Iron Pig Festival
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 33m 39s
Overall Rank = 24/213
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/10
Pre-race routine:

Woke early 5 a.m. for a 2 hour 15 min drive to the event. Breakfast was bagel with peanut butter, coffee, banana.
Nutrition for the race is one packet of GenUcan 1 hour prior to race. 1 bike bottle filled with water and Red Bull. Nothing else taken during race.
Event warmup:

Cool, rainy weather. Main concern was staying warm and dry. Starting drinking GenUcan about an hour prior to race start. Light stretching exercises and short run prior to event start.
Run
  • 20m 22s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Stayed within my comfort level. Felt good throughout the run. Focused on cadence and form.
What would you do differently?:

Might have been able to push is a little harder, but doubt it would have made any difference. I didn't want to over-cook the first run and leave little for the bike and run #2.
Transition 1
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Rain began at end of run 1. Transition was 9 seconds slower than last year. I blame it on the weather and everything getting wet. Also new helmet this year, had trouble with buckle.

Practice more with new helmet.
Bike
  • 49m 44s
  • 18 miles
  • 21.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Heavy rain during entire bike leg. One cross wind gust sent me into the oncoming traffic lane. Was afraid to lean too hard into the wind as wet as it was for fear of crashing. Rain hit my body so hard it hurt. Lots of standing water on road. Glasses started fogging up on the way back and I started to get chilled. Thought I had a flat tire at one point because of the water. Funny thing is I was 2 min. 15 seconds faster than last year on the bike. WTH?

Had I known the conditions were going to be as bad as they were, I probably would have left my race wheels at home, and used my training rims.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Again, slower this year than last, but only by 1.5 seconds. Stood in deep puddle while putting on my running shoes.

Nothing
Run
  • 22m 1s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Took no water coming out of T2, I drank my entire bike bottle that was filled with water and RedBull. Legs felt strong and passed one of my fellow age groupers in the first 100 meters of the run giving me a little more encouragement. Left hamstring started tightening up just before the turn around, but was able to loosen it up during the run. Probably should have started picking up the pace earlier in the run.

Push harder earlier.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much really. Walked around finish line area waiting for my wife and friends to finish. Grabbed two pieces of french toast and sausage and made a sandwich.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather, but everybody was on the same playing field.

Event comments:

I only give below average on post race activities because of the weather conditions, NOT because of the race director. They just wanted to get the awards handed out and everybody gone because everybody was muddy, wet and cold. Last year's event had plenty of post race activities as this one would have if not for the weather. Overall great race to do.

Last updated: 2013-01-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:22 | 03.1 miles | 06m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 27/213
Performance: Good
Course: Flat as you can get. Run #1 takes place on airport runway. Light wind, cool conditions, perfect setup for a 5K PR
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:52
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:49:44 | 18 miles | 21.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 27/213
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back course. Headwind out, tailwind back, but crosswinds also factored in due to heavy rain storm during the entire bike leg.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:01 | 03.1 miles | 07m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 32/213
Performance: Average
Course: Fairly flat out and back on outer road of airport. Rain had slowed to sprinkles, weather still cool. Wind calmer than on the bike. Felt pretty good coming off the bike
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes