Arapahoe Parks and Recreation
Overcast
Total Time = 42m
Overall Rank = 1/20
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Restless,horrible sleep. Finally got out of bed about 6:15
Ate an egg white omelete and an english muffin.

Event warmup:

Felt tight, tired and slow, so I got out tri bike and went for quick road ride(2 miles) with two climbs to get blood flowing. Thought about doing pushups...passed.

Drove five minutes to get to race. Entered pre-race meeting to get instructions on transitions, course layout (I previewed it the day before)and to get my legs markered up.
Swim
  • 07m 29s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

I shared an undivided lane with the teen girl who ended up being my competition until the run segment. First length I dove and stayed under the water. Did crawl as long as I could, probably eight lengths then did Breast stroke for two, then switched back to crawl. Tried to sprint for last two lengths, ran out of steam about ten feet from wall!
What would you do differently?:

I just need more swimming. My YTD total which is my cumulative training total is about 2400 yards.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

I had to get out of pool, grab my towel and transition pack and literally run into the men's locker room ! No wet suits allowed on spin bikes, so I had to change out of my jammers and put on dry tri shorts. Shorts got stuck going on and I didn't get the legs pulled down correctly until I was on the bike later. My sleeveles jersey got wound up and stuck on my back too !

Take 2 more seconds with the towel so I would get clothes on quicker and save 5 or 10 seconds! I'd probably skip the shirt next time if it's not required.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 6.1 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Not sure how many out of pool before me, I think I was third on the bike. Easy to spin, got up to 90rpm fast then after a few minutes went to 100-104 rpm. After about 3 miles of easy spinning I increased pace to about 110-115rpm as the girl behind me was spinning hard too and she had gotten on the bike before me. I realized that I was not working hard enough even at 100rpm+ and decided to dig in deeper.

Practice bike to run transition with pacing of run being the main focus. I was way too fast out of the gate,and could not really even feel what I was doing. I only slowed down as I caught the two leaders who seemed to be running at a more reasonable pace.
Transition 2
  • 00m 15s
Comments:

I had to get off LeMond spin bike and run out of the room about 15 feet onto track.

I was third off bike and about a half lap down on two runners, a younger girl, and an older guy. T2 was only about 15 seconds..tore off cycling shoes, and threw on running shoes..yankz are great !

Nothing. I flew off the bike !
Run
  • 00m
  • 1.5 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt crazy right off bike.

After about one lap I got some feeling in legs and slowed my out of control pace down. After about four laps I passed the other two and was about 1/2 lap ahead fairly soon. I was running by myself for the rest of the race. After ten laps I slowed down. I got a cramp on my right side. I tried to burp and get rid of pain but realized it wasn't going away. I STOPPED for a few seconds, bent over,pushed in on my abdomen and realized it wasn't helping. I decided to RUN and try to win the thing !I did ok on the last six laps, I think I lapped the second and third place racers,and tried to sprint on the last one...still no one with me as I looked behind. Went thru the finish clock by myself and immediately stopped because of the cramp.

Pace myself better. I never looked at my watch once even though I was trying to establish a pace on the track. I plan to use HRM with my new Polar watch next time, and be conscious of my run pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Oy vay ! I laid down next to the track. Somebody told me to get up ! I went and walked around to the start line to get water. I sat on an exercise ball for about ten or fifteen minutes fairly oblivious to all the runners still on the track. After a bit I decided to go to the meeting room. First, I decided to have a Vanilla Bean GU gel which is a normal training aid for me, to help with recovery. I then realized I didn't have water to wash down thegel. I remember that the gel tasted weirdly; too sweet and irregular. I rushed to get some water. I then went down to the meeting room where people were gathering for post race activities. When I sat down, I immediately felt too warm, and a little nauseated. I ran out of the room, across the building and ALMost made it into the toilet area of the locker room :(

I returned to the meeting room area few minutes later where I was noticeably missing...to applause ! It's amazing to get applauded after barfing in the men's room, I highly recommend it

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need more miles lgged running, and more yards in the pool. Simple.

Event comments:

This was my first race ever, planned as a warmup for the Rattlesnake Tri so I don't have much to compare it to. The swim was hard simply because I've only been in the pool for a month, the bike was weird because of the lack of gearing and inability to judge positioning. I'll expect to learn running strategy and improve my abilities ther in the next race,

OR

This race was the bomb and I kicked ass !! j/k

Last updated: 2006-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:29 | 400 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/20
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tyr Jammer
Course: 25M pool with mass start
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:00:00 | 06.1 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: LeMond spin bike which made for a weird segment. There was no way to judge standings, except for flirting with the race controllers who were each watching a group of four or five people. Looking in the mirror, I could watch most of the riders, and figured I was spinning at a higher cadence, but there was no higher gear to shift into or passing !! Coments on the course are intended to be funny.
Road: Potholes  Cadence: 100
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Bad Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 01.5 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: 1/10 mile banked track with two running lanes.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-09 9:11 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: Trails CenterTriathlon

2006-07-09 9:51 PM
in reply to: #477258

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Trails CenterTriathlon
Good job on completing your first race!! Your right about taking a litlle more time to dry off in T1, wet and workout gear really don't mix !!!
2006-07-10 11:33 AM
in reply to: #477282

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: RE: Trails CenterTriathlon
Thank you very much JoyfullySo !
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Trails CenterTriathlon Rss Feed