General Discussion Triathlon Talk » heel-2-toe-drop measurement.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-28 2:36 PM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: heel-2-toe-drop measurement....

How is is measured??? any method to do this at home???

My issue is I have a pair or Pearl Izumi EM Road N2s.... on runningwarehouse (which I love) they have the drop at +11 and the measurements @(Heel 27mm, Forefoot 16mm). But on the Pearl Izumi site... they state its only a "low 4mm drop"....

It feels like their is a huge drop (which I like). Any BT'ers ever notice or have this these issue?? I love the shoe and it feels great, but am looking for solid consistant measurements.

2013-03-29 6:57 AM
in reply to: #4678263

User image

Regular
Arlington, VA
Subject: RE: heel-2-toe-drop measurement....

Note: I am not an expert, but I have been looking around. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Unless you have some very specifically shaped calipers, I think this is fairly hard to measure once the shoe  has been put together. The drop measures the difference in the center of the heel to area under the ball of the feet. Insole, midsole, and sole all together. I don't know the shoe you're talking about, but just looking at pictures on running warehouse, I find it very hard to believe their measurements. It looks like a relatively low drop shoe and 11mm would be pretty large. 

For subjective reference: Look at the Brooks shoes, Pure Project vs "Standard". The Pure line is 4mm and the others are around 12mm. To me, this Pearl shoe 'looks' more like the pure line.

Its also hard not to trust anyone over the manufacturer on shoe measurements.

2013-03-29 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4678897

User image

Kansas City, Missouri

Thanks for the input, what you stated makes perfect sense.

To throw more variables into the mix... I have last years model of the Brooks Pureflow @ 4mm drop (most comfortable shoe ever). But my Pearl Izumi EM N2 feel totally differant, almost like wearing heels. Comparing apples and oranges I know but I am just looking for a solid fool proof measurement or method in finding drop.

I have to give credit to runningwarehouse for their shoefitr thingy, I have found it SPOT on everytime.

2013-03-29 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4678263

User image

Extreme Veteran

There may be a difference in how Running Warehouse measures vs. the manufacturer.  I think I remember seeing a discrepancy, not in heel to toe drop but in heel/forefoot stack heights, with the Kinvaras too. 

Anyways, here is how Running Warehouse measures: 

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/LearningCenter/footwear.html?video=FOOT01

And shoefitr isn't something Running Warehouse does, there is a company in Pittsburgh that scans the shoes.  They actually do more than just running shoes, and I'm starting to see shoefitr showing up on other sites as well.

Edited by Crazy Pirate 2013-03-29 6:08 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » heel-2-toe-drop measurement.... Rss Feed