Team Evergreen
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 9h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had pizza the night before. It was pouring. Went to bed about 10:30.
Woke up at 4:30. Ate my oatmeal and drank some coffee. Got the gear together. It was drizzling when I walked the dog. I was debating on what to wear/bring with. I ended up wearing a long sleeve over my cycling jersey, and took a wind breaker jacket and some tights and running gloves with me. (Not enough as it turned out)
We left the house a little after 5, being a little late, as usual
Event warmup:

No warm up. We met up with Brett and Julia and her crew and rode to the start line close to 7.
Bike
  • 9h 00m
  • 120 miles
  • 13.33 mile/hr
Comments:

6 of us: Julia (juliapurr), Cris, Justin, Brett (Alpine87), Richard (verve500) and I started together up the Sqaw pass. For the first mile it was actually really nice: the rain stopped and it was cool, unlike hot weather last year. The rain started with light drizzle, but quickly turned into a downpour. It was freezing too! It was miserable going up the pass, but we had no idea how much worse it would be coming down. That first pass was hard for me in terms of climbing too. I expected it to be shorter - 10 miles or so. It turned out to be 15 miles to the top.
The 2 rabbits in the party, Richard and Justin were at the top much earlier than the rest of us, so they kept going, because waiting in those conditions meant freezing your butt off. Julia, Brett, Chris and I met at the aid station, but after quickly using the restroom, we decided to keep going, as stopping really brought down the body temprature.
That first descent was the worst! It was so cold! My running gloves were soaked with cold water, so they didn't help much and my fingers were numb! With the fog and rain the visibility was negative. Ambulances were going up and down that hill I couldn't fill my hands and so I couldn't really break! When I saw a shoulder I squeezed my hands as hard as I could, stopped and warmed my hands with my breath a little, so I could feel them again. At the Echo Lake Lodge (about 1/2 way down) I saw Julia. We stopped, we both were shaking, so we decided to go in for a minute. That place was invaded by cyclists! We had some hot coffee, and started feeling a little better. The second half of the descent got my body temprature right back down though, and my jaws were shaking as I got to Idaho Springs. At this point I was seriously thinking about who should I call to come get me. It was only 1/2 hour from Denver after all. Julia and I shared more coffee at a gas station there. She called her sister and told her to come get us and bring some dry riding clothes just in case. Meanwhile we decided to at least ride to Dumont (about 5 miles) where Chris was waiting for us, as riding was warmer than standing around. We had some coffee there again. We all spent a bunch of money in a ski shop there to get some dry clothes. I bought a fleece shirt, new socks and warm gloves. My pants were still wet, but with drier upper body I felt a little better. Our stop there was probably about 1/2 hour.
We kept on riding to Georgetown, as the rain didn't seem to ever want to stop. Until this point I haven't really eaten anything. I was just more cold than hungry. We had some food there and kept going another 12 miles to Loveland ski area. This part included a 7 mile stretch on the high way, probably the most unpleasant part of the ride (ok, after the 1st descent). The sholder was really wide, almost as a full lane, but some drivers (a$$holes) still had to get close to us and beep there horns. I wonder, if they kept doing it for the whole 7 miles that the riders were stretched along. Also one truck splashed me with so much cold water - I felt like a bucket was poured on my head.
Needless to say, by the time I got to Loveland ski area there wasn't a dry spot on me again. Of course, as soon as I stopped I got really cold again. But I had to stop, because, I needed to get some food in me. Julia and Chris decided this was enough of fun for them at that point. I didn't really see Brett at this aid station. This was another point where I considered quitting. I was thinking of either calling Victor and have hime pick me up here or leave my bike here, drive with Julia to Copper, get Victors car and go back to get my bike. Julia's sister was there with a warm SUV and a whole set of dry riding clothes. Since Julia wasn't going to ride anymore, she said I can have the dry stuff. When I heard that, I decided I was riding on. I spent about 15 min in the car, changing and just warming up. And off I went.
Riding up Loveland pass, even though steeper, was much easier and faster than the stretch to the ski area. By that time the rain slowed down a little too. It didn't stop, but at least my clothes weren't completely soaked for the descent. It was still very cold coming down, but the main thing I could feel my fingers and control my breaks.
From Lake Dillon it's a short, but annoying uphill to Frisco, I did warm up on it though. There was another aid station there with hot coffee. I stopped there to warm up, eat and chat with some people. It was pretty lonesome for me at this poing. I called Richard. He was already finished! And I was only at 80 miles - 2/3 of the way done. Rain got its strength back by the time I started again. It was a pretty flat and wet 10 miles to Copper. I knew if I made it to Copper I was going to make it, because Vail pass was fresh in my memory from a couple weeks ago, and it wasn't that hard (with fresh legs in nice weather). The rain stopped for a bit as I was going through Copper. I saw Vick's car, and there they were - Vicktor just picked up Richard and they were going to the hotel. They didn't recognize me at first because I had different clothes on, but I waved at them and they stopped, took some pictures of me and cheered me on. Bettween that and the sun that tried to show up, the ride up Vail Pass really wasn't that bad. I even got a little warm coming up. I made last stop at top of Vail (95 miles), ate a bunch of watermellon and oreos, put everything I had on for the last descent. It was a fun ride down. I was still chilly, but nothing like the 1st two passes. The last 10 miles are flat and slight downhill. They were really hard for me last year, because I was spent. I felt a little better this year and kept joining different fast groups. I was doing 20+ that whole last stretch.
Whew! It was nice to see that turn in the expo area.
What would you do differently?:

Have better riding clothes. Nothing else really. I think I did great given the condiditions
Post race
Warm down:

I ate a vegie burger (with cheese), baked potato (with sour cream) and salad (with a bunch of ranch). I don't know why I crave fats like this after a hard workout).
Richard showed up to pick me up right when I finished my dinner. Perfect timing! We got in the car and drove to our favorite spot in Vail, where we had more food - some great fish tacos, and some beers.

Event comments:

Good organization. Volunteers were amazing! Hopefully next year the weather will be a little nicer :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-07-09 12:00 AM
Biking
09:00:00 | 120 miles | 13.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
total time closer to 12 hours, my stops were pretty long
Wind: Some
Course: 120 miles from Evergreen to Avon over 3 mountain passes with 10,000 of climbing. About 1/2 roads, 1/2 bike paths, with a 7 mile stretch on the shoulder of the interstate
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-07-09 5:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Subject: Triple Bipass Ride

2006-07-09 6:41 PM
in reply to: #477128

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: RE: Triple Bipass Ride
Great race report! Nice photo's too, who is your photographer? Whoever it is, he/she is great!

You continue to amaze me. I really didn't think you were going to tough this one out, but you did! You really are the one and only Lilia-Monster! If that statistic - only 15% of the entrants were girls - I bet you were one of the few female finishers... That means you chicked a couple of thousand guys! YEAH!
2006-07-09 7:25 PM

User image

Mesa
Great job! That is a impressive ride. To think I was wondering about how I would fair on my 50 mile training ride today. Nice pose with the bike too!
2006-07-09 8:26 PM

User image

Denver

Great race report!  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry... sort of like the whole day yesterday.

I love that picture with the bike overhead.  I felt like striking that pose at the top of Loveland Pass, then launching the bike off the Continental Divide.

You should be really proud of your accomplishment yesterday.  I really don't think that very many people kept grinding through the horror of it all.  Great job!

2006-07-10 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Denver

Good RR. You did a nice job of making it sound just as miserable as I'm sure it felt!

You look like you're winding up to throw your bike down the hill in that pic.

2006-07-10 11:14 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
Great ride and report! You can never go wrong with watermelon and oreos. Sounds like a tough day!

2006-07-10 4:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
I'm so impressed that you toughed out one of the hardest rides in Colorado in those conditions. I don't know if I could have persevered. You will find that the old addage, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is very true. You'll never forget this ride and what you went through to finish. Great job!
2006-07-11 12:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Just wanted to thank you all for your kind words and inspiration!
Thanks BT for helping me get through this one! If it wasn't for the 400 mile club and the vertical challenge that I entered, I would have been more likely to quit
2006-07-11 8:37 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Finishing that ride in that weather is an awesome accomplishment. You must be so mentally strong to persevere.
2006-07-11 9:30 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Wow you really gutted it out in tough conditions!

Having a challenge helps push through....you are one amazing women!

How long did it take you to feel warm afterwards?

2006-07-11 9:40 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Nice job in miserable conditions!  I would have stopped early for sure!   I am a wuss in the cold!  Nice pictures too!  Hope to meet you at Boulder peak!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triple Bipass Ride Rss Feed