Ocean State Multi-Sport
43F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 19m 57s
Overall Rank = 4/108
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

Typical pre-race breakfast of croissant & iced coffee, although I need to have that earlier. I've eaten a bit late before my last two races, and I've felt a bit sloshy. Got to keep an eye on that.
Event warmup:

Ran a very easy mile, then did a good bout of dynamic warmups: high knees, butt kicks, Frankensteins, etc. Then, just a little bit of static stretching, not pulling too hard. Finally, at the start line, the inevitable bouncing.
Run
  • 19m 57s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I was able to keep a pretty good pace, although I did falter a bit in the last mile, uphill. I felt good about holding my pace, even as a teenager used me as a pace bunny for a while, then went out ahead. I caught him at the start of the incline, and was able to drop him with about half a mile to go. I didn't chase, just maintained my pace and he couldn't hold it.
What would you do differently?:

Same as it ever was: I need to spend more time on hills. I'm in the process of "doing it differently," having recently joined our training club for weekly hill workouts in addition to the weekly track ones. The hill workouts suck so vastly much that I trust they'll pay off later. Damned well better.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around quite a bit, occasionally grabbing a bit of banana or orange. Did some more stretching, this time a bit more intense. That always feels good after a run, especially a hard one like this.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was hampered only by my inability to run faster. Between the track and hill workouts, continued strength training, and multi-sport, I think I have some improvements to make before I start dropping off.

Event comments:

After years -- decades, really -- of being a couch potato, I started running in September 2006. Since that time, one of my far-off goals has been to break 20:00 in a 5K. 6.5 years later, I finally did that yesterday. Who knows how much faster I can get, but that was a really good hard run. I put it all out there, and almost hurled at the finish line. But didn't, which was nice. That was probably about as much as I could give, and it felt great. Next stop: 19:00!

Last updated: 2013-02-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:57 | 03.11 miles | 06m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 1/108
Performance: Good
If I can't find my HRM strap, I'm going to have to shell out for another one. Which would suck.
Course: I've done this course before. It's primarily out & back with a small loop at the end, presumably to get the full distance. It's a bit tough, only because the out part is a slight decline ... meaning the back is that same slope, only on the incline.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-04-08 8:30 AM

Veteran
Subject: Francis Farm 5K

2013-04-08 8:30 AM
in reply to: #4691030

Veteran
Subject: RE: Francis Farm 5K
Oh, yeah: it was a 25 second PR, too. Whoop!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Francis Farm 5K Rss Feed