Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Construction Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-23 8:30 PM

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: Construction Advice
I've been doing some research for a project I am trying to do and have run into a dead end. I want to run a zip line from my sons' bedroom window to their playground structure in the back yard. I've most everything figured out on the construction side of it except one thing. The tensioning for the cable can put around 800 - 2000 lbs of pull on the anchors. I suspect we'll be somewhere in the 1,100 lbs ballpark considering drop (around 10 - 12 feet) and distance (around 150 feet). For the base, I have this taken care of, but for the peak I haven't a clue if my idea will work. What I want to do is drill a hole (thinking 5/8" - 3/4" sized?) through the exterior cement board, insulation and interior drywall, then take a steel plate around 14 - 18 inches wide and minimum 8 inches tall, to make sure I cover the studs, and place on the interior wall and bolt the anchor into place using that plate on the drywall side. The anchor would run all the way through the wall with the eyelet visible outside and sealed with epoxy, most likely. I've found some resources on hanging things on brick and cement board, but I'm having great difficulty finding anything that addresses any form of tension on anchors. Does anyone have any advice or resources that they can recommend? Or is anyone familiar with construction enough to know/see any flaws in this? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2013-03-23 10:42 PM
in reply to: #4671780

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Construction Advice
I've been in commercial construction for a long time. I am not an engineer but I know when to defer to one.
Studs are typically 16" on center. In my non-engineer opinion, I would spread the load over more than 2 studs. Cement board is not a structural feature.
Fastenal or White Cap, which are both national fastener distributors, may have some info on tensioning anchors.
IMHO, if I am going to put a 1,000 lb load on an exterior wall of my house and trust my child's safety to it, I would drop the $250-500 a structural engineer might charge you to run calcs.
2013-03-23 10:49 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I guess you can't edit from an iPhone.
Anyway, on the exterior you won't be sealing with epoxy; you'll seal with caulk.
If you are using steel, I would paint the exposed exterior steel to prevent rusting.
2013-03-24 7:12 AM

User image

20 year commercial construction guy and multiple hobby zipline builder here.  I have found more success and speed with less tension. Slack cable gives steeper descent at take off and a chance for decelleration at the end.  Totally agree with bolt all the way through the house to  a plate, use one outside also to protect siding hole.  If you are anchoring out side a window why not go right above it.  You will be drilling through the solid material of the window header which will span from multiple  to multiple stud.  You may actually want to use an angle instead of a plate on the inside, 4x4x1/4 gives greater strength against the pull than flat plate that is basically just assisting the house materials.  Honestly I would not want to put constant pull on the side of my house, if its just a temporary or special occasion you will not do any damage.  For a tense cable you will need a large turnbuckle sized to match your cable.  You will be shocked at how hard it is to get a cable that long tight.  150 footer is very heavy just hanging there.  Please use a harness and petzel cable pulley for the ride.  Little kids and visiting adults always land on there heads from that height.  Our #1 run involves a twenty foot climbing wall to the roof of the treehouse, 80 foot zip into a monster oak, and a 14 foot rappel to the ground.  My mobile party version uses simple ratchet straps to anchor to trees and a bakers scaffold platform.  SAFETY FIRST but you dont have to over think it.  
2013-03-24 8:48 AM

Master
Houston, TX
Thanks for the window idea, I'll probably go with that. I was thinking about the constant pressure set up because it was going to be permanent (until they don't want it anymore) fixture. I may have to consider a way to relax the tension when not in use. Maybe a wench of sorts. Otherwise the problem I have is that I don't think I have enough change in elevation between the two points to allow much slack, but obviously I'm going to try to get away with as little tension as possible. The cable is a 1/4" galvanized aircraft and I'm going to use a petzl simba harness w/ helmet. I think I'm going to use a bungee braking system to assist. Not sure trusting them to brake themselves is a good idea. Also considering a climbing safety class to get the kids associated with ropes and procedures like always being anchored to something when getting on and off the zip line.
2013-03-25 12:47 PM
in reply to: #4672007

User image

Expert
Montreal

The header over the window is designed to transfer the roof or floor gavity loads  and the associated  live loads across the window opening.  Lateral loads are ( tension loads)  typically not considered in the design of the header.   I would use the angle that was mentioned and span at least 16 inches to either side of the window.   Also check you play structure in the yard.  Not knowing how it is constructed, there is a good chance that adding a 1500 to 2000 lbs lateral load on the structure will most likely deform it or even cause it to overturn if it is not properly anchored.

No I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn express but I am a structural engineer.

Mike

2013-03-25 1:21 PM

User image

Regular
I've got nothing to add other than that is a very cool idea. In my current property search I need to add suitable place for a zip line out of the future kiddos window.
2013-03-25 1:55 PM
in reply to: #4673573

Master
Houston, TX
soloryder - 2013-03-25 12:47 PM

The header over the window is designed to transfer the roof or floor gavity loads  and the associated  live loads across the window opening.  Lateral loads are ( tension loads)  typically not considered in the design of the header.   I would use the angle that was mentioned and span at least 16 inches to either side of the window.   Also check you play structure in the yard.  Not knowing how it is constructed, there is a good chance that adding a 1500 to 2000 lbs lateral load on the structure will most likely deform it or even cause it to overturn if it is not properly anchored.

