General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me get started Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-02 9:35 PM

Subject: Help me get started
In 2010, i wrote a goal on a cocktail napkin to complete a triathlon before i am 50. I will turn 49 in october and i intend to get this done. At the time i wrote it and up to january of this year i weighed at or above 300. I started a calorie budget feb 1 and am down to 261. I knew i had get nutrition right first, but now im just procrastinating. Give me your thoughts about getting started

2013-04-02 10:05 PM
in reply to: #4684391

Subject: RE: Help me get started
Im reading more posts. You guys talk about big weights, but you're all 6'4"!!! Im 5' 11" with my boots on. Being so fat is what makes me hesitant
2013-04-02 10:14 PM

User image

New user
Welcome to this community! My advice is to jump right in! I started walking last summer. A big incentive for me was to have a 5k on my calendar. Find an event that you want to do and sign up. Trifind.com is a great resource for events. Then use this site to find a training program.
Ask questions and utilize this great supportive group of athletes! Getting active will of course help with weight loss!
2013-04-03 2:06 AM

User image

Calgary, AB

Congratulations on the changes you've already made -- nearly 40 pounds gone already?!?  Wow!   

I completely echo the point about the value of signing up -- a race on the calendar (already paid!) does wonders for motivation.   Just a thought -- how about a 5K in June, and a sprint triathlon in September?

When I started I was an absolute non-runner.  I found that using a Couch to 5K program was incredibly helpful to get from starting point (able to run for one minute max) to running an entire 5K.   There's lots of apps that you can download to guide you through the run/walks -- I used https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/get-running-couch-to-5k/id319043985?mt=8

Spend some time poking around this board, and the weight loss board -- trust me there's lots of folks who have (or had)  the same body shape who can share tips and advice.  

Good luck and welcome!

Scott.

2013-04-03 6:54 AM

User image

Veteran

Simple (some steps more than others...) 12 step plan...

Ok first things first... Talk to your Doc...

1. Do not start running today. That is after step 3. But walk then run...

2. Find a running shop, a bike shop, pool and coach.

3. Make sure the running shop can analyze your gait and get you in the right shoes. Be prepared to buy two pairs.

4. You do not need a $5000 bike but hey if that’s what you want then I say go for it. No matter make sure you get a professional fit done. Get a refit after a few months your body will change...

5. Swim; try it a few times then get a coach… After a few times in the pool you will understand why.

6. Find a club you like and join, tri club, bike club and tell everyone you met your goal. You will be amazed at the outpouring of support you will get!

7. Find the Race you want to do AND SIGN UP (This step should be done as close to step 1 as possible). It does not have to be 140.6 or 70.3 or… It needs to be the one you want. Distance? Who cares....

8. Use BT and select a plan and use it to train. You will have structure and a schedule. You can always get a coach just depends on your situation.

9. Training, Training, Training…

10. Prepare for race day…

11. Start the race.

12. Finish the race and become a TRIATHELETE; Who cares what distance YOU will be a TRIATHELETE when you cross that finish line!

Edited by 1_Mad_Madone 2013-04-03 6:59 AM
2013-04-03 8:23 AM
in reply to: #4684585

User image

Calgary, AB

Just to demonstrate that there are different ways of going about it.... I didn't get a coach, didn't get a professional bike fit, didn't get new running shoes with my gait analyzed (not until I'd been running for 6 months), didn't join a tri club, didn't use a structured BT plan (beyond the Couch to 5K).  

They're not bad ideas, mind you, but many folks will get started on their triathlon journey in a more low-key way.    

Completely agree with point 7 in particular -- not feeling like you need to do Ironman or Half-Ironman distance right off the bat.  I felt like a king finishing my sprint distance.   If you're lucky, you can even find a "Try-a-Tri" event which is even shorter as a first race.

2013-04-03 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4684417

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Tkag87 - 2013-04-02 11:05 PM Im reading more posts. You guys talk about big weights, but you're all 6'4"!!! Im 5' 11" with my boots on. Being so fat is what makes me hesitant

I'm going to echo everybody else's "jump right in" sentiment.  Don't let the weight determine what you can do.  Not all of us are giants or muscular.  Last summer when I started my tri journey I was 6'1", weighed 378 lbs, and wore 50" jeans.  It was already the middle of June when I got the crazy idea to do a tri.  So I searched BT's race finder for the latest PA sprint I could find and registered.  Now I had a real goal, not just a note on a napkin.

