Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Open Water Swim in Windsor/Essex County? Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-25 8:58 AM

Subject: Open Water Swim in Windsor/Essex County?

My friend and I are training for our first Olympic triathlon this June. I recently purchased a wetsuit and I've read it's a good idea to get some practice in open water as it can be quite different from a pool. We're planning to do a couple open water swims in May and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for where we could swim in the Windsor/Essex County region. From what I've read online, Cedar Creek Beach and Seacliff Beach seem to be possible locations. 

Thanks in advance!

2013-03-26 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4673119

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario
Subject: RE: Open Water Swim in Windsor/Essex County?

We had a group that used to swim at Cedar Creek and it is not bad by Essex County standards. I think the masters swim class in Leamington does some open water swims on the east side of Pelee Island to get ready for the Leamington triathlon. May is fine, but coliform counts get pretty high at most area beaches by mid-summer.

Open water swimming, particularly in a wet suit, in a crowd of people and in murky and cold water, is vastly different from pool swimming. You want to get as many open water swims in as you can before your race.

2013-04-04 12:41 PM
in reply to: #4673119

User image

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
Subject: RE: Open Water Swim in Windsor/Essex County?
I will be doing some OWS at Cedar Beach and Stop 26 in Windsor.  I will post here when our group goes out.  OR, check out the Windsor Tri Club on facebook.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Open Water Swim in Windsor/Essex County? Rss Feed