General Discussion Race Reports! » God's Country Off-Road Duathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

God's Country Off-Road Duathlon - Long Course - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lawrence, Kansas
United States
God's Country Fat Tire Festival
34F / 1C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 34m
Overall Rank = 23/38
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

Usual ... bagel with peanut butter, fiber ceral with banana, small OJ and coffee.
Event warmup:

Went for 2 mile bike warm up followed up with 1 mile easy run. Did not get fully stretched out. Rack bike in middle of transition area, spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how many layers, jackets, etc to wear. Finally decided to go with two layers and then jersey top.
Run
  • 19m 30s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

What happen with Runners get Ready..Set and Go. We all standing waiting for the start and then the gun goes off without warning. I was hoping to be able to run close to my 8:00 min run times in sprint tri events but maybe the cold weather, extra layers, etc kept me slower.
What would you do differently?:

nothing.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

The event did not log separate tranisition times, they are included in bike lap times.
Bike
  • 1h 58m
  • 20 miles
  • 10.17 mile/hr
Comments:

Start of bike lap is always crowded and the first 2-3 miles are spent trying to get past or around slower bike riders. After 4 miles..the riders are getting spread out, and you can focus in on your race pace. Key for me was to make through (ie..dont run into trees, indos or get thrown)the technical sections and slippery areas and then try to maintain a fast pace in good sections of the trail. For most of the second lap was riding without anyone near by.

Find warmer socks.. Pedaling in 34 degree weather for 2+ hours did not realize my feet got that cold until I tried to run.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

t2 time is include as part of run 2 time.

nothing
Run
  • 23m
  • 2 miles
  • 11m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

After riding 2+ hours in 34 degree, did not realize my feet had gotten so cold. Just could not feel them during the run, but tried to keep my legs moving and maintain a pace to let me finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Bowl of chili, oranges and water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being the first race of the year...I'm always a little heaver and not as strong as some of my events in summer.

Event comments:

This is my third year to do this event and really enjoy it but this is the first year to do the long course (second year offered). The long course is at my limit for distance/time so Im going to pushed to the limit.

Last updated: 2013-03-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:30 | 02 miles | 09m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 0/38
Performance: Average
Course: Run started on flat surface for 1/2 mile and then turn into woods, following trail that would be used for bike/run. Trail was smooth but did include dips, turns, twists and small hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 03:00
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:58:00 | 20 miles | 10.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/6
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: two laps of a 10 mile bike loop. Trail is fast single track with both fast straight sections and more technical sections involved. Course was slightly damp, so some of the trails were slippery. Short Course and Long course are bunch at beginning but get spread out over the first 3-5 miles.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:00 | 02 miles | 11m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/6
Performance:
Course: Trail run on same trail as bike portion with no flat section at the beginning.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-03-25 2:53 PM

User image

Overland Park
Subject: God's Country Off-Road Duathlon - Long Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » God's Country Off-Road Duathlon - Long Course Rss Feed