General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PlayTri Festival Triathlon June 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-06-03 9:05 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Subject: RE: PlayTri Festival Triathlon June 2
Enjoyed the course and the people. Actually didn't mind the "W" run becuase it was shaded most of the time. My only complaint is with the distances. For the Sprint they were WAY off, unless I suddenly went from 1:40/100m to 1:10/100m through some amazing improvement in technique. Bike and Run was short as well accoriding to the Garmin (cross-checked with other competitiors).

If the distances were an issue because of the city, that's fine. But advertise the correct distances....while I'd love to think I'm averaging a 6:20/mile on the run, I'm not and would like to have that accurate for historical purposes. I will be back next year though.

2013-06-03 9:22 AM
in reply to: roamingseaside

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
i didn't pay attention to my watch except on the run, and I was running 7:30-7:45/miles, but the results have me at 6:52. I thought there was no way I was that fast, but I was tired after the race and just accepted it. Now I'm hearing that a lot of the distances were off, that kinda bums me out. I'm not as fast at I had appeared. I enjoyed the race a lot yesterday. I felt good throughout the whole race.
I heard there were several crashes and my girlfriend who was watching said it seemed pretty unorganized and volunteers yelling at other volunteers and stuff. I knew the course, so I didn't have a problem.
And then there was the t-shirt fiasco. Not a big deal, but definitely another thing that was unorganized with this race. Come on Playtri!!
2013-06-03 9:30 AM
in reply to: mbwallis

User image

Austin

Originally posted by mbwallis
Originally posted by jetsers um you did 2 loops? cause on the bike it was supposed to be 3 loops to make 21.7 miles.
Sprint was 2 loops, International was 3 loops.

Ahh yeah The sprint distance. I wondered about that.

Thanks!

2013-06-03 9:42 AM
in reply to: jjupiter100

User image

Regular
Originally posted by jjupiter100

i didn't pay attention to my watch except on the run, and I was running 7:30-7:45/miles, but the results have me at 6:52. I thought there was no way I was that fast, but I was tired after the race and just accepted it. Now I'm hearing that a lot of the distances were off, that kinda bums me out. I'm not as fast at I had appeared. I enjoyed the race a lot yesterday. I felt good throughout the whole race.
I heard there were several crashes and my girlfriend who was watching said it seemed pretty unorganized and volunteers yelling at other volunteers and stuff. I knew the course, so I didn't have a problem.
And then there was the t-shirt fiasco. Not a big deal, but definitely another thing that was unorganized with this race. Come on Playtri!!

Haha, yeah I'd love for the run pace they had to be true! But I just always go by what my Garmin says, so I have the accurate data for analysis, etc. I just don't swim with a Garmin, so I'm never quite sure on the swim distance. But I know a wetsuit doesn't take 30s/100m off my time, so I know it was short as well.

I can understand the frustration with not being able to pick up t-shirts at packet pick up, but I had no problems getting mine right after setting up in transition around 530am or so. Was it really a fiasco? I found the volunteers to be excellent at this race. I've volunteered at PlayTri races before, they are usually quite organized. I'm not sure why t-shirts were late.

As I was just completing the u-turn to start loop 3 on the bike, I saw a woman wipe out pretty hard as she approached the u-turn. I have no idea what caused it or if she continued. I also heard of another wreck where a guy went down hard. I didn't hear or see any volunteer issues though. I did have one issue where a cop let a car out in front of me and another rider, but then stopped it in the middle of the intersection because a rider was coming in the opposite direction. I had to hit the brakes and drop to about 5mph to go around it. But other than that, no issues.

I ended up missing a podium spot by 15s, so I was left wondering where I could have gained that extra 15s. But overall, I felt good and loved the race.
2013-06-03 11:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by roamingseaside
Bike and Run was short as well accoriding to the Garmin (cross-checked with other competitiors).

How short was the bike? I think they advertised 22m and my garmin said I did 21.5 and I didn't actually start it until after my feet were buckled in the shoes. I'm ok with a few percentage points off of my GPS, it's 5.5 miles vs 6 that is a lot bigger difference.

edit, as far as your pace for historical purposes, just take your time, plug in 5.45 miles and you know what you ran. I agree, I'm not a 38m 10k guy, really wish I was.

Edited by chris948 2013-06-03 11:13 AM
2013-06-03 12:32 PM
in reply to: chris948

New user
I also was ok with the bike being a tad short, but I was a tad bummed with the short run. All in all, I do agree it was a great race and I had a great time.

Did anyone get a distance on the swim? I realize due to sighting that everyone's swim is going to be a tad different, but I am just curious if anyone has any garmin data.

