right, so I corrected. I swim some more and after sighting again I realized that I over-corrected and was about to broadside a bunch of swimmers. I corrected again but quickly hit a traffic jam by the buoy. GPS data says it took me about a minute to get to the buoy. While I did some practice in the pool turning, I wasn't nearly as smooth due to the other people. I didn't want to swim into people, but this caused me to slow. I tried to water polo swim around this group which was tiring and slow. Getting going again was also difficult and there were lot of people in the way. It took about 25 yards to be able to get some space and get going again.

My overall time compared to my pool time was pretty good so I am not too unhappy about it. (I am not good at turns in the pool). Even if everything went well, I might have gained 40 seconds at best.
What would you do differently?:

1. Be more aggressive in passing and going around people.
2. I need more open water swim practice, but given when I started training (December) this has been impossible due to water temperature.
3. Practice turning more
4. Not kick as much. Perhaps force myself to wait a second or two to start.

Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Jogged into transition, feeling a little tired/ disoriented from the swim, but not too bad. I didn't wear a wetsuit, so I had an advantage against those that did.

The only thing I did wrong was spending a little too much time drying my feet and getting grass blades off. I rather quickly corrected myself, got my cycling shoes on and headed out. My rack was near the mount point, so I didn't have to run far in my shoes.

I passed 6 people in transition, and got passed by 2.

Less time drying off my feet
Bike
  • 23m 5s
  • 6.3 miles
  • 16.38 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall it was a fairly good ride which was rather consistent with recent training time trials. Getting on, getting going, and clipping in was fairly smooth, helped by some recent practice as well as setting the crank arm in the right spot prior to transition.

I quickly passed some of the kids that exited T1 before me in the first mile. Then I started getting passed by a lot of people, mostly the riders doing the full sprint. Of those doing the super sprint, I ended up passing 5 people and getting passed by 5 others.

When we hit the 2nd u-turn, I noticed that this young girl wasn’t too far behind me, but more on that later.

Just need more time in the saddle. My bike segment is clearly my weakness.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Everything went fairly smoothly and was slightly faster than my practice runs. Some others were faster because they didn't wear cycling shoes.

There was a 16 year old guy who had the bike spot right next to me. He was out of T1 before me, but I passed him towards the end of the bike ride. He wasn’t wearing cycling shoes, so he was out of T2 before me.
Run
  • 13m 9s
  • 1.65 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

The previous races I have done (5Ks), there were so many people and almost everyone is significantly better or worse than you, so you are really just racing against yourself. However, here, since the race was smaller, it started to feel like you were racing specific people, which was a fun motivator.

The run went pretty well and I started passing people. First it a 47 year old who seem to have stomach cramps, then I passed a 61 year old who blew by me on the bike, then it was the 16 year old who passed me in T2, and finally it was a 19 year old girl who was always just ahead of me.

However, about 1/2 mile from the finish, the 13 year old girl passed me. there was 0.5 mile left in the run, and this 13 year old girl caught up to me (ages are written on the back of your thigh), which caused me to redouble me efforts. We were back and forth, culminating in an all-out sprint to the finish. Her parents were cheering her on, while my thoughts were "must not lose to 13-yo girl!!"). I eeked it out and retained my
"man-card" by less than 1/10th of a second. (see the 3rd photo)

The final timing shows I placed ahead of her, but with equal finishing times. times are only down to a 1/10th of a second, so the difference must have been less than that. Overall, I didn't finish any slower than anyone under 30 or over 50, so I can feel pretty happy.

Not a thing.
Post race
Warm down:

Dry heaved on the ground off to the side, past the finish line. Then got some water, food, and just walked around, talked to folks, and got my medal

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience in the open water.

Event comments:

As a side note for overall placement, I included the Clyd/Athena athletes and the First Timer group which were officially seperated in the overall rankings. I included the FTers since I was a first-timer myself, I just decided to race in my age group. So officially, without these groups, I was 10th out of 50. Amongst all men, I was 8th out of 30.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-01-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:02:59 | 150 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 18/70
Performance: Below average
My Timex GPS shows that I did a lot more than 150 m. (see photo)
Suit: None
Course: The swim course was in a small lake, which is very muddy and dark. It was a straight out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:23:05 | 06.3 miles | 16.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 16/70
Performance: Average
My Timex GPS said that the course 6.47 miles so my average speed may have been a bit higher (16.8 mph). It also showed that my peak 12 and 20 minutes was 18.5 mph and 17.6 mph, respectively. That indicates that I was tailing off towards the end, but also that I lost a a little time getting on and off. Data shows that I took about 18 seconds after transition to get on and start moving, but only a few seconds to dismount. So, average time actually cycling was about 17.1 mph based on Timex data.
Wind: Some
Course: We exited Memorial Park via a roundabout and headed south on Univerity Blvd. We made a u-turn at the first light and headed up to Lexington Blvd where we made a right. Lexington had a couple sharp corners and then we did another U-turn and headed back to Memorial Park.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:13:09 | 01.65 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 13/70
Performance: Good
Course: The course was a loop and third around Memorial Lake. The ground was crushed gravel, which I am not used to running on, but it was okay.There were some minor hills and lots of little turns.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-03-21 7:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: C Different Triathlon at Telfair - Super Sprint Course

2013-03-22 11:52 AM
in reply to: #4669683

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Subject: RE: C Different Triathlon at Telfair - Super Sprint Course

Nice Race Report.  Congtrats on your first tri.

2013-03-22 10:32 PM
in reply to: #4669683

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: C Different Triathlon at Telfair - Super Sprint Course
Thanks! It was fun. Looking forward to the next one.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » C Different Triathlon at Telfair - Super Sprint Course Rss Feed