General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mixing Drinks On IM Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-26 8:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
Subject: Mixing Drinks On IM Bike

Anyone have experience mixing drinks on IM bike?  I really enjoy a good amaretto stone sour...

OK...seriously.  I'd like to live off the course...I've been training with Ironman Perform with absolutely no issues.  I even 1/2 way like the stuff.  However, I really like Accelerade.  I was thinking of pulling out of T1 with a bottle of Accelerade on my bike.  That will get me through an hour.  I could survive the rest of the first loop on Ironman Perform.  I would plan on having a 2nd bottle of Accelerade in my special needs bag and execute the same plan for the 2nd loop.  If I lost one...no biggie...I can live on Perform. Was thinking of having Accelerade on my Fuel Belt for the run as well. 

So, my question:  Is this a bad idea?  Obviously I will start practicing this, but just wondered if anyone else had tried something similar.  I really want to simplify things...but like I said, I really like the Accelerade.  If I'm going to leave T1 with a bottle on my bike...why not make it something I really like?

Thoughts?   Thanks!

2013-03-27 12:58 AM
in reply to: #4675902

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Mixing Drinks On IM Bike
Go for it. Seems pretty simple. I usually leave a HIM T1 with a disposable Gatorade sports bottle and have not had issues mixing with what's offered on course.
2013-03-27 9:01 PM
in reply to: #4676020

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
I tried this last year and failed at IMLP. I kept telling myself I would stop and make my Heed mix but never did. I ended up grabbing Perform from the course, not drinking nearly enough of it, and imploding on the run. It sounds so easy. You're reading this and probably saying this would never happen to me, that I would be diligent enough. Be careful. I still can't believe this magnificent error. You get caught up and don't want to stop. I had other issues that contributed to my lack of focus that day so it's not completely fair. I also finished only an hour and a half behind my goal and still very much enjoyed the day. But be careful.

Edited by Major BC 2013-03-27 9:06 PM
2013-03-28 7:13 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

Put the powder accelerade in a ziplock bag and stuff the bag in the pocket of your tri suit.  You can pour it in a bottle of water from an aid station on the fly or stop for  second.  

This way will be faster and you won't have to worry about a lost special needs bag.

2013-03-28 11:23 AM
in reply to: #4677467

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
brown_dog_us - 2013-03-28 7:13 AM

Put the powder accelerade in a ziplock bag and stuff the bag in the pocket of your tri suit.  You can pour it in a bottle of water from an aid station on the fly or stop for  second.  

This way will be faster and you won't have to worry about a lost special needs bag.

This.  Carried 3 ziplocs on the bike of accelerade and used solid food and perform on the run.  If you need to use a portajohn a volunteer will even mix the drink for you while you go.  Simple.

2013-03-28 4:00 PM

User image

Should be pretty simple to test this on a long training ride.

2013-03-28 4:17 PM
in reply to: #4677467

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
brown_dog_us - 2013-03-28 7:13 AM

I read the OP to mean switching drinks - like between Perform and Accelerade. Not actually mixing powder and water. I could be wrong though.

2013-03-28 10:12 PM

User image

Champion
For IMLP a few years ago I had a plan to mix powder with water on the course. I had the ziploc bags ready to go....tried it once and it was just kind of frustrating for me because I really don't like to stop unless I absolutely have to. I ended up just surviving off the course and diluting half a bottle of water with half a bottle of perform at ever aide station. I had it set up where one station I would take a water and fill half my aero bottle and the next station take perform. I like a more dilute taste. But this experience is just my approach. Mixing the fluids together on the go was easy with my aerobottle...the powder didn't really work out for me. 
2013-04-01 2:42 PM

I would be careful with switching back and forth, especially if you haven't trained with them.  Everybody's stomach is different, but for me, I took two premixed bottles out of T1 and then picked-up two more at Special Needs.  That worked for me.  I just grabbed water on the go to supplement my bottles.  Perhaps that might work for you. 

In terms of taking power along and mixing a bottle along the way...could be a bit tricky, but plenty of folks do it.  Practice makes perfect.

2013-04-04 5:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois

Thanks for replies.  

My questions was not about actually mixing the powder to make my drink...but rather, as someone pointed out, mixing a bottle of Accelerade in with Perform.  I've been trying it during the past week with no issues...I will continue to train as such and see how things go.  

2013-04-05 10:25 AM

Veteran
Tennessee
I will have a Tom Collins if you are passing them out.

2013-04-05 4:53 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I am accelerade fan too.  I have an aerobottle that holds 40 oz then I have two bottles of hyperconcentrated accelerade on my bike which I water down with water from an aide station that way I can carry 6 servings.  I know people whine about "OMG so much WIEGHT on your bike" Yeah whatever I am not going to win or place but I will DNF if I screw up my nutrition by getting dehydrated because I don't like the taste of something.  On the run I carry a hand held and usually start with a different flavor accelerade then just refill it on the course with whatever seems to look good. 
2013-04-08 8:13 PM

Rum and coke work better than a martini--trying to shake it while biking is tough
2013-04-08 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
Kind of jumped around the thread, but noticed a blurb about storing a 2nd bottle in your SN bag. For what it is worth, freeze the bottle the night before, and wrap the bottle in a bubble wrap envelope. I just wrapped the envelope around the bottle and taped it to secure the wrap around the bottle. I did this for IMFL this past year, and the bottle was perfect, still a bit frozen, but given how warm it was, it defrosted quickly. I will definitely be doing this again!
2013-05-03 1:04 AM

User image

Richland, Washington
Ok I need to chime in here, I think I get what you're going after, but it's late.... So I may be way off.I only drink cytomax... It just does the most for me... So, on the bike, I carry 2 bottles of super concentrated cytomax... When my aerobottle is drained or close to it, I grab a bottle at a station, and do a few squirts of cytomax, top with water. All this is done in motion, I lose no time doing it. Practice it before trying in a race as it gets kinda sketchy with the 2 bottle shuffle during drink changes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mixing Drinks On IM Bike Rss Feed