HFP Racing
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 03m 50s
Overall Rank = 245/628
Age Group = F4XL 0-99
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was Laura's first race, so I didn't spend as much time setting up as I normally would have as I was also focused on talking her through setup and the race.
Event warmup:

1/2 hr of yoga at home to stretch
Swim
  • 21m 47s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

Improvements over the last race: Well, I didn't turn it into a cross country!!! Did a good job of staying with the rest of the pack and hit each of the buoys just as I should. I still haven't gotten the hang of being aggressive... I back off when there's someone in front of me or when I accidently kick someone. Think I could come in closer to 18 or 19 minutes and so will do better next time.
What would you do differently?:

I'm going to try starting in front next time and keep my stroke strong through the first buoy. The problem being in the back of the pack is that just before the final round, the guys from the next wave catch up and there's not a 115 pounder in the whole lot! They have no problem swimming right over you, which of course slows you down (that whole needing air to breathe and all...). All in all I was pretty happy with the progress I'm making and most importantly AM STILL HAVING FUN!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

I don't clip my shoes onto the bike before I get in them, but this time I think the morning yoga helped because I was much less stiff out of the run.

Pay attention to the course out of the transition area. Oh I'm sure I was the ONLY person who didn't make that first right turn and just blew right into the adjoining parking lot till it became broken pavement/gravel and I got a clue...
Bike
  • 53m 49s
  • 22 kms
  • 24.53 km/hr
Comments:

I mentioned this was Laura's first race? Oddly enough, we both exited T1 about the same time (see photo) which was cool, but I was looking down at my feet when it came to that first 90 degree right turn out of the parking lot...cost me a minute or two probably. And enough time for her to get a lead on me. At about mile 4 (across from the Park Maintenance office)I see her sitting on the side of the road. Her chain had come off. I stopped and talked her through getting it back on the bike and we head off again. Probably lost another 4 minutes as I didn't want to disqualify either of us by helping (touching/doing/whatever) other than to talk her through... my fault. Bad mom. Guess I forgot that part of the training. I stayed with her till we climbed the hill after crossing the dam ... she said she was okay, so I took off. That was the hardest part of the race...leaving my kid behind to do her own thing. I'm so proud of her.

Practice fixing flats with Laura in preparation for her next race. And work on my hills. I hear that East Fork is not flat!!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

My bike shoes are sort of a slipper type -- good shoes, but hard to get in and out of, so I put them on in the transition area and then run with my bike to the gate, then mount.

Are straps better? Maybe try another type of shoe next year. My transition times are improving though and this race, I didn't bring a lot of stuff I didn't need.
Run
  • 42m 49s
  • 5 kms
  • 08m 34s  min/km
Comments:

I can do a 30 minute 5K. I just need to find a way to do a 30 minute 5K after a 750M swim and 22M bike ride. How hard can that be? I started the run at a strong even pace... then I hit the gravel and grass. The course was no surprise as I live in Lebanon and know the lake well. And I ran this race last year. I see the gravel and grass though and my mind says "ooooh... hard" (my mind having a very limited vocabulary after said 750M swim and 22M bike ride).

Get over it. I need to tell myself that a run is a run and stop analyzing environmental varibles and architecting solutions (I'm an engineer... ).
Post race
Warm down:

Head for the watermellon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stopped to help Laura... that's not a limitation though. I was pretty happy with my times though because had I not stopped, I would have hit my goal of 2 hours for this race. Knowing that, look out Buckeye Lake!!

Event comments:

This was a SPECIAL race because my 21 year old daughter, Laura, ran the sprint du -- it was her first race. So while I'll put stuff about me here too, I wanted to brag about my kid. She works for Jeff at On The Run in Lebanon (Which is right next door to Wheelie Fun -- our favorite bike store!!). If you're in the store...tell her she kicks b***. Thanks again to Shannon and HFP and the sponsors for helping us keep healthy and keep smiling!!!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:47 | 750 meters | 02m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/
Overall: 222/628
Performance: Good
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: Long rectangular course in shallow water... could have been included as part of the run (which quite a few swimmers did by the way).
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:53:49 | 22 kms | 24.53 km/hr
Overall: 241/628
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Nice (basically) rectangular course over small hills -- scenic. The only part there was any traffic was on SR 73 and that was managable.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 75
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:42:49 | 05 kms | 08m 34s  min/km
Overall: 246/628
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly gravel and grass (not my favorite) with slight inclines.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-09 3:18 PM

User image

New user

Lebanon, OH -- Home to Wheelie Fun & On the Run!!!
Subject: Caesar Creek Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed