General Discussion Race Reports! » Barfoot and Thompson World Triathlon Olympic Age Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Barfoot and Thompson World Triathlon Olympic Age Group - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Auckland, Auckland
New Zealand
19C / 66F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 40m 44s
Overall Rank = 150/196
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 30/33
Pre-race routine:

I entered this event back in January. After my 70.3. Since then I was sort of in middle of giving it all up.

Since I had paid the entry I started some minimal training a couple of weeks ago after a 5 week break. Once a day sort of stuff and didn't really feel that fit.

I had the attitude that I’ll do this race for fun, it's a great way to finish off year and triathlon. Also no computers and stop watches.

The day off the race, had a different breakfast , carb bar and muesli. I had gotten up early , and all I had to do was grab my bag that I packed before and drive to the venue.

Set up transition, same stuff, the weather was going to be good so I didn't need much equipment. Visor and sun glasses was the only extra stuff.

Walked around for a bit, dropped bag at drop off.

Got into my wet suit about 15 minutes before the start.

Event warmup:

Quick run in the wet suit.
Swim
  • 28m 54s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

The start was deep water , holding on to the pontoon. I was really calm before the start as I thought to myself this is going to be my last tri , and just enjoy the day.

Start hooter went off and I swan really well for the first 200 meters getting a head of a few people. Sited well to the first buoy.

I slowed my pace a little after 500 , as I was breathing quit hard. The funny bit was I felt quick in the water and seem to have a really good rhythm. I was also kicking a lot harder than I normally would. But I didn’t slow my pace as much as I normally would.

The first turn was a left, to the next buoy. I sited well and really didn't drop pace. Then it was a right , followed by another right. After this turn a got a little bit lost ( followed another swimmer). Up to the next buoy which was a right again.

This all carried on until the last turn where I had good rhythm , was high in the water and good rotation and felt fast most of the time.

I had a small amount of trouble siteing the ramp for the exit , but did find the closer I got. Man the water smelt really bad near the end , by the wharf.

This was really good swim , and a PB for 1500 by about a 1 min.

This was not expected as I haven't really trained, and previous swims have been a disaster.

I think it was because I was so relaxed.

I felt a bit dizzy getting out of the water, thank god for the catchers.

What would you do differently?:

Not a lot , site a bit better.
Transition 1
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

mmm, worst transtion ever, wet suit got suck on my hand and heels. Felt dizzy out of the water. Struggled to find bike. Wasn't overally fussed as I didn't have a lot of urgency. Looked at my watch and realised that I had actually , maybe had a really good swim split (surpised).
Bike
  • 1h 13m 37s
  • 40 kms
  • 32.60 km/hr
Comments:

Struggled to get into shoes and nearly hit the spectator fence, OMG.

Started out with the hilly section, to be honest I really enjoy climbing on the bike and I passed a lot of people on the hills on each lap. The course , at the start of the lap had a few down hills into right angle corners, favoured the brave.

Had a long downhill on the water front which was flat, out and back.

After the first lap , I actually started ride really well and was getting quicker. Was going a bit faster than I normally would but thought , if I blow up I blow up.

Highlight was riding around the inner city where the Elites had ridden the day before. All the banners and full course set up was still up so it was a cool course to ride on.

Really surprised by the split. Was aiming for 1:25, thought it was 1:20 at a guess. Ended up 1:13 wow.

Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Lost place on rack. did the up and down the rack with the bike, looking for my stuff. Not a good transition.
Run
  • 52m 53s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 17s  min/km
Comments:

Started out faster than I should have , was breathing reasonably hard. At this point I would normally slow down. I thought, well it's your last race, you are not really hurting so let’s see how long you last.

To be honest I wasn't really thinking about running , times etc. My mind was blank most of the time. On occasion I would adjust my form and run a bit taller.

Saw a couple of people I knew on the course.

About 4 km from the end I felt this massive Endorphin rush which has only happened once before in a race.

My pace seemed to stay the same. Near the end I passed someone in my age grouped , then about 1 km from the end he passed me back and couldn't keep out with him.

It was the best that I have run for a long time. Again really surprised as I hadn't really trained, and hadn't run 10 km for a while.

I actually really enjoyed the run

Post race
Warm down:

Ice cream, water and a bananna in the recovery area.

My mum and sister had come down to watch. First time that have seen a triathlon and they were amazed. I don't think that I had any idea what I did.

Spoke to my friend who had finshed 4th in his age group, and how he had had a bike issue that cost him 5 min.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bit more training , but that was not the point. I was really doing this race for reasons other times times.

Event comments:

This was one of the bet races that I've had, I really enjoyed it amd performed really well. Maybe because I was relaxed , didn't worry about the times. etc.

I will also always remember this race because it kept me in triathlon.

6 weeks ago i was struggling for motivation during an easy group ride.

I'm glad that I did it, and had that experience . I think I showed me what tris mean to me and how it fits into my life.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-01-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:54 | 1500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 28/33
Overall: 154/196
Performance:
Suit: Yes
Course: Single lap , inside on the habour.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:16
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:13:37 | 40 kms | 32.60 km/hr
Age Group: 27/33
Overall: 118/196
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: four lap course, hilly section followed by a dead flat part.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:52:53 | 10 kms | 05m 17s  min/km
Age Group: 28/33
Overall: 163/196
Performance: Good
Course: 2 lap course , using parts of the 70.3 course. Flat as a pan cake.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-04-08 4:03 AM

User image

Auckland , New Zealand
Subject: Barfoot and Thompson World Triathlon Olympic Age Group

2013-04-13 7:30 PM
in reply to: #4690818

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Barfoot and Thompson World Triathlon Olympic Age Group

Congratulations on the race. It's always nice to look at the watch and have a nice surprise with your time.

And welcome back to the sport!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Barfoot and Thompson World Triathlon Olympic Age Group Rss Feed