the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: Job Hunting
laurentris - 2013-03-27 9:41 AM
mehaner - 2013-03-27 7:34 AM
lisac957 - 2013-03-26 5:58 PM
bradleyd3 - 2013-03-26 4:52 PM
lisac957 - 2013-03-26 4:49 PM

bradleyd3 - 2013-03-26 4:47 PM
mattb1 - 2013-03-26 4:33 PM Every once in a while, I'll also in the middle of the interview just stop and ask the candidate what my name is.  I want to see if they are paying attention to details and can remember those details when they are put on the spot.  This will happen to them with our clients as well.  
That will be used in my next interview. Thanks for that one!

And I'd probably think ya'll were off your rockers and take your company off my list

Random "what's my name" questions? I'm sorry but that's kooky!

But you're in PR......if I asked you that question and you called me Brian....why would I want to hire someone that's going to be the face of my company?

I'm not sure what being in PR has to do with it... it sounds like the intent (with all of these questions) is to try and catch someone off guard, regardless of the job, and if so they're off the list. Sneaky.

Like I said before I've never been in an interview like this, it's fascinating stuff to me.

For other job seekers - do you run into these obscure questions a lot, or is it few and far between? 

i get obscure questions a lot - for precisely the reasons brad mentioned - you need to think on your feet a lot in real life so they want to see how you do it.  also - a lot of my work involves solving problems so they ask a weird question to have me walk them through a problem solving process.  the engineering manager can figure out if i'm smart enough to do the job - it's the weird questions that show if i will "fit in" with the culture of the company.  job specifics can be taught, culture is a different animal.

one example that stands out - you are in a boat in a lake holding a bowling ball.  if you throw the bowling ball out of the boat, does the level of the water in the lake go up, down, or remain the same. 

it's OK to get the answer WRONG - but you talk through how you arrive at the answer is what is important.

also - i feel like knowing names is just good manners.  i write them down in interviews.  you are "supposed to" follow up with a thank you note or call, how do you do that if you don't know their names?

What kind of engineering do you do?

My degree is in chemical, but I have never done chemical engineering.  Manufacturing, quailty, product development, and now industrial.

2013-03-27 8:43 AM
in reply to: #4675444

User image

Veteran
Oh and I would totally pick Iron Man since he is my favorite. He's super smart and has a badass computer and robot assistant. And he fights terror. 
2013-03-27 9:13 AM
in reply to: #4676264

User image

Champion
Somewhere I can be nekidd

laurentris - 2013-03-27 9:43 AM Oh and I would totally pick Iron Man since he is my favorite. He's super smart and has a badass computer and robot assistant. And he fights terror. 

Let's not forget femme fatale Black Widow, A.K.A Natasha or Natalia Romanova

She is trained in several types of martial arts, marksmanship, and sophisticated weaponry, including her signature “Widow’s Bite” bracelets.  She was an orphan recruited into the Russian Black Widow Ops program, where she was biotechnologically enhanced to withstand disease, injury, and aging, and also given a healthy dose of false memories. But basically, she was raised to be a lean, mean fiercely loyal killing machine.

2013-03-27 9:19 AM
in reply to: #4676308

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
ironannekidd - 2013-03-27 10:13 AM

laurentris - 2013-03-27 9:43 AM Oh and I would totally pick Iron Man since he is my favorite. He's super smart and has a badass computer and robot assistant. And he fights terror. 

Let's not forget femme fatale Black Widow, A.K.A Natasha or Natalia Romanova

She is trained in several types of martial arts, marksmanship, and sophisticated weaponry, including her signature “Widow’s Bite” bracelets.  She was an orphan recruited into the Russian Black Widow Ops program, where she was biotechnologically enhanced to withstand disease, injury, and aging, and also given a healthy dose of false memories. But basically, she was raised to be a lean, mean fiercely loyal killing machine.

Tank Girl!  Let's not forget Tank Girl!

2013-03-27 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4676091

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
mehaner - 2013-03-27 6:34 AM 

also - i feel like knowing names is just good manners.  i write them down in interviews.  you are "supposed to" follow up with a thank you note or call, how do you do that if you don't know their names?

Totally agree. But I think interrupting the interview while someone is probably deep into their focus and momentum to try and "catch" them is unnecessary. Unless that's exactly what they need to do for their job (which it sounds like it is for a lot of you).

If they get your name wrong on the sign-off (Thanks for your time, John - I mean Brad) or blatantly address the email with the wrong name? Sure, that's bad.

