United States
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 14m 4s
Overall Rank = 9/19
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Ate and hoped we could find the race! I haven't been to Birch Bay in years. Oh yeah, cursed the rain too.
Run
  • 3h 14m 4s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went really well! It was hard, though. My quads were burning and the very last hill was the steepest hill in the world, I'm sure. Call Guiness because I know it was. It was pure unadulterated EVIL! However, I think I did really well overall. I did a run/walk combination since it was just a training run. Due to the low number of participants I actually took first in my division and third in masters! Yeah!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really except control the weather. Where is Lex Luthor when you need him?
Post race
Warm down:

Really more of a WARM UP! I was freezing when we finished. I ate a peanut butter and banana sandwich, received my masters place award (never did get my age place, though...I emailed and asked about it).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The fact that I'm slow.

Event comments:

While the post race activities weren't much and there weren't many volunteers, it was their first race. I hope to do it again next year and I expect it'll be even better.

Last updated: 2006-07-09 12:00 AM
Running
03:14:04 | 18.64 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 9/19
Performance: Good
Course: The course was evil and hilly, but not big hills...just long long lonely ascents. For a long time I thought I was dead last. It was okay, it was only a training run. There were so few runners on the course that I was pretty sure I would get lost. Fortunately they had km markers, rather than mile markers. So I never had to go very far to find a new marker! When Roy saw that I wasn't feeling very confident in my navigational abilities, he drove up ahead and scouted out the course to make sure I didn't get lost. He's such a great guy! He even went to find me Imodium and, bless his soul, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Since the course was open, he stopped along the course at a number of intervals and handed me water and gel. Other women exclaimed that their husbands would NEVER do that! That's because mine is the best.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No