2013-04-05 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4688668

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Peter Sagan....it was just a pinch
dmiller5 - 2013-04-05 1:30 PM

BernardDogs - 2013-04-05 3:15 PM

You want me to be less harsh on him because it was meant as a joke.

Nope. I'm finished with that defense. If anything it impacts me to the other extreme. It just makes me think he's stupid on top of insensitive. Stupid to think that joke still flies.

I hold men to the standard of knowing that such is no longer considered a joke. 

Its not a defense, its the reality of the situation. This is where you are losing me. The punishment needs to fit the crime, or the punishment and the crime both lose their meaning.

I feel like what I'm about to say will come across in a negative way, but I sincerely don't mean it that way, I just don't know how else to say this.

When you speak/act like this, you lose your audience. I have had several people PM me about this today saying they agree with me but are afraid to say anything because they don't want to be looked down upon. The way I see your opinion/position is very much. This is what is right, if you aren't doing it you are wrong and SHAMING ALL MEN EVERYWHERE. Really? I appreciate your dedication to this issue, and I think most of your message DOES need to be shared and spread. But some of it just seems unreasonable to me. You can never forgive Sagan for making a dumb joke when he was 23. Where is the room to learn and grow as a person. I would have thought that you would be pushing for counseling or for someone to teach Sagan about what is appropriate, not just casting him aside as wrong and beyond redemption. 

And as far as that not being a funny joke, whether we like it or not, look around at humor in today's society. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but for him to think that would be funny is not only reasonable, it is expected. The first thing I did was chuckle at it when I saw it. I'll admit that even though I will probably be flamed for it. To imply that he should  know that i is "Stupid to think that joke still flies" is out of touch with reality. Now it was completely innapropriate, especially considering the situation, but it falls well within the realm of humor that you can flip around on your television.

Well, TO ME, it's disappointing that as a society, we think that demeaning someone or touching them in an inappropriate way is funny, reasonable and expected.

Since you chuckled, I guess that's your view as well.

I personally don't see the humor when my wife get's grabbed and comes home upset.  I NEVER want to see her hurt or disrespected.  I transfer that displeasure when I see any girl grabbed without consent.  They are someone else's daughter/wife/girl friend.

Maybe the humor of it will fade for you once it's someone your care for this happens to while they were just doing their job.

2013-04-05 3:48 PM
in reply to: #4688663

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Goosedog - 2013-04-05 4:26 PM
BernardDogs - 2013-04-05 4:20 PM 

I'm saying, though, that if a tree (bum pincher) falls in the forest (pinches a bum) and nobody is there to hear it (in the absence of an authority who would prosecute without articulated offense), it still made a sound (he has still committed an assault). 

You keep trying to redefine this to fit your message.  It's inaccurate.  I'm going to say this one more time - for this to be a crime, she has to be offended - articulated or not.  Your definition of assault does not change this reality.

How do you know she was offended unless she articulates it?

We've covered the fact that a myriad of reasons exist for why she might not. Can I assume offense and then call it an assault? Can his actions be egregious enough that any reasonable person would have been offended, even if she wasn't? Is that, then, an assault?

Were his actions, on the podium of an international event, egregious enough? 

2013-04-05 3:51 PM
in reply to: #4684426

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
We spend time arguing about how women feel when we subject them yet we fawn over them in the girls of BT thread and we argue how we should keep certain people on Survivor cause they look good in a bikini in other threads! LOL it's comical on easily we get on our high horses
2013-04-05 3:52 PM
in reply to: #4688674

User image

Sensei
Sin City
dmiller5 - 2013-04-05 1:32 PM

mr2tony - 2013-04-05 3:20 PM Unfair comparison, unless you're actually thinking that the butt pinch was an accident.

no, but the hurt he caused the woman was an accident in this analogy. he did not mean to hurt her. for instance, lets say i ran a red light. I meant to run that red light, but I didn't mean to kill the pedestrian in the crosswalk. Thats the difference between murder 2 and manslaughter.

