General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Camelbacks and hydration. Why not? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-04-11 5:40 PM
in reply to: #4697015

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Subject: RE: Camelbacks and hydration. Why not?
spearit - 2013-04-11 6:28 PM

The problem I have with bladder type products (like Camelbak) here in Miami is that the inside of the bladder / tubing / bite thingy all require lots of cleaning after every use.

Why?

2013-04-11 5:43 PM
in reply to: #4696748

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
GAUG3 - 2013-04-11 3:46 PM
chris00nj - 2013-04-11 2:31 PM

For one, they are against the rules!

Rule #32: Humps are for camels; no hydration packs

Hydration packs are never to be seen on a road racer's body. No argument will be entered into this. For MTB, they are cool.

Those are cyclist rules.  Are you a cyclist or triathlete?

are you cycling while you are on your bike? or are you triathling?

from the rule: "No argument will be entered into this."

2013-04-11 5:53 PM
in reply to: #4696226

User image

I don't know anything about MTB racing but I would guess the reasons for preferring Cambelback there are primarily to do with the bottle getting filthy and more prone to falling out of the cages as they bump about all over the place.  

In road racing it's much easier to refill a bottle than a Camelback and at aid stations they give out bottles it takes seconds to replace the empty bottle with a full one.

I ride with 1.5L of fluid on my road bike in bottles and as I'm on the road it's easy to find places to refill and fast to pour it into the bottles.

I do my long runs on trails with a 2L Camelback because I don't like carrying bottles and the Camelback is so comfortable and easy to use.

2013-04-11 6:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Gawd I dig this site...

I was just wondering idly about Camelbacks on bikes (and I'll leave that topic alone here) and now have something to try on long runs!  I agree about it being a pain to carry enough hydration - the belts only hold so much and anything carried in hand throws off one's stride a bit or at least feels like it (or just tires out the arms after a couple hours).

A Camelback on a long run seems to make sense, and I don't even think it's against the rules!

Although my favorite rule might argue against it (#5).

2013-04-11 7:15 PM
in reply to: #4697043

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
mcmanusclan5 - 2013-04-11 7:07 PM

Gawd I dig this site...

I was just wondering idly about Camelbacks on bikes (and I'll leave that topic alone here) and now have something to try on long runs!  I agree about it being a pain to carry enough hydration - the belts only hold so much and anything carried in hand throws off one's stride a bit or at least feels like it (or just tires out the arms after a couple hours).

A Camelback on a long run seems to make sense, and I don't even think it's against the rules!

Although my favorite rule might argue against it (#5).

pretty much everything goes back to Rule 5 in the end

2013-04-12 1:29 PM

I use a great big Camelbak during tris.  But, I'm firmly in Clydesdale territory, so at 270 lbs I couldn't care less about the extra weight.  I put it on after the swim and keep it on even for the run.  I can't imagine not having one during Missouri summer training, and I race like I train.  I'm only looking to finish my races, and I figure passing out is a significant enough risk for me that I'll assume the disadvantages of using it.

For what it's worth, I leave the belt undone on the bike and fasten it for the run.  I'm also on a great big hybrid bike where I sit upright, so aero issues don't really apply.

2013-04-12 2:29 PM

Here's a big real reason:

They're not optimized for aerodynamics. 

This is actually a big deal for a lot of triathletes, particularly any who have spent good money (often $1-2K+) on aerodynamic bike frame (Cervelo) or race wheels. 

You put on a Camelbak, you've essentially wiped out any aero gains you made from adding either of those two very expensive upgrades. To wear a Camelbak while racing on a Cervelo P3 with race wheels shows a major misunderstanding in applying money to solve problems, and would likely elicit some humorous (and not so humorous) comments from those who realize the futility of maximizing aero while using Camelbak + uberpricey bike hardware.

Now if these true low-profile zipperless bladders become comfortable enough and convenient enough to use on long distance racing, I'm sure they'll start becoming a real option. I believe some UCI road profesional cyclists have used similar ones in shorter time trials (1hr or less.) But in the current incarnation, a typical Camelbak as widely known, is definitely not aerodynamic.

2013-04-12 2:37 PM
in reply to: #4698227

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I never use them on road tri's for any length but I always use them for XTERRA events (bike).
2013-04-12 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4698235

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I used one for my HIM.  I calculated the calories from sport drink powder I needed to mix with 70 ounces of water and had a very simple goal:  empty the backpack.    It takes 2 seconds to put on in T1, not an issue (although I did practice with it at a less important race).   I still think this was the smartest thing to do.  It had a slim profile so wasn't particularly hot.  I spent no time at aid stations, didn't even slow down.  If it was a hotter day, I would have gotten a bottle of water at one exchange (I started with one on the frame) but I didn't need more water.  Super easy.   An idiot can drink from one and I barely had to change my position to take a drink.

I am pretty certain that the reason they aren't used more is that they aren't "cool".  Too bad.  Joanna Zieger is the only pro I know that wore one for sure in IM and maybe HIM distance races.

They are also invaluable on hot days because they keep the water cool!    I might have seriously died without it on a training ride in August in Vegas this past summer.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2013-04-12 3:18 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Camelbacks and hydration. Why not? Rss Feed  

of 2