2013-03-27 9:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
On that Friends question . . . . do you just interview 30 something WASP's?

2013-03-27 9:54 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

Here are other questions that I ask.......just so y'all don't think I walk in and rapid fire randoms at someone. I do mix in the randoms with these.

Why was your resume posted?
Are you actively looking for other employment, any other interviews?
Where do you want to be in 5 years
Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with your boss
Tell me about a time where you were criticized, and rightly so.
What do you do when you’re slow at work?
What irritates you about coworkers
What do you consider a conducive work environment?
How long will it take before you make a contribution here?
If you could eliminate one responsibility from your last job, what would it be?

I also ask if you came home and your house was on fire, what 3 things would you save?

2013-03-27 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4676390

User image

Champion

bradleyd3 - 2013-03-27 10:54 AM Here are other questions that I ask.......just so y'all don't think I walk in and rapid fire randoms at someone. I do mix in the randoms with these. Why was your resume posted? Are you actively looking for other employment, any other interviews? Where do you want to be in 5 years Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with your boss Tell me about a time where you were criticized, and rightly so. What do you do when you’re slow at work? What irritates you about coworkers What do you consider a conducive work environment? How long will it take before you make a contribution here? If you could eliminate one responsibility from your last job, what would it be? I also ask if you came home and your house was on fire, what 3 things would you save?

How is the relevant to a job? It would depend on a lot of things... are my kids home? are my dogs in the house? Is anyone else in my house? Is my camera bag, or laptop in the house or already in my car? Is the fire company there? Which part of the house is on fire? Is there anything I ABSOLUTELY NEED inside the house that I'd risk my life for it? I don't see how that applies to any job I would ever appy for.

2013-03-27 10:03 AM
in reply to: #4676405

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
ironannekidd - 2013-03-27 10:00 AM

bradleyd3 - 2013-03-27 10:54 AM Here are other questions that I ask.......just so y'all don't think I walk in and rapid fire randoms at someone. I do mix in the randoms with these. Why was your resume posted? Are you actively looking for other employment, any other interviews? Where do you want to be in 5 years Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with your boss Tell me about a time where you were criticized, and rightly so. What do you do when you’re slow at work? What irritates you about coworkers What do you consider a conducive work environment? How long will it take before you make a contribution here? If you could eliminate one responsibility from your last job, what would it be? I also ask if you came home and your house was on fire, what 3 things would you save?

How is the relevant to a job? It would depend on a lot of things... are my kids home? are my dogs in the house? Is anyone else in my house? Is my camera bag, or laptop in the house or already in my car? Is the fire company there? Which part of the house is on fire? Is there anything I ABSOLUTELY NEED inside the house that I'd risk my life for it? I don't see how that applies to any job I would ever appy for.

Kids/pets/living things are accounted for.

It doesn't have to be relative to a job. It shows me your thought process. And if I asked you that question and you asked me those questions....that would give me a better understanding of how you operate. You need clarification. You have a thought process of detail. You want to know about the whole situation before jumping into it. See.....by asking that question, you've given me better insite to you.

2013-03-27 10:06 AM
in reply to: #4676413

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
bradleyd3 - 2013-03-27 11:03 AM

Kids/pets/living things are accounted for. It doesn't have to be relative to a job. It shows me your thought process. And if I asked you that question and you asked me those questions....that would give me a better understanding of how you operate. You need clarification. You have a thought process of detail. You want to know about the whole situation before jumping into it. See.....by asking that question, you've given me better insite to you.

INSIGHT.

g-d HR people.

2013-03-27 10:06 AM

User image

Champion
I have the best job I have ever had right now, and I didn't even interview my manager face to face. He called me a couple of times, and told me he'd have one of his guys call for some technical questions which he told me they'd be difficult and I wouldn't be able to answer them, but they just wanted to see how I dealt with pressure. I answered all but 2. When he called to ask the technical questions I was sitting at home in my recliner with my feet propped up, wearing comfy shorts and a t-shirt, scratching my dog behind the ears. It doesn't get much more laid back than that. My problem with interviews is I can't spit out the words, but I know I can do the work, I've told interviewers that and offered to show them. No one has ever taken me up on it though. I've been passed over for jobs where the guy they hired, I've known, and he could talk the talk but he couldn't do a damn thing once there.