There is a hole there, IMO.

Your INTENT was to run a red light and the result is you killed someone.  Guess what, you get charged for killing someone (result), not for running the light (intent).  The level of sentence varies.

His INTENT was to grab her butt as a joke.  The result is he hurt her.  So in this case, you believe the punishment should be on the joke (intent) and NOT that he hurt her (result)?

2013-04-05 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4688674

User image

Champion
Chicago
dmiller5 - 2013-04-05 3:32 PM

mr2tony - 2013-04-05 3:20 PM Unfair comparison, unless you're actually thinking that the butt pinch was an accident.

no, but the hurt he caused the woman was an accident in this analogy. he did not mean to hurt her. for instance, lets say i ran a red light. I meant to run that red light, but I didn't mean to kill the pedestrian in the crosswalk. Thats the difference between murderĀ 2 and manslaughter.

OK but you're not going to jail for five years for running a red light, are you?
2013-04-05 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4688708

User image

Sensei
Sin City

jford2309 - 2013-04-05 1:51 PM We spend time arguing about how women feel when we subject them yet we fawn over them in the girls of BT thread and we argue how we should keep certain people on Survivor cause they look good in a bikini in other threads! LOL it's comical on easily we get on our high horses

Maybe the line is blurry (and I personally refrain from commenting in those threads - not to proclaim I have NEVER posted there).

I do know people can make crude comments that can offend, but I also draw a line between that and something physical.

I keep using it because I can relate:  I can't count how many times people have said something raunchy/crude or leered at the wife.  I don't like it, but I can "tolerate" it.  But lay hands on her?  oh no...

I don't think I'm on a high horse or being hypocritical.

2013-04-05 3:59 PM
in reply to: #4688701

User image

NC
BernardDogs - 2013-04-05 4:48 PM

Can I assume offense and then call it an assault? Can his actions be egregious enough that any reasonable person would have been offended, even if she wasn't? Is that, then, an assault?

In order:

Sure, if you assume she was offended, we can call it a crime based on that assumption. 

Possibly, but that doesn't make it a crime. 

No.

To be a crime, without knowing more, no.

2013-04-05 4:06 PM
in reply to: #4688668

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
dmiller5 - 2013-04-05 4:30 PM

BernardDogs - 2013-04-05 3:15 PM
You want me to be less harsh on him because it was meant as a joke.

Nope. I'm finished with that defense. If anything it impacts me to the other extreme. It just makes me think he's stupid on top of insensitive. Stupid to think that joke still flies.

I hold men to the standard of knowing that such is no longer considered a joke. 

Its not a defense, its the reality of the situation. This is where you are losing me. The punishment needs to fit the crime, or the punishment and the crime both lose their meaning.

I feel like what I'm about to say will come across in a negative way, but I sincerely don't mean it that way, I just don't know how else to say this.

When you speak/act like this, you lose your audience. I have had several people PM me about this today saying they agree with me but are afraid to say anything because they don't want to be looked down upon. The way I see your opinion/position is very much. This is what is right, if you aren't doing it you are wrong and SHAMING ALL MEN EVERYWHERE. Really? I appreciate your dedication to this issue, and I think most of your message DOES need to be shared and spread. But some of it just seems unreasonable to me. You can never forgive Sagan for making a dumb joke when he was 23. Where is the room to learn and grow as a person. I would have thought that you would be pushing for counseling or for someone to teach Sagan about what is appropriate, not just casting him aside as wrong and beyond redemption. 

And as far as that not being a funny joke, whether we like it or not, look around at humor in today's society. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but for him to think that would be funny is not only reasonable, it is expected. The first thing I did was chuckle at it when I saw it. I'll admit that even though I will probably be flamed for it. To imply that he should  know that i is "Stupid to think that joke still flies" is out of touch with reality. Now it was completely innapropriate, especially considering the situation, but it falls well within the realm of humor that you can flip around on your television.

