Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Game of Thrones Third Season (spoilers) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2013-04-22 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4710348

User image

Champion
SoCal
Subject: RE: Game of Thrones Third Season (spoilers)
eabeam - 2013-04-22 12:55 PM

Having not read the books, they still made a reference to the comedic relief from Pod's encounter.

Is this just comic relief, or are they going along the lines of True Blood where he has some enchantment or Fairy lineage in him?

Just (very well done) comic relief.

2013-04-23 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4681134

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
For you folks who haven't read the books, what are your thoughts of Margery right now on the show?  
2013-04-23 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4711233

New user

GomesBolt - 2013-04-23 8:25 AM For you folks who haven't read the books, what are your thoughts of Margery right now on the show?  

She looks like a cat, but she's pushing every bit of her A cups out the front of her dresses. It's a mixed bag.

As far as the character's concerned, it seems pretty obvious to me she's going to f*** over Sansa at some point. I wouldn't be surprised if this entire book series/show ends up being one long kick in the junk to the Stark family. The show seems to reward (relatively) honorable people with immeasurable pain.

2013-04-23 11:48 AM
in reply to: #4711233

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
GomesBolt - 2013-04-23 8:25 AM

For you folks who haven't read the books, what are your thoughts of Margery right now on the show?  

I think that after Tyrion, she might be the smartest person in King's Landing. She's like Cersei 2.0,and Cersei knows it.

I agree that she's probably going to screw Sansa over somehow, since that's what people do on this show, though I'm not sure what she has to gain at this point. Maybe she's just hedging against the chance that Robb Stark wins the war and trying to build an alliance on the other side?

Game of Thrones has pushed Mad Men to Mondays on the DVR. I never thought I would say that.

2013-04-23 2:34 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Her main difference from Cersei is that Cersei plays the game in spite of her gender, Margaery embraces and exploits all of the female stereotypes... Kissing orphans, stroking the male ego, low cut dresses....Same unbridled greed, but different style... Love of the people... Wise old mentor who DGAF.Her big move is against the Lannisters.First you get the money, then you get the power, then...Who has that right now?I don't see the upside of screwing with the Starks with no immediate return.Once already, she held back and chose a side once she knew the likely outcome.
2013-04-23 4:18 PM
in reply to: #4709543

User image

Expert
Central Mass
Big Appa - 2013-04-22 8:35 AM

GomesBolt - 2013-04-21 7:11 PM Danerys part was too short. But I heard that's because it costs so much to do big battle scenes. The Battle of Blackwater was a major part of the budget for the second season.

I think they're being careful not to re-tell everything in the books which means adding stuff like the Cersei/Tywin scene and the Queen of Thorns/Spider scene.

Next episode with Sam and Beric should be good.

Short but well done. They got across most of the plot ideas for everyone who hasn't read the books.

I thought they (the Unsullied) took to their freedom a little too easily.  There was nothing about how they have no individuality - new names every day - and have no concept of freedom.

2013-04-24 10:18 AM
in reply to: #4712091

User image

eabeam - 2013-04-23 2:34 PM Her main difference from Cersei is that Cersei plays the game in spite of her gender, Margaery embraces and exploits all of the female stereotypes... Kissing orphans, stroking the male ego, low cut dresses....Same unbridled greed, but different style... Love of the people... Wise old mentor who DGAF.Her big move is against the Lannisters.First you get the money, then you get the power, then...Who has that right now?I don't see the upside of screwing with the Starks with no immediate return.Once already, she held back and chose a side once she knew the likely outcome.

Good analysis of her.  

I think she's an interesting character.  She has the ability to go either way doesn't she?  Evil like Joffrey, Sweet like Sansa.  Seems like most characters, you know which way they're gonna go.

2013-04-24 10:24 AM
in reply to: #4712292

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
scorpio516 - 2013-04-23 5:18 PM

GomesBolt - 2013-04-21 7:11 PM Danerys part was too short. But I heard that's because it costs so much to do big battle scenes. The Battle of Blackwater was a major part of the budget for the second season.

I think they're being careful not to re-tell everything in the books which means adding stuff like the Cersei/Tywin scene and the Queen of Thorns/Spider scene.

Short but well done. They got across most of the plot ideas for everyone who hasn't read the books.

I thought they (the Unsullied) took to their freedom a little too easily.  There was nothing about how they have no individuality - new names every day - and have no concept of freedom.

