General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint or Olympic Distance? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-11-28 12:16 AM

Expert
NC Illinois
Subject: Sprint or Olympic Distance?
I have a question about training distances.

This year, August 2003 to August 2004, I am looking to compete in sprint triathlons.

I talked to a guy in my area that does triathlons and he told me "if you can do a sprint, you can do an olympic tri". Since, my goal for the fall of 2004 is to start training for olympic distances, would it be better for me (long term) to just start training those distances now?

In other words, if you trained olympic distance, would it be appropriate for sprint distance races?

I'm struggling with the idea, and I'm trying to keep myself from "getting ahead of myself" or "putting the cart in front of the horse".

I guess I am wondering if it would be better to:

[1] Train olympic distances even though I will be racing sprints in my first year

• .. or ...

• [2] Train sprint distances for sprint races, then jump up to olympic distances after this tri season is over.

Anyone have experience with this?

I am contemplating the idea based on information I have read that stated the longer the distance, the more important "basic skills" are. In other words, endurance is more important than speed and power in the longer distances. As a new trainee, my endurance is better than my speed and power. Do you folks find this to be true? I ask because with my current level of experience (a whopping 3 months), I have no idea how to evaluate the comments I read.

Here's my rationale for this question without making this post too long.

I am thinking it might be better to build the endurance first (this year) by training the olympic distances, and then working on icreasing speed and power in the second year vs. training sprint distance endurance, speed, & power, and then repeating the process the second year for the olympic distances. Is this a sound thinking?

Again I am asking because I have desire, dedication, etc but I do not have the experience to judge how it works "on paper" versus "in the trenches", and I would assume that there are folks here that have trained both sprint and olympic distances that could enlighten me.

I appreciate any input.

2003-11-28 5:32 AM
    in reply to: #2139

User image

Veteran
    , Zurich
    Subject: RE: Sprint or Olympic Distance?
    You'll be amazed at the progress you can make by consistent training even if the hours aren't long. (I had a 10:50 for IM distance with only 10-12 hours per week--and I have no natural ability at all)

Most age groupers have training time as a primary limitation. There's not much difference between preparing for olympic versus sprint--it depends on your individual background whether you need to work on endurance versus speed stuff. Most people will benefit significantly by doing endurance only (except the pool) but do it consistently.

My recommendation would be to figure out how many hours you can/want to train and slowly increases distances to fit in with that amount of training. In general, if you only have 6-8 hours a week, none of it should be speed--at any distance. Moving to the 10-12 hour range, you can incorporate a wee bit of speed for short distances, but none if preparing for IM or half IM.

It's my weakness as well to think that I should be doing more speedwork, but in reality, my body benefits much more from sticking to basic endurance and working to improve other areas: nutrition, sleep, strength, flexibility, consistency. I've started an article called 'Balanced Scorecard' which is corporate concept for running businesses. It applies well to endurance training (which is really project management). Stay tuned....
    2003-12-02 8:43 AM

User image

Expert
    Rockledge, Fl
    Subject: RE: Sprint or Olympic Distance?
    I am in no way an expert, but I believe the biggest difference other than some longer long runs/rides/swims on long days. It would probably be better to get a good base foundation before startimg speedwork. Jeff Galloway's book on running says to get a good base of running for a year before starting speedwork and hill training to prevent injuries.
    2003-12-02 9:16 AM

Subject: ...
    This user's post has been ignored.
    2003-12-02 9:18 AM

Subject: ...
    This user's post has been ignored.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint or Olympic Distance? Rss Feed