Every semester, I instruct a 12 week course for men who are at risk of suspension for behavioral issues. Every semester, the course fills with a minimum (over the past 5 years) of 8 men. For the past fall semesters, I've taught two sections of the course with 8 men in each section. That's around 25 men per year that I spend 12 weeks with helping them to identify the behavior that has landed them at an intersection with the university where they have refused to meet the basic expectations about what it means to be a student of this university.

We offer a female version of the section as well. We do this in two separate, gendered tracks, because we cover specific and societal reasons why their behavior is clashing with larger, more universal expectations. For the past two years, the female track has not had any participants. Prior to that, it averaged 3 per semester.

I am not into shaming men. I have sat in the room countless times when, upon having read the sexual assault codes for the first time, men have realized that their actions met the definition. That moment is always incredibly sad ... and I see it far too regularly. I try desperately to hold my audience. But that desperation matches the desperation of the costs, specific to men, who fail to take this seriously.

I see the world as through the Psych/Sociology lens I've decided to wear by way of my educational path. For whatever reason, I've gravitated to the gender aspects of those fields.  Sexual crimes are reaching epidemic levels both on college campuses and in society at large. I happen to have the ability to impact campus culture. We are in the midst of an awakening where the definitions that have been cited in this discussion are being validated and upheld ... both in the court of public opinion and in the process by which actual cases are heard on campus and in the civil arena. I'm not speaking rhetoric here. This awakening is happening. 

Regardless of intent, men are being held to those awakened standards. I have both the podium and the obligation to increase the awareness of that fact.

The reality of the situation is that the punishment is extreme. If you get stuck saying that it doesn't fit the reality of the situation, I'm going to continue to encourage to adjust your reality. I encourage this because it's very sad when I see the circumstances impact the men around me ... those who get the reality check in the midst of a conduct hearing and suddenly have their behavior defined as assault by people who hand out serious consequences.

You'll note that I've not said what should have happened to Sagan. I've pretty much just expressed extreme frustration that his actions get in the way of men recognizing the awakening I describe. That's shameful. And ignorant. And disregardful of the power he has as an athlete who is watched.

I don't need to be right in all of this. I don't need you to suddenly see the world as I see it. But I encourage you to be more open to the dialogue than you come across. 

Edited by BernardDogs 2013-04-05 4:08 PM
2013-04-05 4:09 PM
in reply to: #4688708

Master
Charlotte, NC

jford2309 - 2013-04-05 4:51 PM We spend time arguing about how women feel when we subject them yet we fawn over them in the girls of BT thread and we argue how we should keep certain people on Survivor cause they look good in a bikini in other threads! LOL it's comical on easily we get on our high horses

Looking/commenting are worlds away from putting your hands on a woman.  If they had taken a picture of him looking at her butt, I seriously doubt we would have 20 pages of discussion, if the picture even got published.

2013-04-05 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4688742

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
BernardDogs - 2013-04-05 4:06 PM

I don't need to be right in all of this. I don't need you to suddenly see the world as I see it. But I encourage you to be more open to the dialogue than you come across. 

Here I am so closed minded having my thoughts challenged and challenging yours. And of course I'm not listening to anything anyone says, or amending my beliefs and thoughts about our subject matter. It would have been much easier to just roll over and say sure thing old man, you're right and gone on believing whatever I want. I'm trying to have an open discussion to learn about the world. Have you not seen the questions I've asked, I've been open to everyone's opinion, and responded. Say whatever else you want about me, don't insult my ability to have a real open minded conversation. Learning doesn't just mean agreeing that someone else is right.

