Pre-race routine:

Walk from hotel!
Run
  • 1h 49m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

WHAT A WEEKEND!

Drove up to Oakland (always sketchy!) picked up my race packet and Kim's, took a picture of the mayor, and met Suzy! Finally!! Had a yummy carb-load meal with Suzy & Paul (purple risotto- looked funky, tasted GREAT) and called it an early night (see Suzy's post about WHY!)

Early on Sunday, Kim & Kathy made the trek over the bridge, and did their final bib-pinning, backpack loading and sunscreening in my room. Leisurely, because we weren't sure where we were going, walk to the start, where we met Paul - Suzy was LONG gone. The Raiderettes were there, however, so I got a few photos for Jeff.

Kim and I ran the first 7 feet together, and then she was LONG gone!! she looked strong, fast and awesome! I figured as soon as she saw a disney character, I'd catch her. Apparently, Oakland didn't invite Minnie. So much for THAT plan. didn't see Kim again!

Happy with my race for the most part. Haven't trained worth beans, this was my longest run since October's RNR 1/2, but I was fine. More hills than I anticipated, despite what Kim says, they were HILLS. Got a few blisters, which isn't common for me. Tripped on a pothole, which IS common for me.

My best HM is 1:47:57. Had a secret goal to beat it, but knew it wasn't realistic with the training (not) I've done. My Garmin says I finished with a 1:49:12. Oakland has no result for me, which I'm REALLY hoping they fix, because I think I got 10th in my AG. Not in Kim's (5th!) or Suzy's (3rd!) arena, but good enough for me!!

Leisurely stroll back to the hotel (since Suzy's car died) an ice bath and a shower, then a fast drive home. Jeff and I dropped Kid #2 the the airport, and made the long drive back up to SF for dinner with Kim, Kathy, Suzy & Paul. Awesome food, amazing company, wonderful night.

If I could a) walk b) have results c) walk I'd be a happy camper!

What would you do differently?:

Hm. Get results. Go 2 minutes faster. fix the blister problem, once I figure it out.
Post race
Warm down:

wande back to the hotel, drive 150 miles. Not recommended.

Event comments:

too many cars on road, turns with curbs, potholes and cars/spectators not controlled by police.

Last updated: 2013-03-05 12:00 AM
Running
01:49:12 | 13.1 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Well, I ran 13.35, with no official results!!!!
Course: Lots of potholes, curbs, and people cutting cones. kind of an urban trail run.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2013-03-25 1:15 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Subject: Oakland Half Marathon

2013-03-25 2:58 PM
in reply to: #4673617

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Subject: RE: Oakland Half Marathon
Congrats on a great race (with so little training)! Too bad I missed you and Suzy -- I'm an idiot and didn't even think to check who all might be doing this race. Just goes to show how far out of my "race head" I was.

Good points about the traffic control and cars on the road. I only saw one place where the cops were missing and cars were trying to get through, but it was sketchy. And I didn't like the one long section where there were a lot of cars on the lane right next to us. Oh, and the uneven street around Lake Merritt was not making me happy! But I've got to agree with Suzy -- those weren't hills. (Well, except for the last one.) Ha.

2013-03-27 2:53 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Nice job jamming in a half marathon on lite training...  under 2 hrs is nothing to balk at, no matter what!
2013-03-27 5:21 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Pretty darn fast for what you call less than ideal training.  Nice!
2013-03-27 7:12 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Words can't describe how aswesome it was to meet you and Jeff!  I sure hope they find your race results because I can totally attest to the fact that you were there AND that there was a hill at the very end (no matter what Kim has to say!)

Congrats on the results!  Here's to Vegas in November!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oakland Half Marathon Rss Feed