General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Half Iron Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ocklawaha, Florida
United States
HITS Triathlon Series
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 150/304
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 18/35
Pre-race routine:

Stopped at mcdonalds for the standard egg mcmuffin premeal.
Event warmup:

looked at the water saw it was wet and at that point I was warmed up.
Swim
  • 40m 1s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out nice just followed the pack I could not see the first buoy for a long time. After the turn swam a little than for some reason took a hard right and headed out to the middle of the lake. Had to correct and get back on course. Hit the second turn and saw everyone walking but decided to swim and save my legs. Got off course to the right by about 20 yards and had to correct. Swam the rest of the way in (you should see my gps from the swim it’s a hoot) got out of the water in a really great time for me and headed to transition.
What would you do differently?:

stay on course better. but it was hard to see the bouys
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Generally had a good t1 except for spraying sunscreen in my eyes and blinding myself and breaking my sunglasses so I had to leave them behind. Piled a bunch of food on board with me just in case there was none on the course..

not spay suncreen in my eyes
Bike
  • 2h 41m
  • 56 miles
  • 20.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Took off on the bike and started to move. Being from Chicago I have only had my race bike out once and never in race trim and wheels so I was a little cautious with the handling. The roads seemed very smooth to me and a couple seemed like riding on glass they were so fast. Passed a ton of people on the bike. Had to stay out of aero a lot because I was a little stiff and also was concerned about the wet pavement. So I probably only was in aero about 50% of the time. Had to get off my bike at the turn around because I could get my bike to turn that much. The goal of my bike was to keep my heart rate under 140 and have to pee at the end of the bike and was successful at both. The last 10 miles I backed down about 5% in order to better be able to run. But felt really good when I got off the bike.

stay in aero a lot more
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

really had to pee. but picked up my broken sunglasses and grab my stuff. I was hopping the towel I through over my running shoes would have kept them dry but that was not the case they where soaked. Finaal got to the bathroom so I could Pee (lost a minute there)

Lighten up the stuff I leave tranistion with Maybe only 1 bottle of water and 1 Gell
Run
  • 2h 26m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

started the first lap in the shade of the path and was doing pretty good and ran the 9:30 I would expect this time of year off the bike. the plan at this point was to negitive split each third of the race but when hit the sunny part of the course I started to over heat so I ended up walking a bit. Ended up walk about 1.5 miles during the slight uphills the rest of the way and cruised into a somewhat disapointint time was really shooting for a 2 hour half but today was not the day. I am beging to think its a mentsal thing. some told me I had 17 minutes to do the last mile in so I made sure to hump it in in order to get under 6 hours

Just keep running. carry less crap on the run and lose wieght
Post race
Warm down:

sat in a chair to cathc my breath then headed out to cool down inthe water (really helped)

Event comments:

a little better food and some direction on one part of the run course whould be nice. Race director was really nice

Last updated: 2013-03-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:01 | 2112 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/304
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: A big triangle with the third leg being the shortest
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:41:00 | 56 miles | 20.87 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: very flat and fast but wet
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:26:00 | 13.1 miles | 11m 09s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Double Loop
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-03-25 4:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Half Iron Course

2013-03-26 9:17 AM
in reply to: #4674073

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Half Iron Course
Great report. Congrats on the strong bike leg. That running course was HOT!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Half Iron Course Rss Feed