General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learn me on why training should not be done in Z3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-03 10:18 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI
Subject: Learn me on why training should not be done in Z3

This past off season (aka cross country ski season with no snow for the first half) I did alot of running without my HR monitor and did alot of speed work based on RPE.  Now, when running WITH my HR monitor I'm noticing my 'comfy hard' pace (a pace I can hold for 10+ miles, but would be a bit faster than easy conversation pace) lands me in Z3.  (Last season my 'comfy hard' landed me smack in the middle of Z2.) The result is I have to slow down to get my HR in Z2 and I feel like it's too easy. 

Should I slow down and stay in Z2? Or is it ok to spend time in Z3?  I read somewhere that Z3 is no man's land - nothing is gained by training there...??  Well, ok, but is it hurting me? And would I be gaining 'more' if i was running along all easy peasy feeling in Z2??

(I train for half and full distance IM's if that matters...)

Thanks for the info guys!

2013-04-03 10:27 PM
in reply to: #4686002

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Learn me on why training should not be done in Z3
TriRx - 2013-04-04 3:18 PM

This past off season (aka cross country ski season with no snow for the first half) I did alot of running without my HR monitor and did alot of speed work based on RPE.  Now, when running WITH my HR monitor I'm noticing my 'comfy hard' pace (a pace I can hold for 10+ miles, but would be a bit faster than easy conversation pace) lands me in Z3.  (Last season my 'comfy hard' landed me smack in the middle of Z2.) The result is I have to slow down to get my HR in Z2 and I feel like it's too easy. 

Should I slow down and stay in Z2? Or is it ok to spend time in Z3?  I read somewhere that Z3 is no man's land - nothing is gained by training there...??  Well, ok, but is it hurting me? And would I be gaining 'more' if i was running along all easy peasy feeling in Z2??

(I train for half and full distance IM's if that matters...)

Thanks for the info guys!

I'm no expert...at all.  But I was listening to a podcast and this came up this morning!  Z2 is the fat burning aerobic zone...however Z3 is the anaerobic zone - here you will give your cardiovascular system a real workout.  This trainer recommends both - so intervals I suppose. 

2013-04-03 11:08 PM

User image

Regular

you need to train more in zone2 for the longer distance such as an IM.  I don't like to train that slow either but I am finding myself improving quite a bit and when I do hit zone3 zone4 I can go longer now.

For HIM distance I trained in the upper part of zone 2 just below zone 3 it seems.  

IM training my HR is around 140-150 for zone2 HIM training I was 150-160.  For my HIMs I stayed about 160-165.  Haven't done the IM yet but I figure I will stay 145 at the best I can for it.

2013-04-04 4:03 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
How did you determine your zones? Did you do testing? Have you retested regularly? The idea that zone 3 is a no man's land to be avoided is misleading at best. Training at a variety of intensities, especially during what most people consider base periods, can be very effective. As your target races near, your training should be more specific, so most of your time should be spent at intensities similar to your target race. In the case of IM for the average age grouper, that's going to be zone 2.
2013-04-04 5:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

As you train you improve - that's the point of training - your lactate threshold improves, the max HR (which isn't really absolute max either) moves and so do your zones. And anyway, zones are at best guesstimates - see my reply in other thread of today.

BR

2013-04-04 8:11 AM
in reply to: #4686113

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
TriMyBest - 2013-04-04 6:03 AM

How did you determine your zones? Did you do testing? Have you retested regularly? The idea that zone 3 is a no man's land to be avoided is misleading at best. Training at a variety of intensities, especially during what most people consider base periods, can be very effective. As your target races near, your training should be more specific, so most of your time should be spent at intensities similar to your target race. In the case of IM for the average age grouper, that's going to be zone 2.

x2; here is a useful table for considering training response based on intensity (see table 2):

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/cycling/power-training-level...

Shane

2013-04-04 8:41 AM
in reply to: #4686247

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

gsmacleod - 2013-04-04 8:11 AM
TriMyBest - 2013-04-04 6:03 AM How did you determine your zones? Did you do testing? Have you retested regularly? The idea that zone 3 is a no man's land to be avoided is misleading at best. Training at a variety of intensities, especially during what most people consider base periods, can be very effective. As your target races near, your training should be more specific, so most of your time should be spent at intensities similar to your target race. In the case of IM for the average age grouper, that's going to be zone 2.
x2; here is a useful table for considering training response based on intensity (see table 2): http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/cycling/power-training-level... Shane

I'm not sure if that table corresponds with running as well as cycling?

