General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Miami : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-10-16 8:14 PM
in reply to: Diesel J

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Miami : Official Thread
i was horrified of jellyfish for a long time and they're really not that bad. little pin point stings that you notice sometimes but not so bad that you can't ignore them. if you are used to swimming in lake michigan, the atlantic off of miami will be nice. i was there last january for the marathon and the water at bayfront was really pretty.
don't leave your wetsuit home, though. i've talked to a couple of people who've done miami and it was wetsuit legal. the ocean is not nearly as predictable as people would like to believe.

good luck on knockin down your second 70 miler.

2013-10-16 8:30 PM
in reply to: billyjorussellbob

User image

I've packed the wetsuit in my gear bag, but I don't expect to take it out.  It was westuit legal last year (for the first time I think) and Sandy had come nearby, lots of wind will always drop water temps.

2013-10-18 9:37 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

New user
Hollywood, FL
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=vakf1 gives up-to-date water temperature at Virgina Key, FL, just a few miles from the race site. The water temperature is currently above 82F; so, it's looking like it won't be wetsuit legal.
2013-10-21 12:20 PM
in reply to: ccjr

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Been a long season. Taper officially started Saturday. Not feeling very fresh, so I'm doing workouts only when I feel good. I'm not getting that pumped up feeling I had in the week prior to Rev3 Branson a month ago.....worried.
2013-10-21 12:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by ccjr

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=vakf1 gives up-to-date water temperature at Virgina Key, FL, just a few miles from the race site. The water temperature is currently above 82F; so, it's looking like it won't be wetsuit legal.

Good! I swim faster without one, but always feel pressured to do what the crowd does.
2013-10-21 2:14 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

New user

Chicago
Just wondering, what should I expect on the bike course? . I've heard that in previous years the railroad tracks were dangerous, but I'm hoping they've worked it out this year. Also, are there typically high winds in Miami this time of year? Can I expect a strong headwind on Route 27? 5 days til race time!

Jessica
Wave 10 - 7:59 AM Start

2013-10-21 4:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by Diesel J

Just wondering, what should I expect on the bike course? . I've heard that in previous years the railroad tracks were dangerous, but I'm hoping they've worked it out this year. Also, are there typically high winds in Miami this time of year? Can I expect a strong headwind on Route 27? 5 days til race time!

Jessica
Wave 10 - 7:59 AM Start

Current projections for 9 am Sunday on www.sailflow.com for Miami are outbound head/cross wind of 10-14 mph, and tail/cross winds of 10-14 mph at 12 pm on return leg. Winds seem to shift further from the east as well, so basically the sooner you get to the halfway point the better.

Check that site closer to competition. Its fairly accurate as it is used for sailing.

Wave 12/45-49/8:07

Edited by FranzZemen 2013-10-21 4:59 PM
2013-10-21 5:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I use this site for wind predictions and I find it to be pretty accurate as well.  Note that it will probably default to knots for the wind speed - change that in the settings button at the top.  Once we are within 3 days you can switch to the super forecast and it will give hourly data.

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/port_of_miami

It pretty much agrees with the above for the forecast.

Edit: Wave 22 @ 8:47....  I'm gonna roast!  

Edited by axteraa 2013-10-21 5:11 PM
2013-10-22 8:38 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

New user
Hollywood, FL
Originally posted by axteraa

Edit: Wave 22 @ 8:47....  I'm gonna roast!  

Where did you find the swim waves list? I've only found the one for last year - http://ironmanmiami.com/?p=1069 - assuming it's the same, I'll be out @ 8:35.
2013-10-22 8:46 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I have been assuming that list is valid for this year.

2013-10-22 9:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

I have been assuming that list is valid for this year.

Pre-published swim wave lists have been my bane all year long. Three times I was up front, only to arrive at the Expo and find my wave pushed way back.

Here's to hoping they don't tinker with this one.

2013-10-22 6:18 PM

User image

Bored today at work.   Looked over the website, thoughts and oddities.....

The swim wave list indicates it's for Oct. 27.  Unless it was the same day in 2012, that seems to be ours

Notes that wetsuits have to be down to waist, not taken off until the change tent, then another mention of a change tent...  change tent at a 70.3?

Says have to pick up the bike bag after the swim

And the run bag after the bike.   Spearate bags in a non-point to point race?

Number has to be worn on bike. 

Shoes can be on bike

None of this appears in the athlete guide though    And AG says shoes in bag, and does not require bike number

All very confusing. 

2013-10-23 12:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by ChrisM

The swim wave list indicates it's for Oct. 27.  Unless it was the same day in 2012, that seems to be ours

Notes that wetsuits have to be down to waist, not taken off until the change tent, then another mention of a change tent...  change tent at a 70.3?

Shoes can be on bike

None of this appears in the athlete guide though    And AG says shoes in bag, and does not require bike number

All very confusing. 

I agree. None of this makes sense. And I heard somewhere it most likely will not be wetsuit legal.

I guess that's a good reason to get to the athlete briefing.

Leaving for Miami tonight. Driving from Dallas. Hoping to get a last taper run in on the way, a swim at the Epic on Friday and a short bike in on Saturday.
2013-10-23 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Bib numbers are published.
2013-10-23 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Bib numbers are published.
2013-10-23 12:44 PM

User image

Originally posted by FranzZemen

Shoes can be on bike

All very confusing. 

I agree. None of this makes sense. And I heard somewhere it most likely will not be wetsuit legal. I guess that's a good reason to get to the athlete briefing. Leaving for Miami tonight. Driving from Dallas. Hoping to get a last taper run in on the way, a swim at the Epic on Friday and a short bike in on Saturday.

I am quite sure it won't be wetsuit legal. 

Anyone else using tribike transport and have any clue where they are going to be set up?  Looks like he TBT/IM relationship isn't quite as solid in Miami as other races.

2013-10-23 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Worth mentioning wind forecasts are for increasing winds compared to what was expected earlier in the day. Looks like a side wind until the turn northwards when it becomes a side/headwind. We get a bit of tailwind south until it bends again when it then is a side wind.

Wind speeds closer to 16-20 mph. That will make for a relatively slow bike segment unless direction shifts favorably between now and then.
2013-10-23 12:45 PM

User image

Originally posted by FranzZemen Worth mentioning wind forecasts are for increasing winds compared to what was expected earlier in the day. Looks like a side wind until the turn northwards when it becomes a side/headwind. We get a bit of tailwind south until it bends again when it then is a side wind. Wind speeds closer to 16-20 mph. That will make for a relatively slow bike segment unless direction shifts favorably between now and then.

Hoping that "disc wheel acts like a sail in crosswinds" theory holds true! 

2013-10-23 1:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

Originally posted by FranzZemen Worth mentioning wind forecasts are for increasing winds compared to what was expected earlier in the day. Looks like a side wind until the turn northwards when it becomes a side/headwind. We get a bit of tailwind south until it bends again when it then is a side wind. Wind speeds closer to 16-20 mph. That will make for a relatively slow bike segment unless direction shifts favorably between now and then.

Hoping that "disc wheel acts like a sail in crosswinds" theory holds true! 

I believe it does. Even my 808's have a sail effect.
2013-10-24 8:44 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I officially gave up any hope for a wetsuit swim this morning (not that I really had any to begin with) and didn't pack it.  If something freaky happens and it turns out to be legal, you can thank me.  

2013-10-24 9:05 AM

User image

New user
Hollywood, FL

Originally posted by FranzZemen

Shoes can be on bike

All very confusing. 

I agree. None of this makes sense. And I heard somewhere it most likely will not be wetsuit legal. I guess that's a good reason to get to the athlete briefing. Leaving for Miami tonight. Driving from Dallas. Hoping to get a last taper run in on the way, a swim at the Epic on Friday and a short bike in on Saturday.

I am quite sure it won't be wetsuit legal. 

Anyone else using tribike transport and have any clue where they are going to be set up?  Looks like he TBT/IM relationship isn't quite as solid in Miami as other races.

The title sponsor - City Bikes - is a direct competitor and is also offering bike transport service, that may explain it.

2013-10-24 9:08 AM

User image

New user
Hollywood, FL

I officially gave up any hope for a wetsuit swim this morning (not that I really had any to begin with) and didn't pack it.  If something freaky happens and it turns out to be legal, you can thank me.  

+1. I used my wetsuit once this year, and with water temperature averaging 83 degrees, it looks like using it in my last swim session wouldn't be a good use of my training time. I'll keep it in the back of the car, just in case.
2013-10-24 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4681337

User image

Sorry, this is a reply re bike shipping but on the iPhone can't figure out how to quote..... Anyway, yes looks like the city bike deal interferes with TBT. The problem is city bikes does not offer shipping, only receipt and assembly for (I think) $200. Shipping fees are specifically not included. Having a hard time figuring out how this is a good deal.....
2013-10-24 1:38 PM

User image

New user

Chicago

Sorry, this is a reply re bike shipping but on the iPhone can't figure out how to quote..... Anyway, yes looks like the city bike deal interferes with TBT. The problem is city bikes does not offer shipping, only receipt and assembly for (I think) $200. Shipping fees are specifically not included. Having a hard time figuring out how this is a good deal.....

I'm using Citybikes and I too am having trouble justifying the $200.00....I'm essentially paying to make life only slightly easier for myself. I don't have to worry about assembling my bike when I get there. However, shipping is not included and cost me like $80 bucks there and then another $80 bucks back......so, I'm starting to think it might have just been better to check it as luggage. Oh well, you live, you learn...the sport of triathlon is not cheap.

Jessica
Bib #1100
2013-10-24 2:15 PM
in reply to: Diesel J

User image

Originally posted by Diesel J
Originally posted by ChrisM Sorry, this is a reply re bike shipping but on the iPhone can't figure out how to quote..... Anyway, yes looks like the city bike deal interferes with TBT. The problem is city bikes does not offer shipping, only receipt and assembly for (I think) $200. Shipping fees are specifically not included. Having a hard time figuring out how this is a good deal.....
I'm using Citybikes and I too am having trouble justifying the $200.00....I'm essentially paying to make life only slightly easier for myself. I don't have to worry about assembling my bike when I get there. However, shipping is not included and cost me like $80 bucks there and then another $80 bucks back......so, I'm starting to think it might have just been better to check it as luggage. Oh well, you live, you learn...the sport of triathlon is not cheap. Jessica Bib #1100

It's definitely worth something, but not sure $200, especially from the west coast....   You are paying about as much as I am for tri bike transport from L.A. including a gear bag and wheel bag.  Shipping from here would probably be $300 alone.  Then $200 is definitely not worth it.   Then again, I had a friend have someone unknow pack their bikes from San Juan 70.3, they both arrived with cracked frames.  In that case $200 is cheap! 

So I gues sno matter how you slice it your last statement is very true! 

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Miami : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3