The next step was to tell all of my neighbors, everyone I talked to on my walks/runs, and everyone in my Weight Watchers meeting about my goal.  Unbelievably my city doesn't have a triathlon club, so I am left to my own devices.  The support and constant queries into how my training was going kept me accountable to someone other than myself.  This was important because I have learned it is far too easy to simply allow myself to blow off a workout for some hyped up mental excuse.  Early on I made the decision not tell any of my brothers what I was doing to avoid the naysayers.  They didn't learn about this craziness until after I finished my first course.

USE BT's RESOURES!  I have found the training logs and calendars to be fabulous motivators.  I'm especially fond of the stats section in the left hand column of the training log home page.  It gives you last month's totals for any training you enter, this month's totals, this year's totals, and last year's totals.  Friend a few people and they can view your calendar and offer moral support.  Plus you can view their calendars and compare your consistency with theirs to motivate yourself.  And only compare your consistency, never times or distances.  That old disclaimer "Your Mileage May Vary" holds especially true in this sport.  My goal for my June 15th first race of this season is to have exceeded my 2012 totals before that date.  Then, based on my race performance, I will see what other races I want to plan for the remainder of this year.

The Mentor thread that is stickied at the top of our section is fantastic.  You will find a group of like minded (and like bodiedpersons there with all kinds of support. There have been/are days that I simply do not even want to step out the door.  I learned that many people here felt the same.  The strangest part, for me, was when people started to thank me for keeping them motivated. And that added to my accountability because now, while I did not have a side-by-side training partner, I had several virtual training partners who motivated me, consoled me, and supported me.  And while I have had days that it took everything I had to get out the door, I have never had a day that I wasn't glad I did it when I was finished.

Finally the big day came.  I was really confident about my swim, comfortable on the bike, and dreading the run.  Guess what?  The morning of the race it was 31* at start time.  They canceled the swim (my strongest discipline) and replaced it with a second 5k run to start the race (already my worst nightmare, now x2).  It took me just over 3 hours to complete the course, but I wasn't the last one to finish.  Even better, there were 16 starters who didn't finish at all.

But probably my favorite piece of advice, and my  Number One Rule is ,,,,, Have Fun With It!!

2013-04-03 8:45 AM

User image

I think the biggest thing is to get started.  However small it may be get going.

I was 6' 2", 325 lbs and 36 years old when I started running last March.  I could run about half a mile before I needed to stop.  I began running about 3 - 4 times a week working on adding a little distance each week.  Before long I was up to running 5k without stopping.  I went to volunteer/cheer on some friends at a local marathon and decided I wanted to run the marathon the following year and that I would try to run a half marathon at the end of the summer.  As I started to look at training plans for the half I found a plan that suggested I MIGHT be able to do a whole marathon at the end of the summer.  I decided to start the plan with an attitude of if it works it works, if not I'll do the one I originally planned on.  I ran a Half Marathon in July and managed to finish my first Marathon in October.

This year I am going to do my first tri's.  So in addition to the running I am doing for my marathon (the one I volunteered at last year) I added swimming and biking.  I have always been a strong swimmer (but no formal technique) so I just started swimming 3 times a weeks and since it was winter I did 2 Spin classes a week.  In an effort to improve my swim efficiency I took a few private lessons which gave me a bump in speed and efficiency.  Now that the weather is getting more appropriate for biking I am trying to get outside and ride a couple of times a week and am roughly following one of the plans from this website.

As far as weight is concerned I lost about 25 lbs between last February and June, but as my mileage began to really increase I decided I wasn't going to focus on weight loss I would just take the fitness and begin dealing with weight loss after the marathon.  I finished the marathon at about 300 lbs and stayed roughly there through the end of the year.  In January I started watching my calorie intake closer (MyFitnessPal) and have lost almost 40 pounds.  As I get deeper into marathon training I may cut back on my weight loss efforts a little to make sure my body is fueled for recovering from the long runs.  I'll have to see how things are going.