You don't run in zone 3 often because it is a risk reward thing. Higher risk of injury/more recovery time for limited benefits. If you are going to take those risks, you run zone 4 or 5 which gives greater benefit. Otherwise you run zone 2 which carries almost the same benefits of zone 3, but with easier recovery which allows you to run higher volume.

2013-04-04 8:53 AM
in reply to: #4686128

User image

Extreme Veteran
erik.norgaard - 2013-04-04 5:18 AM

As you train you improve - that's the point of training - your lactate threshold improves, the max HR (which isn't really absolute max either) moves and so do your zones. And anyway, zones are at best guesstimates - see my reply in other thread of today.

BR

I don't see my LT improving.  Last year my LT field test was 180.  This year it is still 180.  However, my pace is much faster.

2013-04-04 8:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Another thing you could consider is looking at zones from a pace standpoint, as well.  Just as power changes on the bike with training, and so our zones change to reflect of what we're currently capable, paces change running.  So, one could reasonably look at zones as describing HR zones and percentages of "max" or as zones of power output (which is pace - or perhaps "grade adjusted pace" if you want to get all pedantic) on the run.

HR is HR, so those zones don't change - you'll just (hopefully) run a bit faster in each with training.  It should not be entirely different than the changes you'd see using pace (from a race or TT), but I found that the two did not completely overlap for me.  My pace shot up over the winter with a heavy run focus - slightly more than if I just looked at pace in a HR zone.

Could also be that I just learned to suffer with a gladder heart. Surprised

Anyway, not a huge difference, but another way to look at it.  Which zone you train in is, as have been said well above, more about the race you're training for.  I'm just commenting on the zones proper...

Good luck!

Matt 

2013-04-04 8:56 AM
in reply to: #4686332

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
GAUG3 - 2013-04-04 8:53 AM

BR

I don't see my LT improving.  Last year my LT field test was 180.  This year it is still 180.  However, my pace is much faster.

that is improvement, the actual HR doesn't move, but the pace you can maintain at that HR changes.

2013-04-04 9:02 AM
in reply to: #4686303

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
dmiller5 - 2013-04-04 10:41 AM

I'm not sure if that table corresponds with running as well as cycling?

It does.

You don't run in zone 3 often because it is a risk reward thing. Higher risk of injury/more recovery time for limited benefits. If you are going to take those risks, you run zone 4 or 5 which gives greater benefit. Otherwise you run zone 2 which carries almost the same benefits of zone 3, but with easier recovery which allows you to run higher volume.

Depends on the event - 5 and 10k - skip zone 3 and run as you said. Half marathon or marathon - very likely some zone 3 will be very useful for most athletes.

Shane

2013-04-04 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4686342

User image

Extreme Veteran
dmiller5 - 2013-04-04 8:56 AM

BR

that is improvement, the actual HR doesn't move, but the pace you can maintain at that HR changes.

I agree that it's an improvement.  However, will the LT eventually shift like he said?  I'm assuming it will one day as I get older.

2013-04-04 9:09 AM
in reply to: #4686353

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

gsmacleod - 2013-04-04 9:02 AM
dmiller5 - 2013-04-04 10:41 AM I'm not sure if that table corresponds with running as well as cycling?
It does.
Depends on the event - 5 and 10k - skip zone 3 and run as you said. Half marathon or marathon - very likely some zone 3 will be very useful for most athletes. Shane

That is a good point, and it is also important to note that the whole thing is a sliding scale, not distinct zones. the very top of zone 2 is pretty much equivalent to the very bottom of zone 3.

2013-04-04 9:13 AM
in reply to: #4686357

Master
Northern IL
GAUG3 - 2013-04-04 9:03 AM
dmiller5 - 2013-04-04 8:56 AM

BR

I agree that it's an improvement.  However, will the LT eventually shift like he said?  I'm assuming it will one day as I get older.

