Event warmup:

I don't think I ever got warm.
Bike
  • 10h 00m
  • 120 miles
  • 12.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Squaw Pass:
This was my first Triple bypass. I broke three spokes going over squaw pass and had to ride down the other side with a wobbly wheel. This made the descent very squirly at speeds over 15 mph. I about burned through my brakes trying to keep my speed this low.

Idaho Springs
I found a bike shop with a set of new wheels in Idaho springs, after about an hour I was back on the road making good time to Georgetown. I heard a lot of chatter about people deciding to call it quits, There was no going back now after I just dropped $200 on a new set of wheels

Georgetown:
The rain was coming down pretty hard and it was bitter cold. I got lucky and found an outdoor clothing store that sold me a pair of Rain pants for $20. I made my way up Loveland in the cold and rainy weather. The leg seemed like it would never end, the worst section was the I70 route from Bakerville to Loveland, I swear I think some of those Semi trucks were purposely cutting it close.

Loveland: (Duct tape rules!!)
Duct tape rules!!
After eating about four turkey sandwiches, I found a garbage bag and a roll of duct tape, and proceeded to make some weatherproof socks, and a makeshift belt for my garbage bag poncho. I knew I would be styling for the summit photographer.

Strangest thing on the way up to Loveland Pass:
On the way up the pass I noticed this lady about 100 yards in front of me stop, she then proceeded to take off her shorts and pop a squat 3 feet from the side of the road. I thought about offering her my garbage bag poncho for privacy, but came to my senses knowing I was going to need it for the descent into Keystone.

Loveland Pass descent
This was the scariest descent I’ve ever done, a real white knuckle thrill ride. It was pouring rain and I didn’t have any glasses. My brakes were about worn through, and that white shoulder line was slick. To top it off there were a lot of A-holes driving like maniacs. There were cars trying to pass other cars that were slowing down for the bikers, It’s not as if most bikers were going that slow to begin with. Swan Mountain road was a little bit of a surprise, I didn’t expect that much of a climb.

Breckenridge to Vail Pass: (It stopped raining!!!!)
This was a nice ride all the way up to Vail pass, except for those damn beavers that kept crossing in front of me. Very nice section, lots of wildflowers and a lot of solitude. Not a lot of riders left.

Vail Pass (Final descent)
All I can say is, oh yeah. This was the best part of the ride, fast and dry. That descent on the bike path was like a roller coaster ride with dips and turns at every corner. I got my 2nd or was it my 6th wind for the final leg through Vail and into Avon.

I don’t think I will ever forget this ride. I would recommend it to anyone; however I would not recommend doing it in those rainy conditions.
What would you do differently?:

Bring rain gear
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

rain gear, eye wear with wipers, anti lock brakes

Event comments:

Team Evergreen did a great job at the aid stations, and with a great attitude

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-07-09 12:00 AM
Biking
10:00:00 | 120 miles | 12.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/3500
Performance: Good
Average HR 140bpm Max HR 171 bpm
Wind: Little
Course: Wet, cold and unforgiving.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-09 2:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO
Subject: Triple Bipass Ride

2006-07-09 5:35 PM
in reply to: #477038

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: RE: Triple Bipass Ride
Nice report! Very funny... people are gross (ref: Squat Lady)... Way to hang tough andnd stick it out... you were one of the few!
2006-07-09 5:55 PM
in reply to: #477038

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Subject: RE: Triple Bipass Ride
Wow! I thought I spent a lot of money, when I bought $70 worth of clothes in Dumont. $200 for new wheels, that's tough! Great job on sticking with it and finishing! I agree with you about that on I-70 some drivers were ridiculous!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triple Bipass Ride Rss Feed