General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training on Jekyll Island? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-02 7:37 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: Training on Jekyll Island?

My wife and I are vacationing on Jekyll Island the first week of May.

Is this a good place to ride that it would be worth taking my bike?  I see there are MUP's, but won't ride my bike on them for training, because it's not safe at those speeds, so I'm asking about riding on the roads.

How about swimming?  What are the areas to go to, and what are the areas to avoid?

Are there any groups who train in the area?

2013-04-02 7:54 PM
in reply to: #4684281

User image

New user
Watkinsville, Ga
Subject: RE: Training on Jekyll Island?
You can ride the entire island. Basically one big loop. Google the Turtle Crawl and look at the race map (not that you will need it as there is one road that goes round the island). Lots of sidewalks and trails for running. Pretty much the entire beach area for OWS. Only one side of island is beach, the other side is marsh.
2013-04-03 9:22 AM
in reply to: #4684281

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Subject: RE: Training on Jekyll Island?

Ditto everything said above. You're 2 weeks shy of the Turtle Crawly Oly and Sprint. (May 18) You can ride your road or tri bike around the whole island, many people ride there. There are also miles and miles of bike paths for slower speeds and/or transportation. We spend a week there every year for spring break and have often not moved our car the whole week and traveled only by bike.

The beach is good for ocean swimming but there is sometimes a current. I would consider using a wetsuit unless you are 100% comfortable ocean swimming. The tide is crazy on the island as within a short time frame, half the beach will either appear or disappear.

As far as training groups I'm not sure. You could google groups out of Brunswick which is the closest city.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training on Jekyll Island? Rss Feed