Wabash River Runners Club
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 23m 53s
Overall Rank = 43/106
Age Group = F 50-59
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

The overall rank is showing wrong on the upper right side of this page. Don't know why it says 11 because on my page, it says 43, which is what I was. Just wanted to say that up front, so you wouldn't be impressed. :)

Woke up feeling rested after about 5 hours sleep and was able to down some oatmeal, part of a bagel with peanut butter and a banana with plenty of water. I'd been drinking water so much during the prior few days, so I was well hydrated. Two friends were doing this race with me and one had volunteered to drive so it was nice to be able to just relax, chat and laugh during the two hour trip. Ate a bit more of the bagel and drank some water during the ride.
Event warmup:

No plan to warm up for going 26.2 miles. We put our water bottles in the designated spot, got our race number and name bibs and really cool shirt, set up our personal aid station with a chair and the sweet sign that my hubby and kids made for me, then got back in the car to stay warm.
Run
  • 4h 23m 53s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

My one friend was trying BQ so she took off like a rocket. The other friend and I hadn't done a road marathon before and didn't know how to pace or what to expect of the day, so we decided to go around together until one or the other felt the need to push it or drop it. We hadn't trained together and hadn't really spent time in each other's solitary company so it was nice chatting and getting to know her. We both wore an outer jacket the first 3 miles but warmed up and were able to ditch the jacket at our aid station. Amazingly we kept at a consistent 10 mile pace through about 20 miles which was the best that I could hope for the day. I took a sip of water nearly each time I passed the table. I was able to down two gels, pretzels, a fig newton, oranges and various candy throughout the day. A little stomach queasiness occured in the later stages of the race, but it wasn't too bad. Between miles 20-21 I started feeling fatigue and took a little extra time at the aid station - downing some flat coke. I realized I wouldn't have the energy to catch back up with my friend and she ended up finishing 6 minutes ahead of me. Miles 21-23 were a struggle and I was kicking myself for only doing 20.2 as my long run in training. I'd followed Hal Higdon's intermediate training plan except scaled it back to 4 runs instead of 5 in a week. I had to give myself an attitude adjustment -deciding to either finish this thing miserable or finish it happy. Realizing that my best-case scenario of finishing in 4:30 was well within reach even if I walked the last miles (and I WANTED to), I told my whimpy self to get lost and I was able to finish at a slower pace, but finish happy.
What would you do differently?:

During the race I mentally asked myself the same question, thinking there's some magical formula I missed in training that would get me through the event faster/happier (such as running 26.2 in training so that my body wouldn't feel fatigue at 20 - ha, yeah, right!) Afterward, though, I realized I did what I could and made the most of the time I was given and I'm happy with that.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged my two friends (the one DID BQ so that was great news), chugged down a big cup of chocolate milk but couldn't stomach anything else. Chatted and stretched for a little while, but then grabbed our stuff, changed and headed home.

My hubby and kids came out to greet me when we pulled up in the car and when I got inside they'd gotten me a beautiful bouquet of daisies. Who could't count the day as wonderful to be surrounded by such love! :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience at this distance, both in training and racing.

Event comments:

This is an awesome race set-up and one that I highly recommend. It's a "litter-free" race where the participants bring your own water bottles and set up your own aid station. You pass by your stuff 26 times and are able to take off layers and grab items easily. Along with the traditional race number bib for your front, we were given race bibs with our name and city/state for your back so that when you were passed or passed by someone you could call eachother by name and be an encourgement. That's the heart of this race and I loved that. I was amazed that even though they limit it to about 100 marathoners and 20 relay teams, there were so many people from all over the country. Ron, from here on BT, passed me by so many times that I lost count, but it was so fun being able to give him a shout out each time. The volunteers were enthusiastic the whole day. They have two large screens with your time, name, bib number and number of laps completed each time you passed by the start/finish so you didn't have to track that yourself. It was just an awesome event all around and one I'm glad I chose for my first (and maybe last) road marathon. :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-01-05 12:00 AM
Running
04:23:53 | 26.2 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 11/106
Performance: Good
Course: This is probably the flatest marathon course in all of Indiana. It's a one-mile looped course in a community park which takes you on the paved asphalt path and a section of concrete sidewalk. You do a little extra jaunt on the first mile to get in the .2 distance, then every loop is just a mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-03-24 8:42 AM

User image

Subject: Circular Logic Marathon

2013-03-24 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4672005

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
Subject: RE: Circular Logic Marathon
Great job yesterday, it was really nice to see you.  Even though that was a flat marathon I think the turns wear on you after awhile.  I thought you did great and was always smiling when I saw you.  Nice job on gutting it out and finishing. Thanks for the cheers it gave me a big boost and really helped.
2013-03-24 3:00 PM

User image

Expert
MI
Brenda, sounds like you did great!!  And 26 laps?!  I don't think I could do that!!
2013-03-24 5:15 PM

User image

Calgary, AB
Congratulations Brenda!  Well done -- love the sign your family made Smile
2013-03-24 5:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Love your race report.  That is a great idea to have bibs for the front and back so people can cheer for you either way.  Didn't you just love the looping knowing that you would never be alone and never be far from your aid station, bathroom, etc?  But I've got to admit that I've so impressed with your steady pacing.  WTG!!!
2013-03-24 5:46 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Brenda, that was a well run race.  Congrats on your 1st marathon!  Nice to have support from your family!  Now when is your next one...lol

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Circular Logic Marathon Rss Feed