General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Key Biscayne triathlon Trilogy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-06 4:02 PM

Subject: Key Biscayne triathlon Trilogy

Seems like a good series of Sprint and International races that (judging by the results) are well-attended.  Surprisingly very little mention of these on BT at all.....is there a reason?

They have Sprint/Intl. races in May-Sept., one per month.  Wish the Intl. swim was longer like a true Oly, but that's OK.  I just wonder why there's hardly a mention of these her.

Dan

2013-04-06 11:57 PM
in reply to: #4689494

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
Subject: RE: Key Biscayne triathlon Trilogy

dan--this will be my 3rd year doing MultiRace.com races at Key Biscayne / Tradewinds / C.B.Smith and I love their races.  I do not know why others here do not post their races here on BT.  I have started posting their races starting just last year.  The Key Biscayne Triology is at a different location this year, so we will see how that goes very soon.  I do every race that Multirace puts on here in Miami, Key West and Ft. Lauderdale. (I don't like to travel further away from home as it's too expensive for me).  Their races are well run, you will know your race result before your sweat from the run dries and you can eat all you want.  Come join us.  :-)

2013-04-08 8:53 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
I've done lots of the multirace races. They are great races. However, I haven't done any in the last year or so because I got tired of racing at the same venue. Now that the key biscayne races have been moved, I might have to try them out again!
2013-04-17 7:44 PM

User image

New user
Central Florida

I was looking at the Key Biscayne International distance for Sept. I have run half marathons with Multirace, and was extremely happy. As for a race group, they seem to be one of the best. I am glad to hear that they are good for tris, too. 

I know there is a problem with one of the bridges down in Miami, which has caused the Key Biscayne half mary. My first question is has anybody done the new route for the tri? Also, how's the current and swim? 

2013-04-19 9:34 PM
in reply to: #4704778

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam

Running FF--There have been no MultiRace races at the new venue on Virginia Key yet.  The first MultiRace tri at Virginia Key is 5/5/13. Please to look at the MultiRace website for that date race to view the swim/ride/run course for the sprint and oly.  I train at Virginia Key and Key Biscayne several times a week.  The swim is ocean side, not Key Biscayne. The swim is very shallow with no wave break but there could be wind driven waves/chop if the winds are high from the north or east or even south on race morning.  From my freediving experience at Virginia Key, you have to be 200-300yards off shore to be in any real ocean type wave action due to the shallowness of the water closer to shore. I have never experienced much current at the swim site.  If you could google satalite view of that area you would see that the swim site does not experience much if any current due to the swim site location.

Hope this helps and let me know if I can help further

2013-04-20 11:19 AM

New user

I love multirace.  Last year's June event was my first tri (and I did it as a relay) and I ended up doing all 4 (It's called the trilogy, there are 4 -- it's a Miami thing).  I love that they are in the same venue because you can compare your times and see your improvement.  They give you a print out of your time right after you finish -- incredibly well organized.  LOVE THEM.  \

That said, the new venue will debut on 5 May and should be a huge improvement for the swim into transition.  I'm not as excited about the multi-loop bike route, but it is completely out of their hands and I'm glad it's on the Key.  When the bridge opens up one day they may be able to get back out onto the main road again.  The run may be on sand a little bit too, which I don't like -- but that's a me thing.    

Packet pickup is usually the day before (and sometimes for a couple days) at Mack Cycle in South Miami.  I can't recall if you can register the day of.  

2013-04-20 9:22 PM
in reply to: #4707899

User image

New user
Central Florida
Thanks Spearit. I will look for some race reports with the May race. I was looking at the international distance in September, so it provides me a bit of time to figure everything out. Thanks again!
2013-04-25 2:12 PM
in reply to: #4707899

Just looking at Google maps satellite view of the bike course. Are those speed humps on the road?

2013-04-25 3:08 PM
in reply to: #4715097

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam

Yep, speed bumpsYell

And 3  180 degree turns per bike lap lap Surprised

Me an MaryLotus just got back from doing a bike practice on that course, (4-25-13). Two days ago we did the 3mile run loop and we have swam the swim course many times in the past. Let me know if I can provide any further information about this race venue

2013-04-25 5:21 PM
in reply to: #4715210

Crap, I might transfer to a different race. The only thing that's near that date is the sprint over at Tradewinds Park in Coconut Creek. So now I have to choose between the murky water swim at Tradewinds or the 4 loop course with speed bumps in Virginia Key
2013-04-25 7:12 PM
in reply to: #4715368

New user

I did the Thanksgiving Day race at Tradewinds Park last November. I enjoyed it and the lake swim wasn't that bad. I can't make myself sign up for 4 loops at Virginia Key.

2013-04-26 8:02 PM
in reply to: #4715483

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam

I'll be doin both those races. 

1. Virginia Key race is going to be a beautiful run and swim. The bike is just going to be a more little technical than some may be used to.