Great job on the weight loss to date...And just get started...Smile

2013-04-03 9:24 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan

Keep things simple, and go for it!  Print off a free training plan, and well start training.  Now I will be the 1st to say I never follow the training plan, but it hangs up on dinning room mirror and everything i do - i write it down,dog walk 20 min,  run 15 min, bike 30 min after a week your sheet fills up and you start to feel proud of what is going on.  Now you want to write down something everyday. Then before you know it your trying to hit those (training suggestions) go swim when it saids go swim. Only time goes on these plans for me.

Then 1st thing I do when i get to work.  Go to BT to log my training!  Now we have miles, maps, all kinds of stuff to keep you from working at your job!

My 1st try was in Chicago, the swim was horrible, doggy paddled, swam on back, hung on to rope along sea wall, and you know what, I was never so happy to be out of the water, BUT i DID IT!  No one can tell who you are anyways.  I race for myself.   I'm a completer - not a competer.

I was never so happy riding my bike, run - walking to the finish...and I got the same medal as the other  people who finished before me did.  BECOME A TRIATHLETE - all the other cool kids are doing it....

Good luck

pb

2013-04-03 12:35 PM

Thanks for all the positive comments. I am going to go thru the site. Ill be back with more questions im sure.
2013-04-03 12:57 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

First, congratulations on your progress so far!

I was 50 when I did my first triathlon, three years after having open heart surgery.  I think I was about 220 at the time.

You've already gotten some good advice, but to share my experience, at the risk of repeating a few things:

• Check with your doctor and get cleared before you start.
  • Build slowly.  Temper your enthuiasm and don't overdo things at first - that leads to injury.
  • Be consistent.  If you skip too many workouts, then you're always "starting over" and will find it tough to maintain any gains.  Log your workouts.
  • Consider using the Galloway run/walk method.  It will help you cover more distance while aiding recovery time and protecting against injury.
  • Don't fall into the trap of eating to fuel your workouts and gaining weight back.  I actually gained weight the first couple of years until I got my diet under control.
  • Don't worry about going too slowly at first.  Put your ego in your back pocket.  Speed will come eventually if you stick with it.
  • When starting out don't compare yourself to others.  Compare yourself to how you were a week ago or a month ago.
  • Don't worry how you look.  If you are out there training you will have the respect of other triathletes.  The only folks I've ever heard criticizing someone's appearance were couch potatoes standing outside the ropes and secretly wishing they were you.  Do this and you will be a rockstar with your non-athlete friends & family.
  • Use the all the resources here on BT.  Don't be afraid to ask questions or for advice.

Good luck to you.

Mark

2013-04-03 8:30 PM

User image

New user

I did my 1st sprint at 5'6" and 250ish. I agree with others.....just start. Don't add extra pressure of a particular time. Good luck & enjoy the accomplishment!!!
2013-04-09 1:05 PM
in reply to: #4685935

User image

Expert
Montana
Register for something!

Use the couch-to-5K plan. That is a really nice ease into running.
2013-04-09 2:04 PM

Start with the bike.  Low impact, and the miles you rack up will be encouraging.  When I started, I set a minimum of six miles for myself (three out, three back).  My original goal was to get to where I could bike a marathon (26.2 miles).  Took me all summer worth of training, but I got it done.  I was over 400 lbs at the time.  Carry more water than you need.

I started hitting the local gym and using the indoor track.  I got a heart rate monitor wristwatch, and for sixty minutes I'd work out at whatever level it took to keep my heart rate at around 75% of maximum.  I'd check periodically during my walk and step up the speed if it wasn't high enough.  The type of exercise you do will matter far less than getting your heart rate in the right area for the right amount of time.  For variety, I'd use an eliptical.  After a few months, it got to where I needed to jog along one side of the track each time around to keep my heart rate in the right zone.  Eventually it took two sides, then three, then I'd run a lap/walk a lap.  When I got to where I was just walking laps divisible by 7, I figured it was time to step up the game.

