General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon Website (online shopping) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-04 7:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
Subject: Triathlon Website (online shopping)

Hi Everyone,

I have mentioned in a few other threads I am in the market for a Tri bike. My LBS has a pretty wide range of tri bikes but they also match prices (even online prices).  Let me know if you have a website that you use a lot that may have cheaper rides online.

2013-04-04 7:48 AM
in reply to: #4686207

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Triathlon Website (online shopping)

trisports.com

racycles.com

competitivecyclist.com

nytro.com

2013-04-04 8:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
Thanks, much appriciated!!
2013-04-04 8:06 AM

User image

Regular
Not to stir the pot (really), but how is this different from shopping at my local store to get info and then buying it online?  At the end of the day, we are all looking for the lowest price, which is why people buy online.
2013-04-04 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4686239

User image

hessma - 2013-04-04 9:06 AM Not to stir the pot (really), but how is this different from shopping at my local store to get info and then buying it online?  At the end of the day, we are all looking for the lowest price, which is why people buy online.

It seems very different to me.  I am not sure which side you see as being taken advantage of but:

If you feel the website is being taken advantage of by using their pricing at your LBS, I don't really see that as being an issue because you aren't using the online company's resources.  Ok, a hit on their website, but its not like going into the LBS and using a lot of an employee's time.

If you feel its not fair to the LBS to have to price match an online retailer they are still getting a sale and hopefully making some profit on the sale.

My problem/hangup comes in walking into a local store, using employee's time or to a lesser extent playing with their physical inventory and then ordering the same thing from the internet.  I typically try very hard not to do that. 

2013-04-04 8:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati

I can see both sides of the of the story.. I have been going to the same LBS for a while now, I have become good friends with a lot of the guys up there.. Yes, there are other bike shops closer to me, but I like the service I get from this place and they never make you feel like you have a stupid question. The shop is part of a country wide chain, and the guys that work there even said check a few bikes out online and see if you can find it cheaper. I was buying some new components for my road bike and they even said "hey, check Nashbar out, they have this chain for way cheaper". If I do buy something online, i always go back to these guys for the assembly.

They do not run off commission so they are not trying to push you to buy something every time i walk in there. If I do find a ride online for cheaper than what the LBS is offering, it’s a win-win situation.. I get the bike for cheaper and they still get the sale, the fit, and the returning business.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon Website (online shopping) Rss Feed