General Discussion Triathlon Talk » General cabling question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-22 11:03 PM

Subject: General cabling question
Hi, basic question here but I'm new to this. The brake and shifter cables on my p3sl are too long and there's extra cable around the aerobar area that doesn't look pretty. All are installed and work fine, but I'm wondering what is easiest way to shorten them and make them have that clean look all zip tied together.Recable everything? Or can a shop just cut and reattach? I'm cheap also FYI.Thanks

2013-03-23 1:22 AM
in reply to: #4671202

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
Subject: RE: General cabling question
Cut and reattach.  But be careful not to make it too short and have sharp bends...  Little cut, little reattach..  Another little cut, another little reattach..  But if what you have works, I'd recommend just sticking with it (but I'm conservative like that).
2013-03-24 2:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

If you're cheap and have some mechanical aptitude, of course the best thing is to do it yourself. You just need a good quality cable cutter (I'm partial to this one) and a good sized metal file (to smooth down the brake housing ends after cutting). If you've never done it before, get help from someone who knows how to do this right, or read up in a good bike maintenance book, or learn from the park tools website--they have online guides about practically every bike repair topic.

2013-03-24 8:56 AM

Rochester, NY
I agree, cables that are too long bug me. As the other replies indicated you don't want to do this cold. Get a friend with the right tools and have him show you how or go to the shop and have them show you. If you buy the cable cutters from them they'll likely show you on a spare piece of housing for free. Don't be put off by the price of the tool, it's totally worth it in the long run. get some cable ends while you're there, you'll need them too. I also second the little bit at a time advice. Good Luck
2013-03-24 10:47 AM

Thanks all, glad to hear that I don't have to re-cable the whole bike.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » General cabling question Rss Feed