Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-04-17 10:21 AM
in reply to: #4694773

New user
Key West
Subject: RE: What I learned from my first HIM
laurentris - 2013-04-10 11:59 AM

Thank you so much for sharing this! I have my first next month and am starting to get nervous. My only goal is to finish and I will be focusing on pacing and managing the heat since I think it will be hot. Whatever gets me to the finish line!

Question about the sunscreen: do you reapply in one of the transitions (if so, which?) or do you sunscreen up before the race? I am thinking I will be out there for around 7 hours so will be there in the afternoon so I was thinking maybe reapply in T2 with a spray?

I would recommend you apply sunscreen at T1 and T2. I did a HIM in January (Key West so much easier to get burned) and I ended up with sunburn where I couldn't reach (back area exposed with TRI suit) and the part I forgot (back of legs.) The other areas got sun but no burn.

Different issue though is that I learned that nutrition/electrolyte replacement) on the bike is very important, especially for a hot race. I didn't take in enough calories or electrolytes and ended up not only hitting the wall on the run, but also having terrible lower leg and foot cramps on the run.

I also learned that I probably don't have a IM in me like I thought I might before the HIMCry

2013-04-17 10:41 AM
in reply to: #4703759

User image

Elite
N Carolina

"Instead of nit-picking every little "tree", you could try work with understanding the "forest" more. There is a good observation in that same section that is much more important than perfecting every definition."

I'm only trying to help.  I'm sorry if you think I'm "nit-picking" but I was trying to correct someone who was giving out information that is clearly false.  The idea that a bike/run workout is not a brick if you run more than 3 miles is completely asinine.

Edited by japarker24 2013-04-17 10:41 AM
2013-04-17 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4703652

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
japarker24 - 2013-04-17 8:00 AM
FranzZemen - 2013-04-16 10:00 PM
japarker24 - 2013-04-15 7:49 AM

FranzZemen - 2013-04-14 7:26 AM My 2 cents after my first HIM. Electrolytes management is far more important than I realized. Had plenty of energy after a 2:32 bike but could not get cramps out of hamstring and calves + stitch. Lost 30-40 minutes walking/bending over in pain.On the brick topic, once you have run 3 miles it's no longer a brick workout but a run workout. Stop unless your intention is to have a run workout.

No.

No matter how far you run, if you biked beforehand, its a brick.

No, that's not true. Back at ya.

From the Glossary of Triathlon Terms on this site:

Brick:

Commonly, a combination workout that includes a bike and run back to back. Comedically, "Bike/Run It Can Kill" or "Bike/Run Ick". It can be any combination of triathlon sports with less than 10 minutes between sports.

Only mention of time I see is the amount of time between sports.  No mention of distance either....

Yes, because something is written down it must be true, and so we must call all workout combinations Brick per the definition.  I stand incredibly corrected and now I will call all such workouts brick.  Baloney.  Once the physiological change is made to the run, the effect of the bike/run brick switches to a run workout on with potentially tired muscles.   Not much different than doing a bike in the morning, and run several hours later.  I'm fine if you go into denial about that, because its still good training.

2013-04-17 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4703985

Master
Northern IL
japarker24 - 2013-04-17 10:41 AM

"Instead of nit-picking every little "tree", you could try work with understanding the "forest" more. There is a good observation in that same section that is much more important than perfecting every definition."

I'm only trying to help.  I'm sorry if you think I'm "nit-picking" but I was trying to correct someone who was giving out information that is clearly false.  The idea that a bike/run workout is not a brick if you run more than 3 miles is completely asinine.

As I'm trying to help you. There is a lot of energy & enthusiasm, very much willing to help out which is great. But then the post in question could have been stated differently, such as saying that the additional running continues adding on to the brick, but doesn't add to the quality of the brick. It's simply more running. Then you're setting up for a potential discussion instead of either a confrontation or being completely ignored.

And so you know, a number of rather knowledgeable folks will also use the term "transition run". The difference between a brick and the transition run being intensity, with the brick being hard. I don't really have a preference to the terminology so long as the idea is conveyed. That is, the intent of the workout and how to do it.

Edited by brigby1 2013-04-17 12:08 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What I learned from my first HIM Rss Feed  

of 4