One of the (later) concerns is if she sells the unsullied, they can be used against her because they have no loyalty to anyone but the new master.

So really all they did was follow their new masters order and kill the old masters.  No one walked away or dropped a spear to gain their 'freedom'.  

2013-04-24 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4713262

User image

Champion
SoCal
ratherbesnowboarding - 2013-04-24 8:24 AM
scorpio516 - 2013-04-23 5:18 PM

One of the (later) concerns is if she sells the unsullied, they can be used against her because they have no loyalty to anyone but the new master.

So really all they did was follow their new masters order and kill the old masters.  No one walked away or dropped a spear to gain their 'freedom'.  

Well they are free now so they wouldn't be sold. I bet later on we will get some of the "this one's name is" and then they get names but I think for just a normal person watching the show you get the idea that they are an army that is fighting for her now and thats all really for the show you need to know.

2013-04-29 8:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Now that was a sword fight! Flaming sword, burning shield, resurrection...what more could you ask for?

I thought last night's episode was one of the better of the entire series. Though I wish the scene in the cave (North of the wall) would have been extended and had better lighting. Tongue out

2013-04-29 8:41 AM
in reply to: #4718601

User image

wingsfan - 2013-04-29 8:23 AM

Now that was a sword fight! Flaming sword, burning shield, resurrection...what more could you ask for?

I thought last night's episode was one of the better of the entire series. Though I wish the scene in the cave (North of the wall) would have been extended and had better lighting. Tongue out

Don't know what it was, but I wasn't into this episode too much until the scene with Tyrion, Tywin, and Cersei. I loved Cersei's reactions. The actor playing Tywin really does a great job.

Eta- the sword scene was good too. But there was a whole lotta snooze in the middle. Maybe I need to rewatch later this week.

Edited by GomesBolt 2013-04-29 8:42 AM

2013-04-29 8:55 AM
in reply to: #4718637

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
GomesBolt - 2013-04-29 8:41 AM

Don't know what it was, but I wasn't into this episode too much until the scene with Tyrion, Tywin, and Cersei. I loved Cersei's reactions. The actor playing Tywin really does a great job.

Eta- the sword scene was good too. But there was a whole lotta snooze in the middle. Maybe I need to rewatch later this week.

I thought it was one of the better episodes. A lot more action and stuff happening.

2013-04-29 9:13 AM

User image

Champion
SoCal

Best line of the show:

You know nothing Jon Snooo ooooooo ohhhhhhhhHHHHH!

2013-04-29 2:54 PM
in reply to: #4718637

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Cersei's reactions were amazing. I loved watching her smug enjoyment as Tywin was ordering Tyrion to marry Sansah...until the tables got turned on her and her expression turned to outrage. I kept hearing Nelson Muntz' (from the Simpsons) voice, "Hah hah!"

I really like the character of the Hound. I'm sure there's more to him in the book.

Poor Sansah. Ten minutes ago, she was about to be crowned queen. Now her dad's head is on a pike, she's the prisoner of a sociopath and his sadistic mother, people are tripping over each other vying to see who gets to be first to betray her, and she's about to be forced to be married to, and bear the children of a disfigured dwarf twice her age. Good times.

2013-04-29 2:58 PM
in reply to: #4719501

User image

jmk-brooklyn - 2013-04-29 2:54 PM

Cersei's reactions were amazing. I loved watching her smug enjoyment as Tywin was ordering Tyrion to marry Sansah...until the tables got turned on her and her expression turned to outrage. I kept hearing Nelson Muntz' (from the Simpsons) voice, "Hah hah!" I really like the character of the Hound. I'm sure there's more to him in the book. Poor Sansah. Ten minutes ago, she was about to be crowned queen. Now her dad's head is on a pike, she's the prisoner of a sociopath and his sadistic mother, people are tripping over each other vying to see who gets to be first to betray her, and she's about to be forced to be married to, and bear the children of a disfigured dwarf twice her age. Good times.

Poor Sansa indeed.  Even Tyrion feels bad for her and he's the one marrying her!!!

I too heard the Nelson laugh when she had that reaction.  I had to rewind and watch that scene again too. 

2013-04-29 3:13 PM
in reply to: #4719512

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I accidentally popped into this thread without watching a single episode of this season yet and say "poor Sansa".

Man, I HOPE I get to the point to feel bad for her.  I sort of had the "see what you get" attitude for her.  Started when she basically stood up for Joffrey instead of her sister way back in season one.  She wanted to be be rich and powerful and the queen so bad, she forsook everything.  So I was glad that things were working out so well for her.

