General Discussion Triathlon Talk » anyone use toe clips on their pedals Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-30 5:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dorset
Subject: anyone use toe clips on their pedals
i am a newbie, and can't really invest in pedals/cleats/choes combo so was wondering if i could improve my cycling efficiency, and ability to keep my feet in place by using toe clips of some sort so i can just use my trainners. has anyone had experience with these or anything similar, i remember seeing foot plates or something mentioned a while back

any advice would be very much welcomed

2004-06-30 6:01 AM
in reply to: #34465

User image

utah
Subject: RE: anyone use toe clips on their pedals

i use toe clips/cages on my bike.  they are great and not so great.  i can usually easily get in and out of them though if the shoes that i am wearing are wide then i sometimes have a bit of trouble.  And once in a while i forget that i have to take them out before i stop...LOL. the best part about them is they came with the bike so i didn't have to buy them.  i don't think that it would be easy to take them on and off though either if you need to change out of them often.  just my opinion

I am hoping to get a pair of clipless and cleats soon.  i think i'm going to go with spd so that i don't have to change from cleats to reg. shoes as i ride to work a lot.  though i suppose i'll have to see as i usually run at lunch so i'd have to change to running shoes.  Hmm sounds like i need a cabinet just for all my training stuff-- LOL.

good luck

2004-06-30 6:11 AM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
I've got straps that fit around my pedals that I can slip my feet into and out of relatively easy. I just got them a few weeks ago and am still getting adjusted to them. I couldn't justify upgrading to clippless pedals and shoes especially if I decide to get a new (and better) bike next year. So I figured this was a cheap compromise for now
2004-06-30 6:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dorset
do u find they make a difference to your pedal stroke, towards the direction that pedals/cleats would?
2004-06-30 6:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
I have toe clips. It is more effecient than not having anything on the pedals at all. I use them because right now it is easier to change shoes once during a race instead of twice. Eventually (2 years or so) I may get clipless, but who knows.
2004-06-30 8:17 AM

User image

New Hampshire
I’m finding that I have a lot of trouble with the toe clips because I have such wide feet. The focus of my downstroke seems wrong using them. I can’t afford the full bike shoes etc.

I mean the clips work and are probably more efficient than nothing but it just doesn’t seem right yet.

2004-06-30 8:43 AM

Regular
Noblesville, IN
I think the difference between clips and no clips is far greater than the diff between clipless and clips. Get the clips. But you may want to get some that are more for a mountain bike as they'd be easier w/ running shoes to get into. (at least that was the case between my road bike pedals (metal clips) and mountain bike pedals (plastic clips).)

I lusted after clipless for years and I have a system now and I dig it. But I remember going from plain old shoes to clips back in the day and that was a much bigger change. You can pedal more in a circle and it forces you to pedal w/ the ball of your foot rather than the arch.

Even if it takes you 30 seconds to get in em, i think you'll like it better.
2004-06-30 8:45 AM

Regular
Noblesville, IN
Doh - when I say clipless - I mean a clipless snap in system like Look. Naturally, plain old pedals are without clips too.
2004-06-30 10:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Marietta, GA
I use toe clips on my pedals right now until I can invest in a new bike, and you know what...i love 'em!

It makes that T2 transition that much faster not having to change out shoes

cheers
2004-06-30 10:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Golden Colorado
I use clipless pedals right now but the best thing I ever used were some straps that I picked up at performance bike - They are called powergrips. - I used them on my mountain bike when I was a little afraid to go with the clipless pedals and they made a world of difference - Easy to get in and out of but once you are in they are tight enough to really make a difference. They fit on mt. bike pedals but I had them on my road bike for a while and they were great - here is the link.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=1401
2004-06-30 11:16 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

The bigest gain you are going to get in pedaling efficiency will come from having some system that keeps your foot attached to the pedal, either toe clips or a clipless system. Those who have pointed out that old-school toe clips are <b>almost</b> as good
as a clipless system are, infact, correct. One major trade off is comfort, toe clips can rub your feet the wrong way. You will alsolose a little efficiency by using a soft-soled shoe, but probably not enough to matter.I have never used powergrips, but everyone who I know who has used them has a positive report.

Long story short, get your feet locked in, somehow.

