Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-03-26 9:53 PM
in reply to: #4675921

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Iron distance fueling
jdl2012 - 2013-03-26 9:36 PM

Oh how I wish I lived in the world without wind and air resistance and friction..sigh.

Ok... apples to apples.

To do 120 flat miles on a bike takes about 6 hours.

To do the same effort (power) up a mountain out here:  30 mile, 7000ft vertical climb, takes 5 hours, which includes the down hill.  And again I say same effort, gearing way down.  So if you think you can do the same effort twice on the mountain to get 120 miles... you did 10 hours, more than likely the second time takes you longer.    So the same effort:  6 hours vs 10 hours of riding, which one do you think burns more calories?

we are talking about someone's ironman race, even nice isn't that difficult. and i would agree, the total calorie demands are dictated by the time on the course, but that does not equate to what you initially stated.

2013-03-26 10:00 PM
in reply to: #4675411

South Texas

dcomiskey - 2013-03-26 2:35 PM I think you deserve kudos for being able to finish an IM on such short training AND on so few calories. Consider you probably BURNED that many calories in the first 2 hours...

OH, I wanted to say that in preparing for the event, and knowingly going into it on less than adequate training, I found a lot of useful information in these forums.

I trained with power and rode with power on the bike leg.  Knowing my FTP and lengthening my training rides while maintaining desired power levels, I determined a ceiling power for the ride.  I hoped that if I was disciplined enough to keep the power down I would have something left afterward. It worked.  I tried to keep the power under 150 (my actual was 144 so I was slacking).

2013-03-26 10:19 PM
in reply to: #4672103

2013-03-27 11:18 AM

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

yes, but as you go uphill you store potential energy = mgh, that you get back going downhill. so your total energy consumption is much more equivalent to a flat. In fact, a flat with a headwind could require more energy because you may not get an equivalent tailwind later, while you will always go downhill the same you went up. 

Regardless, calorie requirements arent goverened by your calorie expenditure. You are not looking to replace all the calories you consumed, just put in as many calories as you need to keep moving. So whether it is a flat course or a hilly course, you have a very similar calorie requirement for an Ironman.

2013-03-27 11:59 AM

Pro
Nice work! 

2013-03-27 12:00 PM

2013-03-27 1:25 PM
in reply to: #4676647

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I'm not a coach, and I will stand by my statement that calorie expenditure does not govern your intake requirements for a race.  In a Sprint I'll burn around 1,000 calories, and take in ZERO.  In an Ironman I might burn 10,000 calories, but I'm sure as heck not eating that much.

Your body can only take in XXX calories per hour, depending on the person. So if its all uphill you will be eating say 300 calories per hour. If its all flat you will still be eating the same amount per hour, even if more calories overall were burned during an uphill race.

Edited by dmiller5 2013-03-27 1:29 PM
2013-03-27 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4676809

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
dmiller5 - 2013-03-27 2:25 PM

I'm not a coach, and I will stand by my statement that calorie expenditure does not govern your intake requirements for a race.  In a Sprint I'll burn around 1,000 calories, and take it ZERO.  In an Ironman I might burn 10,000 calories, but I'm sure as heck not eating that much.

Your body can only take in XXX calories per hour, depending on the person. So if its all uphill you will be eating say 300 calories per hour. If its all flat you will still be eating the same amount per hour, even if more calories overall were burned during and uphill race.

x2.  Calories consumed has virtually zero correlation to calories burned.  Calories consumed are dictated more by how many you can digest, and even then, IME, more people over-fuel than under-fuel.  I've personally completed a VERY hilly 6:48 HIM on approximately 800 calories and felt great.

Also, calories burned for s/b/r can be estimated most simply by using these formulas and forgetting about hills (unless it's a point-to-point course with a significant net elevation gain or loss):

Swim 100 cal / 400 m

Bike .35 cal / kgkm

Run 1 cal / kgkm

There are so many other variables that tend to either cancel each other out, or are too complex to quantify, that these simple formulas are accurate enough for most purposes.

2013-03-27 1:58 PM

2013-03-27 2:25 PM
in reply to: #4676839

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

jdl2012 - 2013-03-27 2:58 PM If you are, say, burning 2x as many calories as you are taking in, you are then burning much from reserves and therefor your speed will be less.  But if somebody has 1% body fat and they are doing the ironman(kona: windy and hilly and hot) , at that burn rate, regardless if they are a pro-athlete, wouldn't do well in that race... perhaps not even finish.   What are those athletes doing to overcome the fuel issue?

A couple thousand calories stored in glycogen, + a couple of 10,000 calories stored in fat (Nobody is 1% BF, even pro triathletes. Low single digit body fat causes all kinds of health issues. I've never seen statistics, but I'd guestimate that most are between 7% and 10%.) + fuel consumed in the hours before the race and on the course = plenty of energy for an IM with much to spare.  There is no fuel issue.

I'm curious why you say that burning fat causes you to be slower?

ETA: You questioned how someone can burn 2x what they consume and not run out of energy.  In the race I mentioned in my other post where I consumed 800 calories, I estimate my caloric burn at 4,000+/-, so I actually burned about 5 x what I consumed. 

Edited by TriMyBest 2013-03-27 2:29 PM

2013-03-27 2:29 PM

Champion
Philly 'burbs
I have nothing helpful to add, so I'll just note that I never met a carb I didn't like.
2013-03-27 2:35 PM

Edited by jdl2012 2013-03-27 2:37 PM
2013-03-27 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4676905

Pro
jdl2012 - 2013-03-27 2:35 PM

"I'm curious why you say that burning fat causes you to be slower?"

My understanding is that High level Aerobic Heart Rate burns glycogen where as Low level Aerobic Heart Rate burns fat.  So hence to tap fat, your body's efforts will drop to that heart rate zone.

"couple thousand calories stored in glycogen, + a couple of 10,000 calories stored in fat" 

So if this is true I could run an easy pace all the way up the mountain(7000ft vertical climb) for this marathon, Not have to eat anything, but make sure I drink appropriately(water and electrolytes but NO sugar), and I will be fine? 

(Just to add:  there is no return trip down the mountain)

You do realize that plenty of people run marathons without taking in any nutrition, right?  I've only ran one, but I didn't take anything but water.  I ran a HIM and ate 2 hammer gels on the bike and ended up sucking down a couple cups of coke on the run......felt fine.

I'll work out the IM fueling for the race I'm training for.....but I don't plan on needing a buffet.

2013-03-27 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4676905

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

My understanding is that High level Aerobic Heart Rate burns glycogen where as Low level Aerobic Heart Rate burns fat.  So hence to tap fat, your body's efforts will drop to that heart rate zone.

"couple thousand calories stored in glycogen, + a couple of 10,000 calories stored in fat" 

So if this is true I could run an easy pace all the way up the mountain(7000ft vertical climb) for this marathon, Not have to eat anything, but make sure I drink appropriately(water and electrolytes but NO sugar), and I will be fine? 

You burn a combination of fat and glycogen as you excercise. It is not an either or, it is a sliding scale.  The harder you go, the more the scale slides towards glycogen because your body is able to burn it at a higher rate.  In a marathon or Ironman race, you cannot go at a pace that burns mostly glycogen because you do not have enough reserves in your body to do that indefinitely. (Maybe a pro marathoner could get away with it running a low 2:XX marathon. but none of us are doing that).  It is true, eating helps you to go a bit faster, but this is because it is keeping your blood sugar from dropping too low and is providing you with some easier to burn fuel to supplement your glycogen stores.  Go out for a workout, run hard for 3 hours, and try to actually consume 3,000 calories of food. You will soon find that you not only can't eat this much, but that your body will not process and digest the food effeciently if you are at a high work rate.  The body diverts blood flow away from the digestive system at higher efforts to bring more oxygen to your muscles. You have to find a balance between effort, calorie intake, race length, and fitness to really plan out your ironman (or marathon) pace and nutrition. I would recommend trying out your nutrition plan on your training runs to really dial it in. To start I would try 200 calories/hour and go from there.

2013-03-27 4:25 PM
in reply to: #4676986

South Texas
dmiller5 - 2013-03-27 3:30 PM

You burn a combination of fat and glycogen as you excercise. It is not an either or, it is a sliding scale.  The harder you go, the more the scale slides towards glycogen because your body is able to burn it at a higher rate.  In a marathon or Ironman race, you cannot go at a pace that burns mostly glycogen because you do not have enough reserves in your body to do that indefinitely. (Maybe a pro marathoner could get away with it running a low 2:XX marathon. but none of us are doing that).  It is true, eating helps you to go a bit faster, but this is because it is keeping your blood sugar from dropping too low and is providing you with some easier to burn fuel to supplement your glycogen stores.  Go out for a workout, run hard for 3 hours, and try to actually consume 3,000 calories of food. You will soon find that you not only can't eat this much, but that your body will not process and digest the food effeciently if you are at a high work rate.  The body diverts blood flow away from the digestive system at higher efforts to bring more oxygen to your muscles. You have to find a balance between effort, calorie intake, race length, and fitness to really plan out your ironman (or marathon) pace and nutrition. I would recommend trying out your nutrition plan on your training runs to really dial it in. To start I would try 200 calories/hour and go from there.