2013-04-29 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4719530

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Kido - 2013-04-29 1:13 PM

I accidentally popped into this thread without watching a single episode of this season yet and say "poor Sansa".

Man, I HOPE I get to the point to feel bad for her.  I sort of had the "see what you get" attitude for her.  Started when she basically stood up for Joffrey instead of her sister way back in season one.  She wanted to be be rich and powerful and the queen so bad, she forsook everything.  So I was glad that things were working out so well for her.

Thanks for reminding.. kind of forgot about that part.

2013-04-29 3:27 PM

User image

Kido - 2013-04-29 3:13 PM

So true...

She started all of this mess.

Actually, it's really hard to figure out who started it.  Afterall, Brand shouldn't have been climbing, Arya shouldn't have been playing with the butcher's boy, Ned should've told Robert "uh look, I love you like a brother, but I'm not going to King's Landing as long as the Lannisters are down there." 

I blame Rhaegar for kidnapping Ned's sister.  That's whose fault this is.

2013-04-29 3:56 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

You're 100% right. The only thing I'd say in Sansah's defense is that her punishment has been vastly disproportionate to her crimes. What teenage girl wouldn't want the change to be queen? And Arya was anything but the angelic younger sister. I'd also add that, to be fair, she probably had very little choice in the matter. When your father, Hand of the King, tells you you're going to marry the king's son, no one is asking for your opinion.

2013-04-29 6:39 PM
in reply to: #4719594

User image

Sensei
Sin City
jmk-brooklyn - 2013-04-29 1:56 PM

You're 100% right. The only thing I'd say in Sansah's defense is that her punishment has been vastly disproportionate to her crimes. What teenage girl wouldn't want the change to be queen? And Arya was anything but the angelic younger sister. I'd also add that, to be fair, she probably had very little choice in the matter. When your father, Hand of the King, tells you you're going to marry the king's son, no one is asking for your opinion.

I know.  In the real word, the fact that HER wolf was killed instead of her sister's is payback enough for lying.  The scales are balanced in my books.  But in fiction, I get to pile on the dislike and point to karma!

Plus, reading the books, she doesn't come across quite as snooty but just a schoolgirl with a crush.

The reason I'm waiting for season three is I'm catching up with the wife on season one and two so I'm back in that dislike mood!  I was starting to obviously turn when she saw Ned's head on a pike and had to deal with Joffrey's abuse.  That's pretty harsh payback.  BUT, she wanted to be queen! 

Edited by Kido 2013-04-29 6:42 PM
2013-05-01 11:35 AM
in reply to: #4719552

User image

Expert
Central Mass
GomesBolt - 2013-04-29 4:27 PM

So true...

Actually, it's really hard to figure out who started it.  Afterall, Brand shouldn't have been climbing, Arya shouldn't have been playing with the butcher's boy, Ned should've told Robert "uh look, I love you like a brother, but I'm not going to King's Landing as long as the Lannisters are down there." 

Rhaegar was still crazy and burning people left and right without kidnapping Robert's bride-to-be

I'll blame his ancestors for laying out the whole only marry your sister plan...

... I think both these points were in the show, obviously Jamie brought up the first point this episode...

2013-05-01 1:42 PM
in reply to: #4722446

User image

Extreme Veteran
scorpio516 - 2013-05-01 11:35 AM
GomesBolt - 2013-04-29 4:27 PM

So true...

Rhaegar was still crazy and burning people left and right without kidnapping Robert's bride-to-be

I'll blame his ancestors for laying out the whole only marry your sister plan...

... I think both these points were in the show, obviously Jamie brought up the first point this episode...

Rhaegar would appear to be a kidnapper, but it was his father, Aerys II - The Mad King who did the burning of people left and right.

2013-05-05 8:55 PM

User image

The scene with Tyrion and Sansa and Shay was just painful.
2013-05-05 9:20 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Who was it that Joffrey had killed in the montage at the end?
2013-05-05 10:18 PM
in reply to: #4728452

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
jmk-brooklyn - 2013-05-05 7:20 PMWho was it that Joffrey had killed in the montage at the end?
Roz. The prostitute from Winterfell who became Baelish's #2 and the Spider's informant.It is who the Spider and Littlefinger were discussing before the montage.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Game of Thrones Third Season (spoilers) Rss Feed  

of 7