No I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn express but I am a structural engineer.

Mike

I was going to put a post hole around 5 ft deep and 12 ft high and counter anchor with two cables on opposite sides going into concrete and run the line over the play structure so that there wouldn't be any stress on it.

really worried about the window idea though.  I can just see ripping a window out of the house and the look on my wife's face.  May have to youtube it.

2013-03-25 3:21 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Not to be "that guy", but... 
Have you considered the impact of this on your homeowners insurance? Have you looked into local zoning laws and permit issues? Maybe I've lived in the NE corridor for too long, but I can imagine all sorts of legal/financial trouble. That said, I would have loved to have this as a kid or done it with mine when they were still at home.
2013-03-26 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4673925

Master
Houston, TX

mrbbrad - 2013-03-25 3:21 PM Not to be "that guy", but... 
Have you considered the impact of this on your homeowners insurance? Have you looked into local zoning laws and permit issues? Maybe I've lived in the NE corridor for too long, but I can imagine all sorts of legal/financial trouble. That said, I would have loved to have this as a kid or done it with mine when they were still at home.

Well I'm trying to figure out if I can do it without ripping a whole out in my wall first.  But yes, I have thought about those.  My neighbor directly behind me reported my play structure (because he's the neighborhood rep and is supposed to, so I don't hold it against him) to the Home owner's association, so there's no getting around that.  And yes I thought about insurance but I don't want to throw up any red flags unnecessarily.

On a separate note, I looked at it last night and I'm not sure I can use the window frame at the top.  While on the inside I have about a foot or so of wall space before the ceiling, on the outside I have about 3 inches between window and overhang.  I don't think I can get the support I need right next to the window because I won't be able to spread it out over enough studs.  And to put it where I do have enough studs, it wouldn't be close enough to the window for the kids to tie off onto it.  I'm not willing to do any major structural reconstruction for it either.  I'm having a feeling I'm going to have to either A) chalk this up to just a really fun idea or B) move it to somewhere else in the yard and basically change the whole concept of it.

Bummer.

2013-03-26 10:19 AM
in reply to: #4673925

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

mrbbrad - 2013-03-25 2:21 PM Not to be "that guy", but... 

I am an insurance agent...

What we don't know won't hurt us.

Now of course they are going to want you to take it down the first time one of the neighbor kids breaks his neck, but until then it shouldn't be a big deal insurance wise. 

2013-03-26 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4674826

User image

Sensei
Sin City

My fist thought was insurance rates...  Heck, they don't even like trampolines much less a zip line.

Civil engineer and dabble in structural.

Even though houses can handle WAY over a 2 kip (2000) shear load (horizontal).  Wind design loads are usually much higher.  Those are distributed loads and not a concentrated load.  The distributed load is taken up by all the members of the house and shear walls.  A 2 kip point load is bad news unless the structural member is specifically made for it.  The other problem is, houses are generally NOT structurally engineered so there is really no way to analyze is either.

No way I would do it unless a specific support was designed for it.  Even if the house can handle the load without failing, the vibrations transferred to the house during use could start cracking and other cosmetic damage.

If I were to do it, and do it right, I would probably sink a steel column next to the house in a concrete foundation.  Some quick calcs could tell you size of steel member and depth of footing.  That would take the bulk of the load plus isolated the vibrations from the rest of the house.

Just my 0.02 - which is double what my opinion is worth but .0001% of my billing rate.  It took me 10 minutes to write the post, so that's 25 bucks.  Invoice is in the mail.

2013-03-26 11:37 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I'm with Kido here -- fab up a separate steel structure so that it's not attached to the house. Truss it out so that it's solid.

But it sounds like an absolute blast.

2013-03-26 12:41 PM
in reply to: #4674684

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
jgaither - 2013-03-26 10:26 AM

Well I'm trying to figure out if I can do it without ripping a whole out in my wall first.  But yes, I have thought about those.  My neighbor directly behind me reported my play structure (because he's the neighborhood rep and is supposed to, so I don't hold it against him) to the Home owner's association, so there's no getting around that.  And yes I thought about insurance but I don't want to throw up any red flags unnecessarily.

On a separate note, I looked at it last night and I'm not sure I can use the window frame at the top.  While on the inside I have about a foot or so of wall space before the ceiling, on the outside I have about 3 inches between window and overhang.  I don't think I can get the support I need right next to the window because I won't be able to spread it out over enough studs.  And to put it where I do have enough studs, it wouldn't be close enough to the window for the kids to tie off onto it.  I'm not willing to do any major structural reconstruction for it either.  I'm having a feeling I'm going to have to either A) chalk this up to just a really fun idea or B) move it to somewhere else in the yard and basically change the whole concept of it.

Bummer.

