Redemption Race Productions
38F / 3C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m 24s
Overall Rank = 19/169
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/18
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4 am for the 90 mile drive up north to Enchanted Rock. I had some oatmeal, a banana and coffee, and loaded up the car. The outside temperature said "59". But the wind was howling all night with really big gusts, and I knew the hill country was a bit colder than San Antonio. So I packed my long sleeve jersey as well as my normal jersey and arm warmers. Little did I know what I was in for...
I had been sick all week long and hadn't trained since Monday. I tried swimming on Friday and that didn't go over well at all, I think I left a piece of my lung in the pool. So I was just hoping not to get any more sick from this race. I couldn't pass it up though, I have been waiting years to race this thing!
As I drove further north, the temperature kept dropping. Every 30 miles it seemed to drop 6-7 more degrees! By the time I rolled into Enchanted Rock, my outside temp gauge read "38". Oh, goodie!
Event warmup:

Got to the race site and went in to park. The volunteer at the gate asked me if I had taken my bike to T1 yet, and I said "No, I wasn't aware I needed to do that." So I was instructed to just park and follow the 1/8 mile long path to the pavilion for packet pick up and to rack my bike.

Good thing I brought my headlamp. Little did I know it was more like 3/4 mile long path, which was actually the race course. Lots of rocks, cactus and other various items typically found on a trail. I finally get to packet pickup (I missed it in San Antonio at Soler's because I never got any info on when/where it was), I was told that I wasn't on the registration list. D'oh! And of course I didn't bring my confirmation email with me. One of those days. But the volunteers were very courteous and got me a bib without too much hassle. I was secretly hoping it wouldn't work out as I was freezing my jewels off and really didn't feel up to racing today. Once I had a bib though, there was no turning back. It was on!
So through all of that I didn't have a lot of time to warm up. I racked my bike and jogged a bit, did some dynamic stretching with some high knees and butt kickers. I just tried to keep moving throughout the pre-race meeting so I wouldn't freeze to death. My original plan was to take off some layers before the race, but it was so cold I kept on the regular jersey and arm warmers, long sleeve jersey as well as a windbreaker. The only thing I took off were my warm up sweatpants. I even put on cycling gloves for the run just to keep my hands warm.
Then it was time to line up. It was a time trial start, so I got near the front so I wouldn't get too stuck in the singletrack at the beginning. Doesn't matter how I feel now, its go-time!
Run
  • 36m 11s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I was just trying to keep my legs moving quickly here. After about a mile the herd thinned out, and after two miles I was alone! I couldn't see the front pack anymore, and could barely hear footsteps behind me. I must have been right between the leaders and the MOP. I wasn't pushing it though because I didn't want to get any sicker. With the weather the way it was and how my week went, I thought if I went all out today I might actually get worse and not recover for Galveston. I'm not sure if there is any truth to this theory, but that was my thought process.
What would you do differently?:

Not a whole lot here. I probably could have run about :30/mile faster, but for the conditions and my health this is a pretty good run.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

The racks were numbered and I was in the very back, the furthest away from the bike out. So I had to run (jog) quite a ways in my cleats. I really need to learn the flying mount one of these days.
Bike
  • 50m 27s
  • 16 miles
  • 19.03 mile/hr
Comments:

The road was rough enough to eject my bottle from by cage that was between the aerobars. I went back to pick it up, and then another mile or two down the road it fell out again. I didn't even notice the second time until it was long gone. My fault for not testing that one out sooner. I usually have the bottle on the seat tube for training rides, and last year used it BTA for races. I remember that sometimes the bottles eject when I also have a computer there because the cage is backwards, and I need to zip tie the cage tighter to hold the bottle better. I *forgot* that important tidbit the night before when I put the cage back on BTA.
But the wind, oh my! It felt like a headwind both in both directions, and that I was on a 45 degree angle the whole time fighting the wind just to keep upright. A few really big gusts really rattled me. Part of me wondered if the rear disc cover/deep front combo was a bad idea, but I think everyone was being pushed around in this wind. I got a little more warmed up on the ride, and was glad I decided to keep everything on. Some people complained that their toes were cold but I didn't notice that.
My power was ~200W for most of the ride, so about 80-85% of my FTP. I really could have pushed it more, looking back. But would I have felt worse the next day or week? Who knows. I was being very conservative. Overall I thought this was very good training for Galveston, as windy as it gets out there.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

I think I actually hacked up a piece of lung here. Not sure what flew out when I was coughing so much, trying to take off my helmet and get my running shoes back on. It was so bad at one point a volunteer asked me if I was ok. Grabbed a sip of water and was good to go!
Run
  • 13m 21s
  • 1.2 miles
  • 11m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

This is the part of the course that brings people out to the event. The run up to the top of the Rock!
It was pretty fun. An athlete asked at the pre-race meeting which route to take to get to the top. The RD answered "I don't care how you get there! Just finish at the white flag"
So there you have it! The rock was about a 200 foot climb over that last 1/4 mile, which is about a ~15% grade. But when going up it, it looks like it is just plain straight up! There was no running involved once you were on the rock. It was just a move your arms and legs until you get to the flag kind of deal. Then you were done! The top of the rock was so WINDY! But it gave a gorgeous view of the entire park. Then you had to find your way down to get back to the start, which mainly meant you had to go back the way you came up. I wasn't a big fan of this really, as it was putting you back on the course with people still racing. But I didn't see any other way to get down.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some food and talked to some other folks. Waiting for the initial results and saw I came in 4th for my AG. Not bad considering the weather and my health! Once transition opened, I got the bike, packed the car and headed back home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

mainly my health. I don't think the cold and wind would have hindered me as much if I wasn't so sick all week.

Event comments:

This race really is a lot of fun. Most of my logistical complaints were a result of the registration error, which isn't really anyone's fault. I'd definitely do it again!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-02-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:36:11 | 05 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/18
Overall: 19/169
Performance: Average
Course: A one loop, 5 mile (4.8 mile according to the RD and my Garmin) trail run. a few rollers here and there, mostly crushed gravel trail. Really pretty area.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 01:23
Overall: Average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:50:27 | 16 miles | 19.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/18
Overall: 21/169
Performance: Below average
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: The course was a 16 mile out and back to Hwy 16. Mostly chip seal with a few rollers. No huge hills on the course, but they were enough to make you work.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:13:21 | 01.2 miles | 11m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/18
Overall: 24/169
Performance: Good
Course: About a mile run to the base of the rock, then the last 1/4 mile straight up to the top of the Rock!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes