General Discussion Triathlon Talk » North Florida Races Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-23 8:53 PM

Subject: North Florida Races

I'm trying to put together a race schedule for this year and this will be my first season here in Florida so I was hoping to get some feedback if possible 

I'm looking to get opinions/reviews on the races put on by State of Mind Sports, specifically the Lake Butler and St. Augustine races.  Is there a pretty good turn out for the races?  Are the courses good?  Both races look like just out and bike rides and runs but that isn't always bad.  How are the transition areas? And are they all chip timed?  The entry fees are extremely cheap compared to what I'm used to seeing back in Texas so I wasn't sure about the quality.  I'm also interested in doing some races put on by DRC, either the Jax series and/or the Crystal River series.  

I live in Gainesville and prefer to stick with races that don't require a lot of travel, so if there are some other good races in Orlando, Tampa, Clermont I would consider those as well.

Thanks!

2013-03-24 9:58 AM
in reply to: #4671791

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: North Florida Races
I have done a DRC race up in Madison, FL. It was the Olympic distance, It's in May and Madison is pretty close to you. They also have a sprint distance. The race was well run, the fields pretty good. I would definitely recommend it.
2013-03-24 10:04 AM

User image

Florida
Check out bfasracing.org  
2013-03-25 8:06 AM

Thanks for the BFAS suggestion, I didn't see those races listed on the trifind site.
2013-03-25 10:25 AM

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL

I haven't raced a state of mind race yet, but DRC does put on a good race.  Crystal river is a good one.  Well run, nice course.  In Sept there's the Hammerhead Olympic Triathlon in Starke.  Good race too, last year they started a sprint distance as well.

Gainesville has a pretty well organized tri club and they make a pretty good showing at local races.

Put HITS on your calendar for next year.  It was this last weekend and it's turning into a great event.

2013-03-26 7:09 AM
in reply to: #4673284

I've heard good things about the Hammerhead race and that is definitely a close race, I think I will put that one on the list for sure.  I'm glad to hear the HITS race turned out well.  I read some pretty bad race reviews on a couple of their races from last year, which I think was their first year?  

Thanks for the heads up on the Gville tri club.  I met up with them a couple of times later in the summer last year but never really had a chance to get involved with the club or do any races last year.

2013-03-26 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
I know it's a few hours, but the Panama City/ Destin area has some good races both in spring and fall. White Sands spring and Fall, Beach Blast (Oly and Sprint) both fall and spring in Mex Beach, Gulf Coast Tri is a long standing Half Iron distance race in may in PCB, and of course IMFL in November.  But like everyone says, you have great races all around you in Central FL, so good luck.  I have also done the Escape from Ft. DeSoto in the Tampa area and it's a great race. Sprint distance.
2013-03-28 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4672082

User image

Fort Walton Beach

tallytom - 2013-03-24 9:58 AM I have done a DRC race up in Madison, FL. It was the Olympic distance, It's in May and Madison is pretty close to you. They also have a sprint distance. The race was well run, the fields pretty good. I would definitely recommend it.

2nd that. The North Florida Olympic by DRC in Madison is a very nice race. It's in May. I'll be too busy to go this year, but would if I had time.

2013-03-28 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4677786

User image

Florida
lmihalcik - 2013-03-28 11:09 AM

tallytom - 2013-03-24 9:58 AM I have done a DRC race up in Madison, FL. It was the Olympic distance, It's in May and Madison is pretty close to you. They also have a sprint distance. The race was well run, the fields pretty good. I would definitely recommend it.

2nd that. The North Florida Olympic by DRC in Madison is a very nice race. It's in May. I'll be too busy to go this year, but would if I had time.

The N Florida was my first race and DRC was great to me. I'm doing it again this year.

2013-03-28 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4677786

User image

Florida
lmihalcik - 2013-03-28 11:09 AM

The N Florida was my first race and DRC was great to me. I'm doing it again this year.

2013-04-19 10:53 AM

Hi fellow Gainesvillian! I have done several events in Clermont and really enjoyed them. They are chip timed and very weel organized. We also did the Bfast in Jacksonville and one in Dunedin. The one we did in Jax seemed to be more elite and it was an ocean swim, which I didn't like. (I prefer lake swims)

We are doing the tomoka triathlon in May. It's only in its second year but it looks like a good event and I'm curious how the swim will be in the Intercoastal.

There are not a lot of tri's really close by - you'll almost always have to travel some. That one in Ocala looks like it's a good one - you should plan that one for next year.

2013-05-02 5:06 PM
in reply to: #4707045

That Tomoka Tri looks like a nice venue! I'm going to sign up for the Crystal River Tri on May 25th as my first race of the season and then plan races after that.  I'd like to get two half iron distance races in this year with my last race being the Amelia Man half iron distance in October I believe.
2013-05-03 9:52 AM

New user
I've done the North Florida Olympic and it is well run and a pretty good turn out. I've also done the bfast races and there is always a big turnout and some pretty fast folks - note that bfast has moved the race from ponte vedra to mayport naval station this year, which will make it interesting. DRC also puts on the Jax tri series which is in fernandina beach, and I've done them too. Good race and average turn out. pm me if you want more info on any area races, I've done lots of them.
2013-05-03 9:00 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
DRC races are very well run, haven't done any of the State-of-Mind events, I think they are rather small.  Hammerhead is a must as it is just about the only "local" race for G'ville.  The Jax races at Fernandina beach are great, Ameliaman this fall is on my calendar.  Gonna do the May25th Crystal River race, done several of these and they are fun.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » North Florida Races Rss Feed