So now, my goal for the year is to finish an Olympic distance.  I'm signed up for two.  I've learned there's nothing quite like having a race on the horizon to keep me motivated.  You can't cram for an endurance race.  Set small goals for each workout, and write them on a Post-It if you need to.  A few examples I've used:

• 6.5 miles on the treadmill, only walking laps divisible by 5.  1 half-lap cheat allowed.
  • 20 laps in the pool.  No backstroke.
  • 3 miles on the treadmill, no speed below 5.2 mph.
  • 21 miles bike, may only stop for traffic.

When you start out, write the cheats into the goal.  Eventually, you'll learn your limits and will set some goals without the cheats.  When you accomplish them, you get to sign and date them and stick them on the bathroom wall.  If you bomb it, cut off a corner and try again in a day or two.  When you get discouraged, take a look at the goals you've completed and remind yourself that you are the type of person who can set and complete goals, and you've got a wall full of goals that you've beat.

After all that, and you get to race day, there's only one goal.  Finish and finish happy.

2013-04-15 12:25 PM

User image

New user

Long Island

I understand your apprehension.  I am 6'3" but started at 340 lbs.  So I am taller but was quite a bit bigger.  I'll turn 48 in June.  I too started by addressing my diet and tracking everything I eat.  I am down to 285 lbs now.  I am registered for my first triathlon for June 16, 2013.  My daughter and I will be doing it together.  Having a partner helps with the motivation.  She lives 3 hours away so we don't train toghether but we compare notes and motivate each other.

When I started the process a triathlon wasn't even on my radar.  I started walking, then went to jogging and finally running.  I did a 5k race with my daughter in August (finished in 37 minutes) and decided over the winter to do a triathlon.  The first thing I did was find a Super Sprint (300m swim, 9k bike, 4k run) in June and signed up.  It seemed to me that starting with a short distance was a good way to break into the sport.

Once I was signed up I joined a new gym, one with a pool.  I started swimming, running on the treadmill and riding the stationary bike.  Over the past few months my stamina has come up quite a bit.  I can now swim the 300 meters, bike 9k and run 4k in the gym in just over an hour.  When I'm doing only one or two of the above I will do longer distances.  Doing each of components of the triathlon individually and then toghether in one session has built my confidence.  Now that the weather is getting nicer (I live in NY) I have moved to running and biking outside.  I will begin open water swims in a couple of weeks.  I've heard this is the biggest challenge of the entire race.

I have not hired a trainer but I'm not shy about asking for advice from those that know.  Getting some tips from seasoned swimmers was the biggest help.  Having better technique makes a difference. 

I had a mountain bike that I hadn't touched in 10+ years.  I took it to a local bike shop for a tune-up.  I realize it's not the ideal bike for a triathlon but it's fine to get started.  I couldn't see dropping hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a bike right now.  I tried a few different running sneakers to get a pair that are comfortable.  I bought a Polar heart monitor that I wear for all workouts.  It helps me monitor my heart rate and keep it at the right level and also gives an accurate count of calories burned.  The heart monitor has been a tremendous help.

The only other equipment I've invested in is a wetsuit.  The water in June is expected to be about 60 degrees.  I ordered the wetsuit from Tommy D Sports as it was the only place I could find one that would fit me.  It is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Though I haven't even competed in my first triathlon I'm already hooked.  I plan on doing two more triathlons before the sumer is over.

The last piece of advice I can give is make sure you schedule your workouts.  I have them worked into my calendar.  Any time I've tried to workout "when I have the time", something else always came up.  Make it an appointment that cannot be broken.

Good luck.

2013-04-15 1:17 PM

User image

Im just going to throw in a CONGRATS on your weight loss!  You are off to a great start!! Oh and what everyone else said in the previous posts. Smile

2013-04-17 2:10 PM

User image

Kenton

Find a friend to train with: I cannot tell you how much this has influenced my workouts.

Post your workouts online: This holds me accountable. I never lie about a workout.

Set a realistic goal: My first triathlon goals?  1. Finish.  2. Don't be last.   3. Don't die.   Amazingly, I attained all three goals.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me get started Rss Feed