General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Full Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Full Iron Course - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ocklawaha, Florida
United States
HITS Triathlon Series
81F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 13h 38m 53s
Overall Rank = 41/64
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 7/10
Pre-race routine:

Nothing huge, had a Clif bar at 5am, and then a Hammer gel maybe 15 min. before the race started.
Event warmup:

Other than walking back and forth shuttling my gear to transition, nothing really.
Swim
  • 1h 15m 15s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good course, slight breeze and a few tiny showers during. Start delayed by 15 min. due to a downpour (no lightning, thankfully). Rasonably well-behaved crowd of 450 starting all at once (half and full started together). Lots of kayaks and boats for safety, slightly dark at the start so the first buoy was a little hard to see, but the rest were no problem.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, just keep training!
Transition 1
  • 06m 51s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers made that easy. No real hassles in T1, easy in/out.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 6h 19m 25s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride. Poss. a little too fast, but my time was right where I wanted it to be (between 6:00 and 6:30). I was run off the road by a car around mile 25, but the bike and I were fine. Maybe cost me 3 min. total checking things over and straightening out a pushed over shifter (I went off the bike). Ate a Clif bar at halfway, other than that I had 200-250 kcal/hr of gel/heed on the ride. I hit the 100 mile mark at 5:37, a PR for me.

Maybe back off 0.5-1.0 mph.
Transition 2
  • 06m 38s
Comments:

Nothing remarkable, I did appreciate the volunteer slapping on the sunscreen.
Run
  • 5h 50m 43s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I was expecting a 5:00, maybe 5:30 run. I was slower than this by 0:20. The dirt section felt slow, but really I just need to train more.

Train more. I'm a relatively brand-new runner.
Post race
Warm down:

Packed car, wandered around, ate.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me.

Event comments:

Well-run race. Not tons of pre- and post-race "flash and sizzle," but for $150 advance registration, it exceeded expectations. Not sure if it's going to be worth the $300 pre-race registration it's jumping up to next year, though....and definitely not worth $600 full-price.

Last updated: 2012-09-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:15:15 | 4224 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 22/64
Performance: Good
Suit: Vortex 4 Full
Course: Triangular, 2 laps. Each leg of the triangle was roughly 2/3 mile. Very clean lake, some shallow sections (waist deep).
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:51
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:19:25 | 112 miles | 17.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/10
Overall: 35/64
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Two out and back loops going roughly North/South. Winds from the South, starting calm and getting to 20 mph, gusting to 25 according to NOAA's weather history for Ocklawaha, FL on that day/times. Small rollers most of the way, but not "hilly."
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:50:43 | 26.2 miles | 13m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/10
Overall: 43/64
Performance: Average
Course: Four figure eight loops: first 3.5 mile circle on dirt, then 3.0 or so on pavement w/ gentle inclines/declines.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-03-25 4:02 AM

Subject: HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Full Iron Course

2013-03-25 8:24 AM
in reply to: #4672925

User image

Subject: RE: HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Full Iron Course

Congratulations on finishing this Full! I ran the half and I cannot imagine completing this full. I'm not sure what I would have done on that trail in the dark. Kudos to you!

Sadly, I am not surprised you had an issue with a car on the bike - this is the only race I've ever done where I felt potentially unsafe on a race course. I saw a very aggressive car (red porsche) and 3 times I had to slow for automotive traffic that was backing up behind cyclists. I actually took the time to find an employee for HITS and told them please share with the RD that at least for me I wouldn't consider this race again unless they closed some of the roads or had more coverage to keep the riders safe. I'm not sure why this race this was an issue because all of the 70.3s I've done the roads were open to traffic ... but it was. So hopefully they can improve on that.

2013-03-27 11:50 AM
in reply to: #4673063

User image

Veteran
Decatur, GA

Nice job!

I did the full, and it was a long lonely day.  I also had a lot of problems on the bike with cars being too aggressive.  I emailed the race director directly and he responded that his goal is to have the roads closed for next year's race.

2013-03-27 8:13 PM
in reply to: #4672925

User image

That's good to hear. I don't know if it will bring me back but it's possible.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Full Iron Course Rss Feed