My experience, in training for this event knowing that I would have fueling issues, correlates with your statement.  Because I monitored my blood sugar level to the extent I did, both during training and non-training, I found that eating could be counterproductive even when it was food that did not create a blood sugar swing.  This loss of energy was apparently due to the body diverting its attention from what I wanted it to be doing to the chore of digestion.  In all honesty the only reason I ate anything during the IM was because I knew from training rides that my stomach would let me know that it was empty at about 100 miles (hunger pains I think they are called).  I am pretty sure I could have completed the distance without eating but that was due to the low energy expenditure because I went easy on the bike.

I think that your statement, "really dial it in" hits the nail on the head. Everybody and every body is different and what they need, whether perceived or actual, is going to be different and though there are rules of thumb that can be used as a starting point it is best to put in the time and figure out what works best for the individual.

2013-03-28 7:06 AM
in reply to: #4675956

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
jdl2012 - 2013-03-27 12:19 AM

Calorie is a unit for measuring energy or work done.   So E or W = mgh is correct and the big one.  When you involve time you can use:  summing(small time intervals of applied force@velocity) or standard F*d.

I wanted an easy way of relating 120 flat miles to 120 hill miles, so I used time.  But mgh is the reason for the big burn.

However, you are missing a rather large issue when it comes to endurance performance and energy expenditure. Since you invoked the integral, I will leave it as an exercise for you to figure out where that issue lies.

Shane
2013-03-28 7:12 AM
in reply to: #4676647

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
jdl2012 - 2013-03-27 2:00 PM

You never get the energy expended back going down hill.  And if you coast downhill your energy loss will be about 0.

Yes, however if you coast down, the stored gravitational energy from climbing will be mostly returned in descending (unless one rides the brakes the whole time). So that energy is returned to the bike/rider system.

Since I think you are a coach?... Maybe you could help me, I have a marathon coming up where the whole thing is up a mountain.  I am trying to figure out what to do about food for this thing.  Regular marathons are flat or downhill and I don't have to eat.  But this monster?  I know from experience of cycling or running up hills, I need to eat during the event... or I will not finish.

Depends on how hard you are going to run, your glycogen stores prior to the race and how long it will take you to finish. Assuming that you are going to go for a good performance and not just run easy, then you will likely need to eat. However, you should also be eating on all marathons if you are looking for your best performance.

Shane
2013-03-29 6:38 PM

South Texas
Subject: RE: Iron distance fueling (follow up)

I had a lot of tests run on Tuesday because I woke up SICK with high fever from a UTI.  I went to the Dr. and then to the hospital (where I stayed for a few hours). 

The results of the tests were interesting in that my CK level was 653 (not sure of the units) and normal is around 150-170. I did some research and found out that a 600-700 value is not uncommon 48-72 hours after completing an IM.

There was a protein level (don't recall the name) indicative of muscle break down that the kidneys have trouble filtering efficiently.  This caused the Dr. some concern and was the reason I had to lay around for an IV. I was not dehydrated (I promise).

I discussed, with the Dr., the likelihood that the protein level was due to my fueling and would the UTI be also attributable.  Dr. said the protein was probably due to my muscles breaking down for fuel and that the UTI was NOT related to that.

In another thread http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=482528&start=1 there is a discussion of whether it is possible to complete 140.6 miles without any fuel at all and I would have to say, "yes. without a doubt." (There's a line from the wiki entry on the Bataan death march that says, "Prisoners were given no food for the first three days, and were only allowed to drink water from filthy water buffalo wallows".)

This thread, and the linked one, remind me of my prevailing thought this past week, "No more hundred mile training rides!"  I LOVE to ride a bicycle. It is the closest this 51 year old man gets to being a kid again. I love mountain bikes and road bikes and time trial bikes, but it got to the point that I didn't enjoy going for a ride I felt obliged to go.  The posts, on this topic, have ranged from incredulity to contentious to almost calling people fibbers and I don't understand why.  This is supposed to be a sport and this site is supposed to be aimed (I think) at providing encouragement and support to those who want to participate and not deriding and defaming.

My only regret, from the past weekend event (besides the fact that my mom fell down the day before the race, broke her leg, and couldn't see me in the ONLY IM distance event I will ever be in) is that I could have gone harder.

I am thankful to those who have sought to understand my statements and I appreciate the information I have obtained from this site.

Peace.

JWR

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Iron distance fueling Rss Feed  

of 2