2. Tradewinds race is a nice run on a paved path and a nice closed circute bike ride.  I like the swim as it is a nice straight point to point swim that exits right at transition. I just wish Tradewinds had an Oly option

I love doing MultiRace races.

2013-05-04 12:30 PM

User image

New user

Orlando

I love the multirace races too.  Been doing them for 3 years now.  Battle at Ft. Desoto is my favorite, though I'm bummed they are not USAT sanctioned this year (the Ft. DeSoto races that is).

2013-05-05 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4727204

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
I did the Oly race today at Virginia Key. Weather was perfect. Sea was near flat with great viz, light wind for the bike but the run was very sandy and more like a beach/trail run than I have ever done. I won my 60-64M AG so I was very happy. Hope others had as good a day at this race as I did.
2013-05-06 5:17 AM
in reply to: #4728423

I just posted my race report.

Good race!!! I placed 4th in my AG, so I missed the podium, but I had a great morning.  I cannot figure out why my swim was so slow, though.  I felt great doing it and the swim is usually tied with the bike for my strongest events (I'm not a runner), but my time says I had a below-average swim.

Race report is here:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=487051&posts=1&start=1

2013-05-06 7:13 AM
in reply to: #4728423

User image

Master
Orlando
spearit - 2013-05-05 8:53 PMI did the Oly race today at Virginia Key. Weather was perfect. Sea was near flat with great viz, light wind for the bike but the run was very sandy and more like a beach/trail run than I have ever done. I won my 60-64M AG so I was very happy. Hope others had as good a day at this race as I did.
Congrats ! I did the sprint. I agree it was a great day for racing. Loved the swim and run ( other then the beach run) and the bike was fast even with all the turns and speed bumps.

Edited by amd723 2013-05-06 7:14 AM

2013-06-10 3:07 PM
in reply to: 0

Well, I'm glad I decided to race because I got my first AG win yesterday at Virginia Key for the International.
The swim was shortened and they reversed the course (swam North) so it was pretty much a 0.25 mi swim with a short run to transition (included in the swim time) The swim was smooth with not much chop really and good visibility.
I was a little apprehensive about the bike course but it wasn't that bad in the end - speed bumps were not that bad - although I did see a bunch a people just fly over them in the aero bars which is probably not too smart It did get a little crowded at the end of the 3rd loop but not too much.
The run however was pretty challenging, 2 loops, hot and humid as you might expect and mostly a trail run with about 3/4 miles on sand - not funny!!! All in all a good race and another very well organized Multirace tri.

Originally posted by sp1ke

Crap, I might transfer to a different race. The only thing that's near that date is the sprint over at Tradewinds Park in Coconut Creek. So now I have to choose between the murky water swim at Tradewinds or the 4 loop course with speed bumps in Virginia Key

Edited by sp1ke 2013-06-10 3:10 PM
2013-06-14 3:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Central Florida
Originally posted by triathlontom

I love the multirace races too.  Been doing them for 3 years now.  Battle at Ft. Desoto is my favorite, though I'm bummed they are not USAT sanctioned this year (the Ft. DeSoto races that is).

Hi Tom:

I remember seeing this post earlier, and having a friend that wants to take a shot at the Fort Desoto Sprint, I started looking it as a possibility for my Sept race. I know there was an e-mail from Multirace about their involvement with USAT. It was my belief that all Multirace would continue to be sanctioned by USAT. I had some business to conduct with Multirace today, so I brought up this question. As per Mr. Savoie, all Multirace triathlons will be USAT sanctioned. Just wanted to pass this information on.

Edited by Running_FF 2013-06-14 3:50 PM
2013-06-14 3:52 PM
in reply to: Reneerunner

New user

I did the international at Virginia Key. The race was convenient and a lot of friends were doing it. That said, it was a little brutal with the loops and u-turns and trail run....

I'll probably do the July one too. I'm a glutton for punishment.
2013-06-21 10:46 AM
in reply to: Reneerunner

I did the one in key Biscayne earlier this month. It seemed well organized. It would be much nicer for the ride to be down the causeway vs inside Virginia beach.
2013-06-21 2:14 PM
in reply to: wuaname

Originally posted by wuaname

I did the one in key Biscayne earlier this month. It seemed well organized. It would be much nicer for the ride to be down the causeway vs inside Virginia beach.

They used to race on the causeway, but currently the city isn't issuing permits for this. Multirace had to decide whether or not to scrap the series entirely or make do w/ a course on the island. I'm OK w/ the revised course, it affects everyone the same. I got 2nd in the bike split for my AG (3rd place AG), so maybe I'm just good at cornering/accelerating!

2013-06-21 2:14 PM
in reply to: wuaname

Originally posted by wuaname

They used to race on the causeway, but currently the city isn't issuing permits for this. Multirace had to decide whether or not to scrap the series entirely or make do w/ a course on the island. I'm OK w/ the revised course, it affects everyone the same. I got 2nd in the bike split for my AG (3rd place AG), so maybe I'm just good at cornering/accelerating!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Key Biscayne triathlon Trilogy Rss Feed