Littleton, Colorado
United States
Alamo Events
Total Time = 2h 05m 55s
Overall Rank = 407/1128
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 82/213
Pre-race routine:

Ate a cinnamon raisin english muffin with PB & honey, washed down with some oolong. Tried to clear my sinuses.

Chatted with some friends at the start area before dropping off my sweats bag and doing a brief warmup. Jumped in my corral about 5 minutes before the start.
Run
  • 2h 05m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out a bit fast over the first 4 miles. I was running with just my watch (hadn't yet found my Garmin amongst the cardboard boxes still lingering from our move 2 weeks ago), and felt like I was running very well within myself. Tried to dial it back a bit, and then come on strong the last 3 miles.

Went fairly well, until at the top of the overpass, at about mile 12.5, I puked. Probably the result of the snot in my system from this cold I have had (sorry, TMI). After I got sick, I felt much better, and was able to kick it to the finish.

Felt strong, as though I could have maintained the average pace for some time beyond the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Not ride Deer Creek the day before?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, cheered in Mary as she finished her first 1/2 marathon. Grabbed a banana, pita with hummus, and vanilla ice cream. I passed on the bison burgers and cake. Something about the smell of grease after a hard effort just does not make me want to eat a burger.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was a training race at the end of a 4-week build, a day after a hill climbing bike ride. My performance was about what I would expect, given the preparation.

Event comments:

This is a well-run, well-supported event. They really try to make it a party at the finish line, with a live band, beer truck, etc.

Last updated: 2013-04-07 12:00 AM
Running
02:05:55 | 13.1 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 82/213
Overall: 0/1128
Performance: Average
Course: The course winds for about 2 miles through Old Town Littleton before turning onto the South Platte River trail and heading north to the Buckhorn Exchange. The SPR trail is cement, with a gravel path running along side for portions of the trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-04-08 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado
Subject: Platte River Half Marathon

2013-04-08 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4691484

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: RE: Platte River Half Marathon

Nice Job in the Platte Half.  I usually run this one but opted for the Colfax Half this year.  Yeah, that last bit up the overpass sucks, hard to finish strong.

Yes, climbing up Deer Creek the day before probably wasn't the best way to prepare for a HM. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Platte River Half Marathon Rss Feed