Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Need a new phone - what do you suggest? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-30 12:24 AM

User image

Subject: Need a new phone - what do you suggest?
My Blackberry Curve is out. Had it since Sept 2009 with a two year contract with Sprint. As of today, I'm still with Sprint, but downgraded to a non-smartphone Samsung Blade just to get me by. I'm not on a contract, so, I can jump ship to another carrier if I want, or, stay with Sprint, upgrade to another smart phone and start another two year contract. 

I've had a good experience with Sprint since being with them as of Sept 2006. I had the 450 minute plan with unlimited data when I went with the Blackberry Sept 2009. Now, I'm considering going to Virgin Mobile. Their basic plan is $35 a month (or $30 with auto pay) for 300 anytime minutes and unlimited data and messaging. The data is 2.5 GB a month (256 Kbps if you go over). Paying an extra $15 will turn any hotspot enabled phone into a modem, allowing 3.5 GB of data each month. 

I'm considering making the switch to Virgin because they're on the Sprint network and there's no contract. If I go with the hotspot feature, I could essentially end my internet at home with Comcast and just use my phone (though my home internet usage has averaged about 30 GB a month; 250 GB is the maximum). I'm looking to have one payment rather than $85 for the Blackberry and $60 for internet. 

Has anyone consolidated their internet to just a phone? I'm single and don't have a need for a "family plan." Even when I was on 450 minutes with Sprint on my Blackberry, I barely used 300 minutes each month (though, after 7 pm and weekends are free). I know with Virgin that won't be the case. 

I'm currently considering an iPhone 4 or 4S, Android HTC Evo V 4G or the new Blackberry Z10 when it becomes available. 

What do you think? I don't need a new phone like next week. I have the Samsung Blade to get me by for as long as necessary (though the battery life blows - have to keep it plugged in most of the time). Thanks.

2013-03-30 9:31 PM
in reply to: #4679841

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Need a new phone - what do you suggest?

I just got the HTC one X, it is a year old so I got it for free on a 2 year contract.  Fine for me.  I imagine the Galaxy s3's will be cleared out soon as well.  If you gotta go new I would go with the S4 or the HTC one.  But I just love those phones.  I don't get the iphone or blackberry thing.

2013-03-30 10:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
I have the Samsung Galaxy S3 and I love it. Its great for work, emails, the like. I would highly recommend it. I might be a little biased though as this is my first smartphone.
2013-03-31 3:34 PM

Master
Houston, TX
I would consider the google nexus. Then go iPhone 5. Then S4. I haven't ever used the HTC or I would have said something about it. I'm suggesting the above based on overall user friendliness and price. Of course a flip phone is the cheapest and easiest all the way around(JK).
2013-03-31 4:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
I highly recommend the Samsung Google Nexus. It is made by the manufacturer directly and not by the carrier company. All updates get pushed immediately to the phone, which doesn't happen to others. It also doesn't have all the non-sense apps that you never use like verizon navigator, amazon, and so on that are pre-loaded onto the phone. The processor is uber quick, which makes it great for emails and web surfing. Slightly curved screen allows for easy viewing outdoors when there is a glare from the sun (cuts down on glare). Downsides - If you use your phone as main camera, then this is not up to par with the Galaxy S3, I believe on 5MP as opposed to 8MP. But really that is it. Battery life superb. 
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Need a new phone - what do you suggest? Rss Feed