User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Paris Mountain Triathlon
RookieIM - 2013-04-04 10:03 AM
Clempson - 2013-04-03 9:18 PM
pschriver - 2013-04-03 7:59 PM

From the SCTS Facebook page,

Current water temperature on Paris Mountain is 58 degrees F. We will continue to monitor the water temperature and keep everyone posted. NOTE - If the water temperature is below 61 degrees F on event morning we will be changing the event to a Bike-Run Duathlon format in accordance with posted safety guidelines by USA Swimming.

I'm out

wow. think i might pass too.... don't really want to do a duathlon, and don't want to swim in 61 degree water.

Ugh, I'd rather swim in 61 degree water before doing a duathlon.  Hate that I already paid for this race. I don't think I'm destined to do this race.  Last time I signed up it was canceled due to tornadoes.  I have a hard time believing the water temp could rise 3 degrees with the cold rain today and just one day in the 60's

after thinking about this a while, if it was guaranteed to be a duathlon id probably sign up.  i was hesitant on the tri because of the cold water to begin with; plus getting rid of my weakest leg wouldn't hurt my chances any :P

2013-04-04 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4671828

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

If you have not done this race before stick it out even if it is a duathlon...it is worth it.  It is a big test for your bike/run skills. 

As i said, I have only done it once the very first year...the swim was so short it might as well just been a duathlon.  It really is a fun race though, the bike section is tough until you get the Altimont Dr. then is is ROUGHT!.  The run portion is nice and smooth the first 1.5 miles...then it gets ROUGH!  We did not get into this sport to take the easy way out...GO FOR IT, CRUSH IT, HAVE A GREAT TIME and report back with results!!!

2013-04-04 10:18 AM
in reply to: #4686386

User image

Master
Clempson - 2013-04-04 10:16 AM
RookieIM - 2013-04-04 10:03 AM
Clempson - 2013-04-03 9:18 PM
pschriver - 2013-04-03 7:59 PM

From the SCTS Facebook page,

Current water temperature on Paris Mountain is 58 degrees F. We will continue to monitor the water temperature and keep everyone posted. NOTE - If the water temperature is below 61 degrees F on event morning we will be changing the event to a Bike-Run Duathlon format in accordance with posted safety guidelines by USA Swimming.

I'm out

wow. think i might pass too.... don't really want to do a duathlon, and don't want to swim in 61 degree water.

Ugh, I'd rather swim in 61 degree water before doing a duathlon.  Hate that I already paid for this race. I don't think I'm destined to do this race.  Last time I signed up it was canceled due to tornadoes.  I have a hard time believing the water temp could rise 3 degrees with the cold rain today and just one day in the 60's

after thinking about this a while, if it was guaranteed to be a duathlon id probably sign up.  i was hesitant on the tri because of the cold water to begin with; plus getting rid of my weakest leg wouldn't hurt my chances any :P

Funny, I was thinking the same thing in your case.

If you decide not to do the race but still want to ride Paris Mountain let me know. I was planning to start at the Caine-Halter Y around 10:30 once it warms up a little and then do a short run on the SRT after the ride. I am going to be at training pace since I have Charleston coming up in 2 weeks and don't want to beat myself up too bad at this point. You can feel free to drop me anytime.

2013-04-04 12:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
I'm still in; I used the credit from the canceled Columbia Downtown race to sign up for this, so I'm in regardless. I'm really bummed about the basically 100% chance it'll be a duathlon; I've been swimming a lot lately and wanted to see if I've improved. Oh well, should be an interesting morning.
2013-04-04 12:59 PM
in reply to: #4686841

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

WoodrowCall - 2013-04-04 1:49 PM I'm still in; I used the credit from the canceled Columbia Downtown race to sign up for this, so I'm in regardless. I'm really bummed about the basically 100% chance it'll be a duathlon; I've been swimming a lot lately and wanted to see if I've improved. Oh well, should be an interesting morning.

Don't worry about it.  This would not have been a good swim to judge your hardwork off of if you ask me.  It is too short and very shallow at the beginning...you could wade out a decent ways....

Kust use Clemson, that is going to be my first race of the season.

Edited by TriGuy05 2013-04-04 12:59 PM
2013-04-04 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Well, I just got an email from SetUpEvents. It sounds like the race will pretty much definitely be a duathlon, and this year will be the last time they have it. They just have too much trouble with cancellations at this time of year, I guess.

2013-04-04 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4686483

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
TriGuy05 - 2013-04-04 10:59 AM

If you have not done this race before stick it out even if it is a duathlon...it is worth it.  It is a big test for your bike/run skills. 

As i said, I have only done it once the very first year...the swim was so short it might as well just been a duathlon.  It really is a fun race though, the bike section is tough until you get the Altimont Dr. then is is ROUGHT!.  The run portion is nice and smooth the first 1.5 miles...then it gets ROUGH!  We did not get into this sport to take the easy way out...GO FOR IT, CRUSH IT, HAVE A GREAT TIME and report back with results!!!

