General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Half Iron Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ocklawaha, Florida
United States
HITS Triathlon Series
70sF / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 53m 38s
Overall Rank = 28/304
Age Group = female
Age Group Rank = 1/85
Pre-race routine:

Took my sweet time getting ready at the hotel and got to transition later than I had wanted and had to hurry to set everything up. But luckily this meant I was still in transition when it started raining so I put all my stuff in plastic bags to keep it dry. Ate grape nuts with soy milk and blueberries for breakfast and a banana a few minutes before the swim.
Event warmup:

Pulling my wet suit on to my rain soaked body!
Swim
  • 30m 55s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Like an idiot I was just standing there, goggles not on, expecting some sort of notice the race was starting. They blew the horn and it took me second to register the race had started! I pulled my goggles on and took off but had to stop to fix and rinse them. I couldn't seem to settle into this swim. I felt like I was all over the place. It was barely light enough to spot and then rained during the last 1/3 of the swim. I expected a terrible time so was shocked when they yelled "3rd female out" at me as I exited the water.
What would you do differently?:

Pay attention!
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

There were only 2 wet suit strippers and both were busy so I continued to transition and stripped my own suit. No major problems getting ready but could have been a little faster.
Bike
  • 2h 32m 19s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.06 mile/hr
Comments:

The roads were much too rough for my liking and made me frustrated. I had a tough mental time on the bike. I had to keep reminding myself to focus. I didn't bring enough food because they were supposed to have bananas on course. However, no bananas to be found! I managed to take in ~700 calories with 2 waffles, a gel, and Perform drink. It turned out to be enough but had me worried going into the run.

I think I went out a bit too hard in the beginning.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Didn't wear socks on the bike, but I have to run in socks. I wasted a little time with the socks but it's worth it.
Run
  • 1h 46m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

When they announced the change to the run course making most of it on the trail, I was not happy. Trail running, while pretty, is really boring. I like a lot of crowd support and there was none on the trail. But once I got to the run, I kinda liked it! I look in enough gels but could have used more water. Overall, I had a great run for me! I was in 2nd going into the run and it is rare for me to get ahead on the run.

I used a pouch attached to my race belt for the first time, and it didn't work too well. The pouch bounced around too much. I'll try some different stuff in practice runs. I should have brought a water bottle with me.
Post race
Warm down:

Gulped down 2 bottles of water, stretched, and ate and ate and ate...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I felt very out of it mentally. My brain didn't turn on fully until the run. I also had very little taper because of how my work schedule fits into my training schedule for Ironman Texas. I did my big bike and run efforts on Sunday and Monday, took Tuesday off, then only had Wednesday - Friday for taper.

Event comments:

I signed up when price was $75 and what a bargain! I'll definitely do another HITS race and recommend them to others, despite the small problems. The race was lacking in volunteers and aid stations. The race packet listed multiple items they'd have at each aid station but most offered nothing more than heed and water. This could have been a disaster if I planned to live off the course more. Overall the event staff was very friendly and I liked to extra touches like the bike racks and stools (except they gave me a blue stool instead of pink, haha!). I really CANNOT believe I won the race!!! I know it was a small field, but still, a major accomplishment for me, and I didn't feel I pushed too hard and wasn't too tired after! The race had the best prizes I've ever won: Rudy Project glasses and a fuel belt (I needed for IMTX) and made me feel very special for winning. I got to run through a banner and there was camera man there asking me how I felt. It was cool!! I am more excited than ever for IMTX!!!

Last updated: 2013-03-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:55 | 2112 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/85
Overall: 28/304
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra full suit
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:32:19 | 56 miles | 22.06 mile/hr
Overall: 50/304
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back with several turns.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:46:39 | 13.1 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Overall: 35/304
Performance: Good
Course: Two loops part dirt trail and part road
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-03-25 9:18 AM

User image

Florida
Subject: HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Half Iron Course

2013-03-25 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4673153

User image

Subject: RE: HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Half Iron Course
Congratulations on the win! Nice job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Half Iron Course Rss Feed