General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to MPLS... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-26 6:56 PM

Subject: Moving to MPLS...
I may be moving from NC to MPLS for work, and I'm wondering how the tri scene is. I hear the area has a lot of cyclists. Where might be good to live to swim / bike / run? I'll be working in Roseville. I'd like to live between downtown MPLS and Roseville. Just me, no family, so no considerations there. I'm prepared for winter to suck. 

2013-03-26 7:17 PM
in reply to: #4675796

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Moving to MPLS...

Welcome!  And really, winter is great, it just gets a little long...

No input on living situation over there as I am out west in Minnetonka...where the riding is fine!

2013-03-26 7:57 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Welcome. You might want to look into NorthEast Minneapolis. It is really up and coming , and there are some great areas of northeast to live. Oh and it is in between Roseville and downtown. Also this recommendation is not to be confused with North Minneapolis. Tri scene is very active most(actually) all but one are in the suburbs or out lying areas, but close enough to drive to the morning of a race.
2013-03-27 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4675852

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

It's true, Northeast Minneapolis would be the place for you based on what you said.  The ONLY downside to living there is very little access to bike and running paths.   You will find some on street bike lanes, of course, but the area is very much urban riding.  You would probably be inclined to pack the bike and drive somewhere for good longer rides.   The Mississippi has a great path once you get downtown and will hook you up to many places, I would aim for being as close to the river as you can.  But, as Pete said, don't get confused and end up in NORTH Minneapolis.   If you are East of the river you are mostly okay, but the further north (away from downtown) you go, it's a problem.  If you start looking and want to run some addresses by us, please do.  I am super interested in real estate and feel free to PM me as well.

I wanted to suggest another alternative - the area between Minneapolis and St. Paul, south of 94.   This is St. Paul proper.  There are some safer options to bike the streets over there (to head out to good riding) and more also depends also on whether you're thinking apartment, townhouse, house, and how urban/suburban.  

There's a triclub in Arden Hills, north of Roseville, affiliated with Now Bikes:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/NOW-BIKES-TRIATHLON-CLUB/105312577382

All in all, if I were you, I'd shoot for getting close to downtown Minneapolis.  Just depends on the neighborhood   Then you're in a good place for commute to work but also can head south to the lakes for after work and weekend running and swimming. 

2013-03-27 10:34 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

One of the best tri/multisport scenes in the country is in the Twin Cities area, so you picked a good spot.

Personally, I avoid the city proper like the plague, as I think the riding is better outside of town. Roseville is a first ring burb, but if you're working there, and are looking for somewhere to lve that ISN'T roseville...I actually lived in Shoreview for quite awhile, and loved it. Super easy access to everywhere, pretty central, and you can walk out your door and ride 100 miles with nice, wide shoulders and very few stoplights. Good running as well, and suer easy commute to roseville (which is neighboring). Shoreview also has a GREAT community center/pool as well as a YMCA that is also very nice. Lots of races close by, as well--white bear lake, new birghton, etc

2013-03-27 2:55 PM

New user

Minneapolis

2x on Shoreview, but Roseville itself has nice neighborhoods north of the Mall. I live in NE Minneapolis, and often run down to the Mississippi and run along the River Roads (East or West, depending on my mood.)

Do you have a reason for wanting to be near the downtown Minneapolis area? What kind of housing are you looking for?  I can help out with suggesting some areas to look at, if you're interested.

2013-03-27 6:51 PM

User image

Saint Paul, MN

I live in Como Park and think it is a great spot.

Running through the park and around the lake, pretty easy access to the gateway trail and other bike routes, not too far from the Shoreview YMCA pool. Plus I work in Roseville and only have a 10 minute commute to work.  Close to downtown. I can get DT in less than 15 minutes.

2013-03-28 11:24 AM
in reply to: #4677155

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
jlruhnke - 2013-03-27 6:51 PM

I live in Como Park and think it is a great spot.

Running through the park and around the lake, pretty easy access to the gateway trail and other bike routes, not too far from the Shoreview YMCA pool. Plus I work in Roseville and only have a 10 minute commute to work.  Close to downtown. I can get DT in less than 15 minutes.

This is a very nice area.  Also, you can go to the LA Fitness in St. Paul (on University Ave) and have swim in a lane by yourself 90% of the.   Despite not being a great area (the gym, not Como Park), it's the BEST La Fitness ever.

I love running around Como, not just the lake but the paths and everything by the zoo, etc.  The neighborhoods are really cute.  I could live there.

Another idea is west of Como, nearer the University of Minnesota St. Paul campus.  St. Anthony Park (actually the hood surrounding Como Ave).  

2013-03-28 6:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden Valley, MN

You can't go wrong anywhere in the metro area.  Even right in the downtown area there are fine places to run and bike (the Lakes area and the Riverfront).  For longer bike rides it's best to get out of the metro, but you can go in any direction and find plenty of low-traffic roads with few stop signs or stop lights and decent shoulders to ride on.  I'm partial to going west (Minnetonka, Plymouth, Medina, Independence, Corcoran, Rockford, Watertown, Buffalo, etc.), but I live just west of downtown (Golden Valley) so that's the convenient area for me.  If you lived in Roseville you might be more apt to head north/northwest onto some of the roads in the Washington County area such as White Bear Lake, Stillwater, Osceola, and the Chisago Lakes area.  The key is that it's all good here.  We have a real tri-gem area here, we love it, and invite you to join it.

Take a flat repair kit with you when you ride, but ya know what?...if that doesn't work, a passing motorist is still likely to stop and offer help (it's happened to me twice so far).

2013-03-29 8:37 AM

User image

Minneapolis
+1 for NE Minneapolis.  I disagree that there isn't access to trails.  There are trails along the Mississippi that connect to you a lot of other main trails.  The down-side is they are busy in the summer.  You won't get the shoulder-of-the-highway type rides in the city without taking city trails for several miles.
2013-04-03 7:16 AM
in reply to: #4679004

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-04-03 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4684618

Pro
Twin Cities
YAY! East side represent!! To where are you moving, Foggy??
2013-04-04 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4684797

2013-04-04 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4686371

Pro
Twin Cities

I think I remember talking about this... :-)

Well, DH is a product of WBL, and he turned out okay. Of course the Ponies are a fierce foe :p

Are you looking in the Grant/Dellwood/Willernie/etc. area?

2013-04-05 7:00 AM
in reply to: #4686445

2013-04-05 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4687690

Pro
Twin Cities

Eh, IMO, Dellwood, like North Oaks is vastly overpriced. You're paying for a zip code. It's nice...but you can find similar elsewhere that doesn't need to have the 70s avacado green shag carpet removed :p

I love Grant. We've looked seriously at houses out there the last two times we moved. Our next move, I think, we're planning on buying land and building.

Keep me posted! We'll have to ride, once you move over to the right side of town ;-)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to MPLS... Rss Feed