Toe clips can be had for cheap, they allow you to ride and walk (or run) in the same shoes you ride in, Eddy Meryck won 5 TDF's with them. Clipless systems work a little better, but cost is a factor.

2004-06-30 1:36 PM

What's the difference between toe clips and cages?
2004-06-30 3:07 PM
in reply to: #34547

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Those who have pointed out that old-school toe clips are almost as good
as a clipless system are, infact, correct.

I'm really surprised by that. I was under the impression that clipless were much more effective than toe clips. U r saying that as long as u have either it's more efficient than nothing?!?!? Doesn't seem worth the effort and expense to upgrade from toe clips then on an average bike (in my case a Specialized Sirrus road bike). Hmmm more food for thought.

So would say it's the bike or the leg power that causes most riders to pass me on the hills?
thanx, Mark
2004-06-30 6:16 PM
in reply to: #34625

Regular
Noblesville, IN
Yeah man. I'd much rather have aero bars than clipless pedals. I think clipless pedals are just cool. I don't personally experience that much gain. BUT - i had eventually gotten rigid bike shoes for the clips too. BUT, the clipless allow for your heal to 'float' a bit side to side a certain number of degrees. My knees are happy with that.
2004-07-01 3:15 PM
in reply to: #34685

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Actually, I've read that clipless pedals would give you the most efficiency for your buck out of any enhancement, and that aerobars were a far second. I'll have to look for that article...
2004-07-01 3:26 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
I love my new clipless LOOK pedals and SIDI shoes. I don't know enough to tell you that one brand is better than another, but the comfort and efficiency is a noticed difference from the cages and softer shoes that were used before the change. If you can afford it, I recommend it. This is coming from a new guy!

Edited by Cavu9 2004-07-01 3:27 PM

2004-07-01 3:48 PM
in reply to: #34868

Regular
Noblesville, IN
the bear - 2004-07-01 2:15 PM

Actually, I've read that clipless pedals would give you the most efficiency for your buck out of any enhancement, and that aerobars were a far second. I'll have to look for that article...

True that could be for sure. I'm just speaking from my own 'sperience. Now $ per efficiency gain comparison would be cool to see like your sayin (similar to $ per horsepower in cars - nice.) Very interesting, let me know if you find it. But its too late for me since I've already bought all that .

I haven't purchased super cool wheels though yet. Hmmmm. Reduced spokes, tri spokes, solid wheel. Maybe we need a 'from new bike' do things in this order sorta deal for us on a budget. Spend first $100 on this, spend second $100 on that. heh.

Back to pedal 'systems'. I see 4 different types.

1) Plain old pedals - plain old shoes.
2) Clips - plain old shoes. (well, maybe they are new Saucony's.)
3) Clips - cycling shoes.
4) Clipless - cycling shoes.

I think there is a step up for each level to varying degree. And then for the $ to aerobar comparison we'd need to know if the shoes are included too. Pedals and shoes being more $ than clip on bars (I think) would need to have that much more performance gain ya? But maybe they assume you have some cycling shoes you can change the cleat out on. That would be interesting to see.

And there is comfort too. I think aero bars are comfy for me. No more hands falling asleep, gotta keep elbows bent, funny cycling glove suntan for me.

- Addicted to spending money on my bike...
2004-07-05 5:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dorset
thanks everyone, in the end i went for powergrips, havent tried them yet but will do tomorrow
2004-07-05 9:31 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
I think this subject has been pretty much covered by everyone... one thing that I'd add is that you should be wary of the strap kind of clip pedals because they cause you tojam your toes into the front of whatever kind of footwear you may be using... you really should make sure the shoes you're working with fit extremely well and there's some extra room in the toe box. Clipless pedals (the type with the lock in shoe) do not cause this problem because you're attached at the bottom of your foot... the only thing about the shoes is that it can be tricky to find something very comfy depending on your foot... Just my two cents...

Mike
2004-07-06 8:44 PM

For those who are on a short budget, take a look at http://www.pricepoint.com. They have some great deals on pedal/shoe combo's that are a really cheap. I mean cheap in a good way. The products are all name brand but at great prices. I think that once you change to a pedal/cleated shoe, you will find it well worth the investment. Take a look.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » anyone use toe clips on their pedals Rss Feed