Edited by dmiller5 2013-04-05 4:20 PM
2013-04-05 4:24 PM
in reply to: #4688759

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
dmiller5 - 2013-04-05 5:19 PM
BernardDogs - 2013-04-05 4:06 PM

Here I am so closed minded having my thoughts challenged and challenging yours. And of course I'm not listening to anything anyone says, or amending my beliefs and thoughts about our subject matter. It would have been much easier to just roll over and say sure thing old man, you're right and gone on believing whatever I want. I'm trying to have an open discussion to learn about the world. Have you not seen the questions I've asked, I've been open to everyone's opinion, and responded. Say whatever else you want about me, don't insult my ability to have a real open minded conversation. Learning doesn't just mean agreeing that someone else is right.

What questions do you have that remain unanswered? The consistent theme of your questions has been to challenge what is being presented. That's where you come across as close minded. 

Let me be clear.

I'm thankful that you remain in the dialogue. I truly am. Most men do just as you say ... shut down and stop participating. I'm glad you haven't. Thank you for that. It is most certainly an indicator that you're more interested in dialogue than in debate. That's a valuable skill to have. Continue to hone it.

And if I'm being honest ... yes ... I would have hoped for more movement from you. And less devil's advocacy.

But, again, I appreciate your willingness to stay engaged. To call you less than open to dialogue was not accurate. 

Edited by BernardDogs 2013-04-05 4:24 PM

2013-04-05 4:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
I've been consistently trying to flesh out and explore the issue. I have asked plenty of questions about other's opinions that I did not fully understand. To me it looks like you are not open to hearing anything that disagrees with your opinion. You won't even consider that Sagan meant no harm. To determine if something is bad DEMANDS first the consideration that it could not be bad. To refuse to do so is to neglect half of the discussion.
2013-04-05 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4688773

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

dmiller5 - 2013-04-05 5:27 PM I've been consistently trying to flesh out and explore the issue. I have asked plenty of questions about other's opinions that I did not fully understand. To me it looks like you are not open to hearing anything that disagrees with your opinion. You won't even consider that Sagan meant no harm. To determine if something is bad DEMANDS first the consideration that it could not be bad. To refuse to do so is to neglect half of the discussion.

I have considered that. I articulated that his intent doesn't matter to me as much as the impact does. I defined that impact as 1. impact on the woman and 2. impact on the culture I'm trying to shift.

I've articulated that response should be weighted to the impact ... not the intent. I'll stand by that. 

2013-04-05 4:48 PM
in reply to: #4688777

User image

Sensei
Sin City
BernardDogs - 2013-04-05 2:29 PM

dmiller5 - 2013-04-05 5:27 PM I've been consistently trying to flesh out and explore the issue. I have asked plenty of questions about other's opinions that I did not fully understand. To me it looks like you are not open to hearing anything that disagrees with your opinion. You won't even consider that Sagan meant no harm. To determine if something is bad DEMANDS first the consideration that it could not be bad. To refuse to do so is to neglect half of the discussion.

I have considered that. I articulated that his intent doesn't matter to me as much as the impact does. I defined that impact as 1. impact on the woman and 2. impact on the culture I'm trying to shift.

I've articulated that response should be weighted to the impact ... not the intent. I'll stand by that. 

I agree.

Hence the popularity of phrases like "the consequences of our actions" and similar.

"consequences of our intent" never really took off.

2013-04-05 4:52 PM
in reply to: #4688773

User image

Champion
Chicago
dmiller5 - 2013-04-05 4:27 PM

I've been consistently trying to flesh out and explore the issue. I have asked plenty of questions about other's opinions that I did not fully understand. To me it looks like you are not open to hearing anything that disagrees with your opinion. You won't even consider that Sagan meant no harm. To determine if something is bad DEMANDS first the consideration that it could not be bad. To refuse to do so is to neglect half of the discussion.

The point I THINK Bernard is trying to get across -- that seeing it as anything other than bad is incorrect. You shouldn't look at that and laugh. You should look at that and think `WHAT THE FU** is that idiot doing?' What this guy did can't be construed as anything but wrong, I dont care if he meant no harm or not, what he did was wrong.
2013-04-05 5:59 PM
in reply to: #4688800

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Keep hearing about the Ed Rush story all day (the whole week, actually) and it makes me think of this thread for some reason.  He is also using the "it was just a joke" defense.  Not working out too well for him.