Yea, I'm definitely still in.  This may be better for me anyway, as I'm still getting over a cold and struggling with allergies, so 60 degree water followed by a soaked bike ride wouldn't be the best for me.  At least this way I can bike warm.  I've wanted to tackle this course for a couple years and especially now since this will be the last year this is the last shot.  A 500 yard swim doesn't add a whole lot to the challenge, so adding 8 minutes of swimming to the beginning wasn't going to change the rest of the race.  

Should be a hell of a challenge that I'm looking forward to!

2013-04-04 3:33 PM
in reply to: #4687065

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

WoodrowCall - 2013-04-04 3:51 PM Well, I just got an email from SetUpEvents. It sounds like the race will pretty much definitely be a duathlon, and this year will be the last time they have it. They just have too much trouble with cancellations at this time of year, I guess.

didn't they do it in july last year?  was cancelled then too....

did they mention if it would be a r/b/r or just a b/r duathlon?

Edited by Clempson 2013-04-04 3:37 PM
2013-04-04 3:43 PM

So I was out when I thought it was going to be a tri.  Now that its going to be a duathlon i might be in.  I have a few questions though so I need the locals to help me out.  First off the race is already paid for b/c of last year.  Second my biking fitness isn't where I want it to be.  How bad is Paris Mountain, is it doable.  I am not trying to win, just finish.  Third my 10k time is at about an hour right now.  Lastly I really wanted to do this last year and then it was cancelled so I was bummed out and then I got the shirt in the mail and I wear it around but feel I have not earned it and I really want to earn it.  I know that sounds silly but that's me.  I am driving from Charleston also so that will factor into it somewhat.  Any help would be great.  Thanks, Michael
2013-04-04 4:33 PM
in reply to: #4687133

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Clempson - 2013-04-04 4:33 PM

WoodrowCall - 2013-04-04 3:51 PM Well, I just got an email from SetUpEvents. It sounds like the race will pretty much definitely be a duathlon, and this year will be the last time they have it. They just have too much trouble with cancellations at this time of year, I guess.

didn't they do it in july last year?  was cancelled then too....

did they mention if it would be a r/b/r or just a b/r duathlon?

"As of right now we expect the event to be held as a Bike-Run time trial start duathlon. As mentioned above, there is a strong possibility both the sprint and international distance events will be changed to a Bike-Run Duathlon time trial start event.  If water temperatures do not rise above 61 degrees by 7AM on Saturday we will change to this format.  All athletes will start numerically with the international distance starting at 8AM and sprint distance athletes starting at 8:15AM.  Open athletes will start first in each distance followed by age group athletes."

2013-04-04 4:35 PM
in reply to: #4687151

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

michael21 - 2013-04-04 4:43 PM So I was out when I thought it was going to be a tri.  Now that its going to be a duathlon i might be in.  I have a few questions though so I need the locals to help me out.  First off the race is already paid for b/c of last year.  Second my biking fitness isn't where I want it to be.  How bad is Paris Mountain, is it doable.  I am not trying to win, just finish.  Third my 10k time is at about an hour right now.  Lastly I really wanted to do this last year and then it was cancelled so I was bummed out and then I got the shirt in the mail and I wear it around but feel I have not earned it and I really want to earn it.  I know that sounds silly but that's me.  I am driving from Charleston also so that will factor into it somewhat.  Any help would be great.  Thanks, Michael

The bike isn't too bad, there are some steep parts, but they're short, so you can make it, no problem. If you have the day free, it should be fun enough. 

2013-04-05 7:44 AM
in reply to: #4687251

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
WoodrowCall - 2013-04-04 5:35 PM

michael21 - 2013-04-04 4:43 PM So I was out when I thought it was going to be a tri.  Now that its going to be a duathlon i might be in.  I have a few questions though so I need the locals to help me out.  First off the race is already paid for b/c of last year.  Second my biking fitness isn't where I want it to be.  How bad is Paris Mountain, is it doable.  I am not trying to win, just finish.  Third my 10k time is at about an hour right now.  Lastly I really wanted to do this last year and then it was cancelled so I was bummed out and then I got the shirt in the mail and I wear it around but feel I have not earned it and I really want to earn it.  I know that sounds silly but that's me.  I am driving from Charleston also so that will factor into it somewhat.  Any help would be great.  Thanks, Michael

The bike isn't too bad, there are some steep parts, but they're short, so you can make it, no problem. If you have the day free, it should be fun enough. 

Agreed, you can make it through the bike.  The climb is 1100' feet over 2.2 miles.  Rough yes but still achieveable.  The run is the same.  The first 1.5 miles is small rolling hills.  I used to run that park twice a week including the trail during cross county in high school.  It is a really nice run the first 1.5 miles with the climb starting at Sulfur Springs.  It is worth the time.

2013-04-05 1:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

It is a bummer that they canceled the swim this year but with the lower then normal temps we are experiencing you run that risk, especially this early in the season.

Good luck to everyone racing!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paris Mountain Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 2