General Discussion Race Reports! » South County YMCA Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

South County YMCA Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log
St. Louis, Missouri
United States
Total Time = 1h 16m 23s
Overall Rank = 30 (W)/87 (W)
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/10
Pre-race routine:

Loaded bike and stuff night before. Good move. Breakfast of toast, peanut butter, coffee a few bites of oatmeal.
Late start meant late arrival, meant end of the line rack in transition area. So far away, and at the bottom of a hill, which meant, yes, running up the hill twice in transition. Very organized transition area--but forgot to clear my watch. So, transition times and run times are guesses.
Event warmup:

100m free right before swim start.
Swim
  • 07m 30s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

Each lane was kind of a wave start. I remembered I hadn't cleared my watch AS the whistle went off. I did fine, time announced as I ran out of the pool was 7:30.
What would you do differently?:

Clear watch. I would say swim more, but for this distance, I didn't need to. Now for a .9 lake swim, I better get my butt to the pool somehow.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

This went horribly!! I had planned to pull on a tank top with my number pre-pinned, but the tank top got stuck and I could not get it on, literally, and then the pins popped off. HELLO, RACE BELT? I swear, every piece of equiptment you think you don't need you end up getting in the end, so why fight it? I just ordered one online. So between the extra pinning and the marathon run to the mount line, was really slow. I was happy about my ability to run in my shoes, tho.

Race belt. Get to site earlier for decent racking area.
Bike
  • 35m
  • 10.9 miles
  • 18.69 mile/hr
Comments:

I passed quite a few, got passed a couple times, but not by any women. The last hill wasn't bad at all. There was one guy that drafted every person that passed him. I was watching him for a while then I passed him, he drafted me, then he finally pulled ahead at the end. My computer said 10.5, my friend's watch said 11.1, I wonder what the real distance was? Ate 1/2 a GU, drank a bit, but didn't need any more.
Saw getsome finishing his run and yelled "Go Brandon!" in a really deep mannish voice. I am still giggling about it!

I was really happy with the bike. It was the best part. I wished it was longer.

Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

I remember at ST Peters I could not run with the bike. My legs were jelly. Well, this was half the distance, but I felt strong and ran all the way (!) back to my spot. Time is a guess.

Find a closer transition. Get speed laces.
Run
  • 31m
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

So hard. I walked to first hill, then walked a bit later, then walked a bit on the hill out of the park. I really hurt! The time is a guess based on guessing my transition times. The watch was out the window at this point.

Run. Run on hills. Run a lot on hills. Yikes!
Post race
Warm down:

Not much, just drank water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training and bad transitions. With good transitions/location maybe I could have saved 1 or 2 minutes, but run training could have made up the additional 2 minutes it would have taken to et 3rd instead of 4th in my AG! (4 min difference)

Event comments:

Despite the chaos of cars, people, bikes, it went smoothly. Recplex has an easier set-up I think. There was potential for crashes, definitely with athletes trying to park, people trying to finish, people meandering along the road, etc. The run was hilly but I can't do anything about that! It was fun, I finished, and I get to write this report, so it was a success in my book!

Last updated: 2006-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:30 | 400 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/87 (W)
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 400m in 50m pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:00 | 10.9 miles | 18.69 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: A "technical" course! Down one hill, then really curvy and flat, back up the hill. A total of 4 turn-arounds on narrow roads was an average killer. It's a good thing we drove the course earlier because it would have been kinda confusing. I racked next to a girl who said she didn't do that 4th turn-around and got DQ'd.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:00 | 03 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Uphill all the way out, and uphill all the way back!! Really hilly and at least 2/3 cross country on grass. Course had lots of markers and volunteers, which was good, because you were running thru random fields.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-07-09 3:52 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: South County YMCA Sprint Triathlon

2006-07-09 8:56 PM
in reply to: #477071

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: South County YMCA Sprint Triathlon

YAY SOOZY!  You had a smokin' bike split! That was really awesome! Great job, now it's just 8 weeks to Lake St. Louis... HELLO? OWS anywone?

I'm so glad you got to do this race...I know you've been waiting for it!

2006-07-10 11:39 AM
in reply to: #477071

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: RE: South County YMCA Sprint Triathlon

Great race! Outstanding bike split, especially considering the turn-around so often.

Way to go!

~B

*as an aside* The early race results at the tri had the #1 finisher's time as 48:50. I balked at it, thinking there was no possible way. Well, it turns out I was right. He must not have done a loop of the bike course, cuz his name wasn't on the list when they posted updated times. DQ'd. Oops!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South County YMCA Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed