General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pro appearance fees? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-08 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: Pro appearance fees?
I follow Macca on Twitter, and he's been in the US the past week+ doing various things. This past weekend, he did a couple local LA area sprint tri's (won both, shocker! ). Made me wonder if he gets appearance fees for showing up/racing in these type events? I would think he likely does (it *is* his job, afterall), but curious is any RD's out there have some insight to this. With someone like Macca, I'd think the RD would need semi-deep pockets to get this to happen, no?  

2013-04-08 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4691177

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: RE: Pro appearance fees?
My guess would be one of his sponsors was also sponsoring the event and had him show up?
2013-04-08 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

This is one of the huge flaws in triathlon, and a major problem IMO. Many of the major races WTC, REV 3, Alcatraz etc. Pay the top pros appearance fees (I have not idea what the value is) and then they payout to the top 5-10, and guess who is winning those purses? Many B level pro's struggle to earn an income racing because they don't get appearance fees and get beat by the higher level pros. 

Last year at IMWI (usually a race full of B level pros) Ben Hoffman was paid by WTC to race, and then won the 3k purse. Not much for him probably but that could elevate or sustain the life of 2-10th pros.

2013-04-08 1:47 PM

It's not just triathlon, it's a lot of major endurance events.

Most of the top pro runners who race the NYC marathon get paid fees in the range of $50-100k just to show up. It has been this way for years.

The estimate for having the Olympic marathon champion race your marathon in the year after his/her marathon win is about $100k. This does not even include the prize purse, which is paid out separately and on top of that.

Celebrity costs. Having Macca show up and race all-out at your event greatly raises the awareness and stature of your race. The fees are surely lower in triathlon, partly due to the lower # of participants and the shorter history, but they're still there.

2013-04-08 10:44 PM
in reply to: #4691731

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Why do you think the bulk of the talent in the sport races ITU? Deeper prize money and support from your national federwtion.
2013-04-08 10:51 PM

User image

Los Angeles
I was at the event yesterday, Tri Events at Bonelli Park.  I do not know if Macca was paid anything but he has been to this event before.   He takes the time to talk to anyone who comes to him, signs autographs, and takes pictures with anyone who asks.  As much as people say he is a cocky person, he is one down to earth professional triathlete.  It was great seeing him and how to interacts with the triathlon world.  He is a great ambassador to the sport of triathlon.  That is my take on him.  

2013-04-08 11:06 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
I have never been privy to the accounting of these events behind the scenes. But my non-accountant instincts tell me there's an obvious issue for the growth of triathlon. You simply cannot put on a race with nearly as many people as a running race. There will never be a triathlon with 10,000 people in it. Nor even 5,000. That's why I will be surprised of the TriRock series survives as an offshoot of the Rock and Roll marathon series, much as I have enjoyed it. But look at how we've complained about the high cost of that series. Ok, but they sell out a number of the venues to full capacity. The margin on making money on the race has to be tight. Compare that to the RnR marathons, which appear to this layman as a license to print money.

Interesting that it has been shown that the ITU pays better. That's not a race that a BOP person can just sign up for. It more resembles a professional athletic competition than even (in many people's minds) something like Kona, which embodies the value of the average joe on course with the pros. That's great, and I enjoy it, but for a field of 2000 or under, they can't make a lot of money on that. Not compared to a marathon anyway.

Or am I assuming economics that I know nothing of here?

Edited by TheClaaaw 2013-04-08 11:07 PM

2013-04-08 11:30 PM

User image

Elite

Mike_D - 2013-04-09 2:35 AM I follow Macca on Twitter, and he's been in the US the past week+ doing various things. This past weekend, he did a couple local LA area sprint tri's (won both, shocker! ). Made me wonder if he gets appearance fees for showing up/racing in these type events? I would think he likely does (it *is* his job, afterall), but curious is any RD's out there have some insight to this. With someone like Macca, I'd think the RD would need semi-deep pockets to get this to happen, no?  

It is a part of the 'sponsorship' deal.  He was in the states for his birthday in Vegas and his agent etc is in LA and he did an interview on Rich Roll's podcast. 

Also some major news to be announced - probably a major sponsor deal.

2013-04-09 12:56 AM
in reply to: #4692481

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
TheClaaaw - 2013-04-08 11:06 PM I have never been privy to the accounting of these events behind the scenes. But my non-accountant instincts tell me there's an obvious issue for the growth of triathlon. You simply cannot put on a race with nearly as many people as a running race. There will never be a triathlon with 10,000 people in it. Nor even 5,000. That's why I will be surprised of the TriRock series survives as an offshoot of the Rock and Roll marathon series, much as I have enjoyed it. But look at how we've complained about the high cost of that series. Ok, but they sell out a number of the venues to full capacity. The margin on making money on the race has to be tight. Compare that to the RnR marathons, which appear to this layman as a license to print money.

Interesting that it has been shown that the ITU pays better. That's not a race that a BOP person can just sign up for. It more resembles a professional athletic competition than even (in many people's minds) something like Kona, which embodies the value of the average joe on course with the pros. That's great, and I enjoy it, but for a field of 2000 or under, they can't make a lot of money on that. Not compared to a marathon anyway.

Most ITU races have AG fiels as well. But with the dynamic of the looped courses, they are ran at different times. 

2013-04-09 1:00 AM
in reply to: #4692494

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
jobaxas - 2013-04-08 11:30 PM

Mike_D - 2013-04-09 2:35 AM I follow Macca on Twitter, and he's been in the US the past week+ doing various things. This past weekend, he did a couple local LA area sprint tri's (won both, shocker! ). Made me wonder if he gets appearance fees for showing up/racing in these type events? I would think he likely does (it *is* his job, afterall), but curious is any RD's out there have some insight to this. With someone like Macca, I'd think the RD would need semi-deep pockets to get this to happen, no?  

It is a part of the 'sponsorship' deal.  He was in the states for his birthday in Vegas and his agent etc is in LA and he did an interview on Rich Roll's podcast. 

Also some major news to be announced - probably a major sponsor deal.

I heard about his new sponsorship and wondered if his large base of twitter followers that he bought on ebay or are fake had anything to do with it. Kidding aside, the guy always knows how to keep in the headlines in triathlon. Say what you will about Macca (I go on both side) the guy is passionate about the sport. I have had the opportunity to met him a couple times and went on a long ride with him and his stories and passion for the sport are/is great. 

2013-04-09 3:14 AM

New user
sometimes they do pay pros to appear. cairns 70.3 (in australia) was going to have lance racing in it. he was signed up about a year ago, once the whole doping thing came out obviously he couldnt race, so they are suing lance for the money they paid him.

2013-04-09 9:04 AM
in reply to: #4692481

TheClaaaw - 2013-04-09 12:06 AM I have never been privy to the accounting of these events behind the scenes. But my non-accountant instincts tell me there's an obvious issue for the growth of triathlon. You simply cannot put on a race with nearly as many people as a running race. There will never be a triathlon with 10,000 people in it. Nor even 5,000. That's why I will be surprised of the TriRock series survives as an offshoot of the Rock and Roll marathon series, much as I have enjoyed it. But look at how we've complained about the high cost of that series. Ok, but they sell out a number of the venues to full capacity. The margin on making money on the race has to be tight. Compare that to the RnR marathons, which appear to this layman as a license to print money.

London Triathlon is over 12,000

Chicago is over 9,000

Nations Tri is ~5,000

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pro appearance fees? Rss Feed