2013-03-27 10:07 AM
in reply to: #4676420

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
mehaner - 2013-03-27 10:06 AM

bradleyd3 - 2013-03-27 11:03 AM

Kids/pets/living things are accounted for. It doesn't have to be relative to a job. It shows me your thought process. And if I asked you that question and you asked me those questions....that would give me a better understanding of how you operate. You need clarification. You have a thought process of detail. You want to know about the whole situation before jumping into it. See.....by asking that question, you've given me better insite to you.

INSIGHT.

g-d HR people.

Da*n engineers....always have to have everything perfect.

2013-03-27 10:09 AM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

I went to a week long seminar where the focus was to help people transition from military to civilian work environments.  It was a great class and I am trying to use the knowledge gained from it.  However, durring the, interviewing techniques portion they had a panel type discussion and some of the stories they told were crazy.  Looking inside the person's car, setting up scripted situations to evaluate response, and the worst in my mind was having a female interviewer dressed in less than appropriate office clothes.  Is this common? Stories please.

Also, how often durring an interview/discussion does either the interviewer or interviewee cross the "line" and talk about taboo subjects (ie married,kids, off work interests etc.)?  How do you deal with it?

2013-03-27 10:11 AM
in reply to: #4676421

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
ironannekidd - 2013-03-27 10:06 AM

I have the best job I have ever had right now, and I didn't even interview my manager face to face. He called me a couple of times, and told me he'd have one of his guys call for some technical questions which he told me they'd be difficult and I wouldn't be able to answer them, but they just wanted to see how I dealt with pressure. I answered all but 2. When he called to ask the technical questions I was sitting at home in my recliner with my feet propped up, wearing comfy shorts and a t-shirt, scratching my dog behind the ears. It doesn't get much more laid back than that. My problem with interviews is I can't spit out the words, but I know I can do the work, I've told interviewers that and offered to show them. No one has ever taken me up on it though. I've been passed over for jobs where the guy they hired, I've known, and he could talk the talk but he couldn't do a damn thing once there.

And that's why I have a hiring manager that does the technical portion to make sure that the Knowledge, skills, and abilities are there and in place......someone like you would have a better shot at my company vs. the "I can smooth talk thru an interview".....you have to prove yourself both technically and personality.

2013-03-27 10:11 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
You all are making me want to skip my 3:00 interview.
2013-03-27 10:16 AM
in reply to: #4676438

User image

Champion

pitt83 - 2013-03-27 11:11 AM You all are making me want to skip my 3:00 interview.

I don't think my dog would mind if you took him along and scratched him behind the ears. As long as you don't make him a slave of course.

2013-03-27 10:17 AM
in reply to: #4676431

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
tcarlson78 - 2013-03-27 10:09 AM

I went to a week long seminar where the focus was to help people transition from military to civilian work environments.  It was a great class and I am trying to use the knowledge gained from it.  However, durring the, interviewing techniques portion they had a panel type discussion and some of the stories they told were crazy.  Looking inside the person's car, setting up scripted situations to evaluate response, and the worst in my mind was having a female interviewer dressed in less than appropriate office clothes.  Is this common? Stories please.

Also, how often durring an interview/discussion does either the interviewer or interviewee cross the "line" and talk about taboo subjects (ie married,kids, off work interests etc.)?  How do you deal with it?

What you described is not the norm, in my 10 years of HR. But I'm sure it happens.

With 'taboo' subjects, there are ways to work around that. If they ask you a personal question (supposing its actually legal to ask) I would accept someone saying I keep my personal life at home, then bring the conversation back to work and your experience.

I can find out all the things I'm not allowed to ask by chit-chatting after the interview. I don't find relevancy in these, as how many kids, married/divorced, religous affiliation, orientation, etc...have no bearing on if they make the cut.

The question of "big plans for the weekend?" will answer most of those.....or me bringing up what I'm doing will prompt them to tell me the personal details.

2013-03-27 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4676448

User image

Champion
ironannekidd - 2013-03-27 11:16 AM

pitt83 - 2013-03-27 11:11 AM You all are making me want to skip my 3:00 interview.

I don't think my dog would mind if you took him along and scratched him behind the ears. As long as you don't make him a slave of course.

He'd probably do what my dog would and ditch the interview, scurry across the hotel lobby and head for the steak house.
2013-03-27 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4676390

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

bradleyd3 - 2013-03-27 10:54 AM Here are other questions that I ask.......just so y'all don't think I walk in and rapid fire randoms at someone. I do mix in the randoms with these.