Interesting that it seems pretty universal that everyone is saying he is full of it when he says he was joking and he lost his job for it.  There are some things you just don't say/do.

Don't mess with the integrity of our sports.  Even JOKE about it is a no no.  Mess with the integrity of a girl and inappropriately touch her?  For some?  "Meh, it was just a joke".

Interesting where we focus our indignation.  Basketball is more fun to talk about, I suppose.

2013-04-06 7:00 AM

User image

Bronze member

You know, I'm sitting here thinking about all of this and remembering.

When I was in college I worked in a video store with most other employees the same age I was. The guys that worked there constantly made inappropriate comments or implied sexual jokes towards me, extra "hugs", comments about how I looked. It was not appropriate but I did not do anything about it. I didn't know any better, I just laughed it off. I always thought of sexual harassment as something else, something more violent I guess. I'm sure the video store had policies but I did not know what they were.

The difference between the 20 year old me and the 40 year old me - today I would not tolerate that. Or course I doubt I would be spoken to that way at this age anyway.

My husband used to do his fair share of grabbing my rear when I walked by. Then one day when my son was 2 he grabbed my rear. I looked at my husband and said now look what you are teaching him. Next thing you know he's going to grab the little girl down the street or his teacher.

2013-04-06 7:07 AM
in reply to: #4688530

User image

Bronze member
pitt83 - 2013-04-05 2:31 PM
GLC1968 - 2013-04-05 2:30 PM
Kido - 2013-04-05 11:07 AM
dmiller5 - 2013-04-05 10:46 AM

I think you're reading into what i said with the "it could have been worse" stuff. I was saying, we are villifying him as though he did something worse, not that she should be lucky it wasn't worse.

We all agree it was wrong, as you said, Sagan even knew it was wrong. and no we shouldn't treat other people that way. The big argument was to the degree of wrongness. When people started mentioning jail, and then bringing up rape, that was when it seemed a bit over the top in terms of reaction. This isn't a trivialization of the situation, its putting the situation in perspective. His punishment should be something along the lines of maybe some kind of counseling, or mentoring to help him understand how this behavior is not appropriate, or maybe a team fine (sports teams love fines).  And again, we should look at his intentions. He was doing something to make a funny joke. In the moment he probably didn't even realize that he could be upsetting the model, because as a 23 year old man it likely wouldnt have upset him in the least.

Three points that come to my mind.

I think at 23, you KNOW.  Even younger.  You know that even in grade school, if you pinch a girls butt, they could turn around and clock you.  It may even be part of the fun.  You think that any guy who walks into a bar doesn't know there is a chance they could get slapped for doing that?  But they don't care.  That's the problem.  They/he thinks so little of her that he is willing to make her unhappy/uncomfortable/embarrassed because it would be "fun" for him.

If it wouldn't upset him in the least to do that (or any guy) - that's a BIG problem.  Having fun at the violation of someone else (which is far from "fun" for them) and having that not upset them in the least?

I also think that guys don't get into primal mode when they see a butt.  It's not like all rational thought leaves them and it's "see butt, must touch".  They know it's wrong.  When I see it happen, the guy typically looks at his friends like "look what I just got away with!".  Not considering that the girl may take that home and be upset.  Oh, who cares if she might be offended and upset.  It sure was a great 0.1 second for me!

I'm curious.  If you have a wife/daughter/girlfriend.  Would you dismiss it if some random guy grabbed her?  Forget about it in 5 minutes?  Typically, no.  That's what guys get in to fights about.  Disrespecting their girls.  It upsets them to the point of violence at some point.  So I wonder, if the GUY get's that upset about her getting disrespected and IT DIDN'T EVEN HAPPEN TO HIM, he was just an observer.  How do you think SHE feels?  It actually happened to her.  Think it's not a big deal?

Actually, with Sagan, it appears to not be limited to butts.

Have you all seen this move of his?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUWakT8eu7I

Well now: that kind of lays a "pattern of behavior" doesn't it? This starts to make it a bit more serious than a simple joke or a one off lack of discretion. Someone needs to take a class and get some training maybe?

Just watched that clip - this guy is a creep.

2013-04-06 10:01 PM
in reply to: #4688701

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
BernardDogs - 2013-04-05 4:48 PM
Goosedog - 2013-04-05 4:26 PM
BernardDogs - 2013-04-05 4:20 PM 

I'm saying, though, that if a tree (bum pincher) falls in the forest (pinches a bum) and nobody is there to hear it (in the absence of an authority who would prosecute without articulated offense), it still made a sound (he has still committed an assault). 

You keep trying to redefine this to fit your message.  It's inaccurate.  I'm going to say this one more time - for this to be a crime, she has to be offended - articulated or not.  Your definition of assault does not change this reality.

How do you know she was offended unless she articulates it?

We've covered the fact that a myriad of reasons exist for why she might not. Can I assume offense and then call it an assault? Can his actions be egregious enough that any reasonable person would have been offended, even if she wasn't? Is that, then, an assault?

This will probably get met with "discussion".  But I will go ahead and say it out loud.

If she does not articulate that she was offended then, for any number or reasons, she was ok with it.  That's right.  Unless she says it's wrong AND complains, she was ok with it.  It's really that simple when you boil it down.  You can rationalize it all you want.  She might get retaliation, she might feel helpless, she might feel ashamed, enter excuse here.   But when it comes down to it, if she does not complain, then it's not assault.

Your level of offense may or may not be well above or below her level of offense.  There is an equal chance that she thought:
1) Hey, he just pinched my butt.  Not Cool!  I'm offended and need to find the nearest police officer
2) Hey, he just pinched my butt.  This will absolutely make my career with all the press I"m going to get.

Until she says something, the chances are the same of 1 = 2. 

2013-04-07 7:23 AM

Master
Charlotte, NC
So, do you also believe a victim who does not report it was not really raped also?

Edited by tricrazy 2013-04-07 7:23 AM
2013-04-07 7:42 AM

User image

Master
My poor kids. I have a lot of work to do.

2013-04-07 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4689737

User image

NC

Marvarnett - 2013-04-06 11:01 PM 

But when it comes down to it, if she does not complain, then it's not assault.

If you are equating assault with criminal, absolutely incorrect.  She has to be offended for the pinch to be criminal, whether she complains or not.

Edited by Goosedog 2013-04-07 8:34 AM
2013-04-07 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4689881

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

tricrazy - 2013-04-07 7:23 AM So, do you also believe a victim who does not report it was not really raped also?

Quoted because I am interested in the response...

2013-04-07 1:28 PM

User image

Elite
20 pages on this. Absolutely incredible. At worst, sexual harassment in the work place. It was offensive even if he did not intend it to be. Criminal... give me a break.
2013-04-07 2:56 PM
in reply to: #4689881

User image

Pro

tricrazy - 2013-04-07 7:23 AM So, do you also believe a victim who does not report it was not really raped also?

It's apples and oranges.  A victim has to be offended in order for that pnch to be criminal.....that's an element of the crime...so yeah, we need to know that in regard to what Sagan did.

That's not the case in a rape....a rape just has to be "without consent".....you really can't equate the two in the criminal sense.

Rape is alwas rape no matter if it was reported or not....not the case with the pinch.

I will tell you this.....a rape that is not  reported, or that the victim has no intention of reporting even if someone else knows about it, will NEVER be prosecuted. 

But don't worry all, YOU can still be offended in both cases so the outrage may continue.  Cool

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Peter Sagan....it was just a pinch Rss Feed  

of 17