2013-06-03 4:05 PM
in reply to: BigDLobo

User image

Not sure how short the bike was as I started my garmin outside transisiton, but mr. garmin had me at 21.7 mph and the timing data was at 22.3 mph. Back of the envelop says it was 0.4-0.5 miles short. As for the swim, my garmin said 300m but the plot was way off so there is no telling, but based on past performances and I actually swam pretty straight for once my guess would be somewhere between 300m - 350m

2013-06-03 5:21 PM
in reply to: roamingseaside

User image

Austin

Originally posted by roamingseaside Not sure how short the bike was as I started my garmin outside transisiton, but mr. garmin had me at 21.7 mph and the timing data was at 22.3 mph. Back of the envelop says it was 0.4-0.5 miles short. As for the swim, my garmin said 300m but the plot was way off so there is no telling, but based on past performances and I actually swam pretty straight for once my guess would be somewhere between 300m - 350m

I did some terrible sighting and ended up going out too far a few times, so I might have made up that 300m :P

2013-06-04 1:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
Originally posted by mbwallis

Haha, yeah I'd love for the run pace they had to be true! But I just always go by what my Garmin says, so I have the accurate data for analysis, etc. I just don't swim with a Garmin, so I'm never quite sure on the swim distance. But I know a wetsuit doesn't take 30s/100m off my time, so I know it was short as well.

I can understand the frustration with not being able to pick up t-shirts at packet pick up, but I had no problems getting mine right after setting up in transition around 530am or so. Was it really a fiasco? I found the volunteers to be excellent at this race. I've volunteered at PlayTri races before, they are usually quite organized. I'm not sure why t-shirts were late.

As I was just completing the u-turn to start loop 3 on the bike, I saw a woman wipe out pretty hard as she approached the u-turn. I have no idea what caused it or if she continued. I also heard of another wreck where a guy went down hard. I didn't hear or see any volunteer issues though. I did have one issue where a cop let a car out in front of me and another rider, but then stopped it in the middle of the intersection because a rider was coming in the opposite direction. I had to hit the brakes and drop to about 5mph to go around it. But other than that, no issues.

I ended up missing a podium spot by 15s, so I was left wondering where I could have gained that extra 15s. But overall, I felt good and loved the race.

Well, my timex ironman watch w/ gps was taking forever to acquire satellites that morning, but i got it to acquire about 30 minutes before the race. once we got into the water and started, i hit the start button and it said it didn't have any satellites, and it started anyway, so that threw all my distances off. I don't know when it actually locked on to a satellite. so that's why I wasn't paying much attention to distances. only my pace on the run.
i noticed the u-turn on the bike was just a tad bit shorter than what the actual directions had. and same on the run. we were supposed to u-turn at o'connor.
my girlfriend said there was a guy that actually flipped over the handle bars of his bike at the dismount location because there was a traffic jam and he didn't slow down soon enough. and apparently the reason he didn't slow down soon enough was because the volunteer at the u-turn (not the dismount line) wasn't telling them to slow down. so the volunteers at the dismount line were yelling at the u-turn volunteer to tell the cyclists to slow down. the u-turn volunteer was yelling back at them to mind their business and just make sure the people were dismounting appropriately.

and i say 'fiasco' because t-shirts weren't available at the playtri store on thursday. the lady told us to get them at the timing chip table on race morning. so sunday morning i see that there are no t-shirts at the timing chip table, but i ask anyways, and the volunteers don't know. not a big deal. i wait until after the race and we're told to go into the garage past transition and pick them up. the same lady that was at the playtri store says she doesn't have anymore. then we find out that the t-shirts are at the finish line. so again, no big deal, but i'm used to them being more organized.

and i don't know how on earth some of these bike splits were determined. I finished 7th in my AG, but there were 3 people that finished ahead of me that had a 35.1mph and 37.6mhp and .15mph bike splits. but they had 23 and 27 minute 5k's?? sounds like maybe they only did one loop. so if i take those out, i missed 3rd place by a little over two minutes. i'm cool with that.
all in all, i had a good time.

Edited by jjupiter100 2013-06-04 1:06 PM
2013-06-04 6:34 PM
in reply to: jjupiter100

User image

and apparently the reason he didn't slow down soon enough was because the volunteer at the u-turn (not the dismount line) wasn't telling them to slow down. so the volunteers at the dismount line were yelling at the u-turn volunteer to tell the cyclists to slow down.

There was a meeting at 6:45 where a lady showed exactly where the U-turn was, and after your laps where the dismount line was. Learn the course??
2013-06-04 7:15 PM
in reply to: chris948

User image

Regular
Originally posted by chris948

There was a meeting at 6:45 where a lady showed exactly where the U-turn was, and after your laps where the dismount line was. Learn the course??

+1. They went above and beyond here. Each racer should take it upon themselves to figure out where bike in/out is, where run in/out is, where the mount/dismount lines are, etc.

2013-06-04 9:39 PM
in reply to: mbwallis

User image

Extreme Veteran
I know some were curious what people showed for the Olympic Swim. My 310 XT had it at 1375 Yards.
2013-06-05 10:07 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Austin

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete I know some were curious what people showed for the Olympic Swim. My 310 XT had it at 1375 Yards.

Thanks, that's short but not too terribly, I am sure my wandering about made up the missing 250 meters.

1375 yards = 1257.3 meters for those without the google fu.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PlayTri Festival Triathlon June 2 Rss Feed  

of 3