The quick thinking, non-business, and provocative questions are absolutely necessary to find out if your prospective employee is going to go off the rails.  

I get asked, by clients, lots of stuff every day I don't know the answer to...much like the interview questions. Even if you don't know a superhero, Friends, or whatever, you can still show well with "would you mind if I took a minute to think about superheros?  It's been a while since I saw them in action" or "I'm really not familiar with the cast of Friends...any chance I could cover that for Hogan's Heros or Elimidate?". It's not the question -it's the answer. 

Speaking of interview questions, I'll take a crack at 'em...

- Because unemployment checks only last 18 months, and I'm about up. Duh. 

- .mmmmmffff. Urp. Got anything to wash this donut down?

- Celebrating my 5th anniversary of not answering questions like that.  

- There wasn't just 'a time'. 

- At home, work, or on my shoe fetish message board? 

- Did you just call me slow? 

- Microwaving fish. And that they have to be MY coworkers.  

- Anyplace with a fridge, recliner, and Terry Tate. NSFW. 

- A little longer than usual - I hit the head on the way in.  

- Attendance?  Is that too much? I can pick something else...there's lots I didn't like. 

I also ask if you came home and your house was on fire, what 3 things would you save?
     - The whales, 2nd amendment rights, and my shiny bike. 

2013-03-27 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4676449

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
bradleyd3 - 2013-03-27 11:17 AM
tcarlson78 - 2013-03-27 10:09 AM

What you described is not the norm, in my 10 years of HR. But I'm sure it happens. With 'taboo' subjects, there are ways to work around that. If they ask you a personal question (supposing its actually legal to ask) I would accept someone saying I keep my personal life at home, then bring the conversation back to work and your experience. I can find out all the things I'm not allowed to ask by chit-chatting after the interview. I don't find relevancy in these, as how many kids, married/divorced, religous affiliation, orientation, etc...have no bearing on if they make the cut. The question of "big plans for the weekend?" will answer most of those.....or me bringing up what I'm doing will prompt them to tell me the personal details.

From an HR/Legal point of view, is it true that anything listed on a resume is fair game to ask about even if it's of a personal nature? I know some people list hobbies/interest/personal accomplishments and/or volunteer work they've done that may be job relevant. 

2013-03-27 10:51 AM
in reply to: #4676497

User image

Champion
rkreuser - 2013-03-27 11:42 AM

bradleyd3 - 2013-03-27 10:54 AM Here are other questions that I ask.......just so y'all don't think I walk in and rapid fire randoms at someone. I do mix in the randoms with these.

The quick thinking, non-business, and provocative questions are absolutely necessary to find out if your prospective employee is going to go off the rails.  

I get asked, by clients, lots of stuff every day I don't know the answer to...much like the interview questions. Even if you don't know a superhero, Friends, or whatever, you can still show well with "would you mind if I took a minute to think about superheros?  It's been a while since I saw them in action" or "I'm really not familiar with the cast of Friends...any chance I could cover that for Hogan's Heros or Elimidate?". It's not the question -it's the answer. 

- Anyplace with a fridge, recliner, and Terry Tate. 

- Attendance?  Is that too much? I can pick something else...there's lots I didn't like. 

Well played, sir! I have what I need!

2013-03-27 11:00 AM
in reply to: #4676497

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
rkreuser - 2013-03-27 10:42 AM

- Anyplace with a fridge, recliner, and Terry Tate. NSFW. 

HIRED.....you start tomorrow.

2013-03-27 12:16 PM

User image

Pro
I sit on our hiring boards.  One of us is usually tasked with trying to make the prospective Police Officer mad, to see what kind of temperament they may have. Guess who that usually is?  Laughing 
2013-03-27 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4676667

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Left Brain - 2013-03-27 1:16 PM I sit on our hiring boards.  One of us is usually tasked with trying to make the prospective Police Officer mad, to see what kind of temperament they may have. Guess who that usually is?  Laughing 

Oh, so you practice here....

2013-03-27 12:25 PM
in reply to: #4676679

User image

Pro
mrbbrad - 2013-03-27 12:23 PM

Left Brain - 2013-03-27 1:16 PM I sit on our hiring boards.  One of us is usually tasked with trying to make the prospective Police Officer mad, to see what kind of temperament they may have. Guess who that usually is?  Laughing 

Oh, so you practice here....

You gotta admit, with all the egos and type A personalities, it's a pretty target rich environment.  

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Job Hunting Rss Feed  

of 4