Ocean Shores
Lake Stevens
Chelanman

2013-04-03 9:58 PM

User image

New user

Seattle (Magnolia)
Subject: Best HIM in WA in July
Trying to figure which one of these 1/2 IM to do? 

2013-04-04 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4685991

Subject: RE: Best HIM in WA in July
Wow, didn't know we even had 3 70.3 events in the PNW! Maybe next year I'll check out the other ones. The only one I signed up for was the LS HIM.
2013-05-14 5:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

^

There are actually more.  This is just July.  There is also Black Diamond, Grand Columbian, and if you like Oregon there is the Rev3 and Leadman.

To dlowe:

I went through the same thing as you...going back and forth.  My final conclusion went to Ocean Shores this year.

I have a wife and 2 kids that come with me.  They really like to vacation out there.  There is also plenty of stuff for the family to stay occupied (even on-course).  We have family there as well.  It is a smaller race, but Tri-Freaks do a great job of making their races into a family-like atmosphere.  The race course occupies a fairly large amount of the city, but spectators are not locked in to any place.  There is still plenty of roads for fans to travel and see people on-course.

....Plus, I volunteered with an event last year and got a 25% discount on the race.  :D

I would love to do Lake Stevens, but it would mean waking the whole family up at 4:30 and leave them trying to figure out how to stay busy in Lake Stevens for 6 hours, and not having much on-course opportunity for them.  I would like to do a race this size, however my gut just didn't feel right about it this time.

Chelanman was a close second, but lodging prices seemed really steep and I am afraid that the town will be gridlocked with all of the race traffic And all of the "East-Eastsiders" that plug up that area on the weekends.

I feel like I may be the only one on this forum doing Ocean Shores, but I am OK with that.  I am looking forward to the run on the beach and seeing all of the deer again.

Edited by lifejustice 2013-05-14 5:32 PM
2013-05-15 7:09 PM

New user
Bonney Lake

I am also doing Ocean Shores, then doing Chelan as a team with my wife. I like them both. Chelan is tougher due to heat and hills. However the swim is a lot nicer. I stay in Wenatchee each year for this one. Its a bit of a drive race morning but there is no traffic so its an easy drive. It is a tough choice though. They are all fun. They all have about the same support on the course. Ocean shores you get to run on the beach. Chelan you can run along the lake. Flat bike VS hilly bike. Both are fun.

Lake Stevens is also a good one. The bike is tough, the run is ok and the swim is nice. It is a lot bigger than the other two and not much for the family to do while you race. It is an IM event so the support is good. However its an event. Lots more people, but it is fun.

Edited by edawno 2013-05-15 7:15 PM
2013-05-15 10:08 PM

User image

Regular

I've done Lake Stevens.  Would like to do Chelan Man and Ocean Shores but I thought Ocean Shores was August?  

chelanman is a touch long on the bike course I have heard and also long hills. water is clear though and temps are pretty good. air temps are typically warmer.

lake stevens water was warm. bike course was hilly temps were cool though for the bike and most of the run. I'd do lake stevens again as well.

2013-05-16 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Stevens will have the largest turn out. If you are in Seattle Metro, it is also the easiest to get to. I haven't race Chelanman, but I've heard it is fun. I will be doing Lake Stevens again because I have some unsettled business with that course (ie the 5 hour mark due to some foot problems last year)...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best HIM in WA in July Rss Feed