Going from untrained to some regular training, yes, it can move a bit. Then it will be rather steady. It may lower as one gets older (even with continued training), but this tends to be rather gradual over a long time.

2013-04-04 9:19 AM

For HIM, I train most of the time in Z3. Z4 is race pace or slighter faster and Z5 is anaerobic. Z3 is a great place to train for the HIM for me, both on the run and bike.

From doing all this Z3 training, I'm faster than ever in the bike and run, so clearly it's not as bad as it's bad out to be.

I think some people confuse this stay away from Z3 idea from confusing IM or pure marathon training with shorter distances. If you're truly in Z3, it gets harder to put up big miles in training without overdoing it (like a 100 mile bike ride or 24 mile training run), so you necessarily have to do more Z2 work for those long races to get the volume in.

2013-04-04 9:21 AM
in reply to: #4686395

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
yazmaster - 2013-04-04 9:19 AM

For HIM, I train most of the time in Z3. Z4 is race pace or slighter faster and Z5 is anaerobic. Z3 is a great place to train for the HIM for me, both on the run and bike.

From doing all this Z3 training, I'm faster than ever in the bike and run, so clearly it's not as bad as it's bad out to be.

I think some people confuse this stay away from Z3 idea from confusing IM or pure marathon training with shorter distances. If you're truly in Z3, it gets harder to put up big miles in training without overdoing it (like a 100 mile bike ride or 24 mile training run), so you necessarily have to do more Z2 work for those long races to get the volume in.

The other part of it is if i'm running 40 mpw it becomes much more difficult to do 34 miles of zone 3 work and 6 miles of zone 4/5 work than it is to do 34 miles of zone 2 work and 6 miles of zone 4/5 work. More likely to get hurt and more likely to compromise my threshold and speed work. Now as shane mentioned this may not apply at all to marathon training as you probably arent doing much speed work.

2013-04-04 9:22 AM
in reply to: #4686128

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
erik.norgaard - 2013-04-04 6:18 AM

BR

This is mostly it, but your max really won't change if you calculate it correctly. It's called max for a reason. If your max is moving, it's your own error for not pushing hard enough in your testing. But your heart really does have a max rate at which it can beat. And it'll decrease as you age.

Your resting heart rate WILL change (lower) as your fitness improves. This gives you a new "Heart Rate Reserve" number (your fixed max minus your resting rate). The most effective way to calculate your zones is to use that HRR number.

From there, it's important to think differently than most of us have been taught to think.

Simply stated, the more time you spend in your Z2 zone, the more efficient (faster) you'll get within that zone. This is flipped from how we usually train. Normally, we want to have a certain pace feel more manageable, so we run that pace more often and hope our heart will catch up. That won't work as quickly (and you'll be more prone to injury in the process) as letting the paces come to your zone will.

1. Properly test for your max and your lactate heart rates. A number of field tests exist, or you can pay somebody to get really scientific about it.

2. Give yourself 4 weeks. Don't let yourself run anything that pulls you out of your Z2.  Regardless of how slow you feel when you start, even if you have to walk, keep yourself in Z2. If you stray into Z3, you're moving closer to an anaerobic workout and you've stopped training your heart to become more efficient at its aerobic capacity. There's nothing wrong with that, per se. It's still training gains. But you'll be best served by improving your aerobic zone. Frankly, your anaerobic zones see results pretty quickly. This is where the "train mostly slow, sometimes fast" mantra comes from. You don't need as much training in the Z3 or Z4 range as you do in the Z2 range. That's good, as it puts more strain on your muscular system and the injuries start showing up quicker if you do too much in your anaerobic zones.

3. Within a relatively short amount of time, you'll see your paces increasing within that zone. You'll also notice that you can run for longer periods of time within that zone and at those improved paces.

Then ... when you need to really fire the burners (for a 5k or 10k, for instance), you'll have a lot more power for those shorter distance races.  

2013-04-04 9:28 AM
in reply to: #4686395

Master
Northern IL
yazmaster - 2013-04-04 9:19 AM

What scale are you using that has Z5 at anaerobic and Z4 as race effort for a HIM?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learn me on why training should not be done in Z3 Rss Feed