Gotta be careful on the HOI aspect.  If you ever have a claim that is even not related to the zipline they can deny it due to "unsafe conditions".

Also you'd be a complete fool to allow anyone other than your kid to use it.  You're just asking for a lawsuit at that point.  And then your HOI is going to deny the claim.  You'll be on the hook for the damages.

2013-03-26 12:56 PM
in reply to: #4675139

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
TriRSquared - 2013-03-26 11:41 AM
jgaither - 2013-03-26 10:26 AM

Bummer.

Gotta be careful on the HOI aspect.  If you ever have a claim that is even not related to the zipline they can deny it due to "unsafe conditions".

Also you'd be a complete fool to allow anyone other than your kid to use it.  You're just asking for a lawsuit at that point.  And then your HOI is going to deny the claim.  You'll be on the hook for the damages.

I don't know of an "unsafe conditions" exclusion on a homeowners policy? Got an example to share for an inquiring mind?

2013-03-26 1:08 PM
in reply to: #4675163

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Aarondb4 - 2013-03-26 1:56 PM

I don't know of an "unsafe conditions" exclusion on a homeowners policy? Got an example to share for an inquiring mind?

If a pipe were to break then no... they probably cannot deny you.  However if you have a roof leak I can easily see how they could say it was due to the strain put on the structure by the zipline.

"Unsafe conditions" was my term.  Not a insurance industry term.  And probably the wrong choice of wrods.

2013-03-26 1:22 PM

Master
Memphis, TN

Structural/Civil Engineer here.  I'm not so concerned about attaching it to the window/house that can be done with work but how do you stop at the post buried in the ground at the bottom?  Neat idea.

And as someone mentioned, you had better talk to your home owners insurance agent before doing this because if you kids and friends get hurt doing this you had better pepper your angus when they lawyer up and they will lawyer up.

If you could post a picture, even a hand sketch, of the dimensions, I can take a look at it.  I work with cables on a daily basis in my business. 

I can look at the loads applied and suggest anchors based on that. 

Do you have a cable size in mind already? Are there any definite components you already have to work with/around?

PM me if you feel more comfortable that way.

2013-03-26 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4675194

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
TriRSquared - 2013-03-26 12:08 PM
Aarondb4 - 2013-03-26 1:56 PM

If a pipe were to break then no... they probably cannot deny you.  However if you have a roof leak I can easily see how they could say it was due to the strain put on the structure by the zipline.

"Unsafe conditions" was my term.  Not a insurance industry term.  And probably the wrong choice of wrods.

Oh gotcha, I thought you were referring to the liability portion of the policy ie the neighbor kid or that perhaps you had an experience were "unsafe conditions" were cited. Got me a bit curious. 

2013-03-26 5:08 PM
in reply to: #4675224

Master
Houston, TX
Jtiger - 2013-03-26 1:22 PM

Structural/Civil Engineer here.  I'm not so concerned about attaching it to the window/house that can be done with work but how do you stop at the post buried in the ground at the bottom?  Neat idea.

Take a bungee cord and anchor it in place on two sides, have the cord go through a block of (whatever material you want) that sits on the cable and as the trolley hits it, it slows until it stops.  Kind of like stopping a plane on an aircraft carrier.

If you could post a picture, even a hand sketch, of the dimensions, I can take a look at it.  I work with cables on a daily basis in my business. 

I can look at the loads applied and suggest anchors based on that. 

Do you have a cable size in mind already? Are there any definite components you already have to work with/around?

1/4" Aircraft Cable. Outside of the 3 inches of room (which I think would be going straight through the metal window frame) on the outside of the house, I don't think so.

(Zip line.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Zip line.jpg (42KB - 14 downloads)
2013-03-30 7:11 AM

User image

less hand wringing and more action man!  I expected pictures of joyous children this week.  With the eave so close you could bolt an angle to it and secure cable outside the house.  I strongly suggest figuring out how go slack with the cable.  Better speed and easy stopping will result.  Your pole in the ground will work for that, just go a little higher.  With my early attempts I went as tight as I could over a 75' run with a 6 foot drop (high anchor point to low anchor point) and a 75 pound kid barely traveled down the cable.  With a tight cable the pulley sort of creates a pinch point as it grabs at the cable to find gravity center.  My slack cable is mounted only 20" lower than high point and provides a free fall feeling at the start and continues to accelerate beyond the mid point.  At that point the slack has created an incline to the lower tree which slows the rider into a perfect landing. I envision your rider almost touching the padded lower post then floating back to off center for easy dismount.  I used buckets filled with concrete mix for all trials to get my slack just right. You are not building a commercial attraction, you are entertaining your children.  If you are nervous about neighbor kids simply exclude them.  I actually had adult neighbors offer to draw up a waiver (that would have been worthless had misfortune occurred) so that I would allow their kids to ride.  Once your design is tried and true share with confidence.  Its a lot more dangerous putting them on the school bus daily in my opinion.  Now get out there and try it already!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Construction Advice Rss Feed