General Discussion Triathlon Talk » O'ahu vacation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-11 6:11 PM

Subject: O'ahu vacation
This is totally untri-related!

Spending July and August in Hawaii and trying to figure out lodging. We typically camp for the 8-10 weeks of the summer and have had great trips (CA coast, New england, Puerto Rico, florida and the keys, etc) but we keep hearing how unsafe Oahu is for camping, especially as a white, two-mom family with 4 kids. We had figured out camping and how all the state campgrounds close for 2 nights a week when our family on Maui told us we were nuts. We recently had our car smash and grabbed while out of the US and lost our passports, wallets, the kids' backpacks with textbooks and phones, etc and are a little wary of doing all that again

So then we looked at cheap furnished apts. Waianae seemed to fit the bill- condos right on the beach with a pool and cheap. But then we heard that we won't be safe in that area either and it is just for locals addicted to meth. Also it looks like a long drive to explore the rest of the island. We'd like to stay away from the tourist areas but at the same time don't want to tread on anyone's local turf.

We are not typical tourists- We have no money! We just fly for free, usually camp, and eat from the grocery store or farmers' market. The kids are awesome adventurers and can live with outdoor showers and camp pads for months on end as long as we feel safe.

So, is O'ahu really this jungle of crime? I've already decided not to bring my bike if I don't have a safe place to keep it. Any suggestions for safe, cheap housing? We don't mind living with section 8 housing folks, but we don't want violence.

Thanks- can't wait to visit!

2013-04-12 3:52 PM
in reply to: #4697050

User image

Subject: RE: O'ahu vacation

Please don't take this the wrong way.  I'm just trying to inform you to set some expectations.

Camping without a permit in Hawaii is illegal.  If you find an unoccupied space that seems good for camping, it's probably unoccupied for a reason.  Like any other metropolitan area, Oahu has it's share of homeless people.  The police do their best to kick them out of areas that you would likely deem "safe".  So basically you're left with the areas that are already occupied by the homeless, and where police are less likely to spend their time chasing them out.

Waianae is likely not somewhere you would like to rent.  The cost is cheap there for a reason.  It's extremely isolated from the rest of the island as it's a 30 minute drive just to get out of that area...and there is only one road in or out.  It's very much a lower income area, and it suffers from lower income problems. 

There are a lot of safe places on Oahu.  It just comes with additional cost.  Pearl City, Aiea, Kailua, Kaneohe, and Ewa Beach are all areas that are quite safe and out of the major touristy areas.  But likely at double or triple the cost of something in Waianae.  Nobody said Hawaii was "affordable."

Best of luck and enjoy your stay in Hawaii.

2013-04-13 9:05 AM

Thanks. We were planning to camp with permits at state campgrounds. No stealth camping planned!

Punalu'u looks like it might have something for us. Ewa keeps popping up also.

2013-04-17 12:33 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

Oahu is generally safe from violent crime, but it does happen. If you keep to yourself, and are respectful of locals, usually that will go a long way. But some areas are more risky.

Most crime is theft related, which would be your biggest concern IMO.

Here's the state website for camping on Oahu:

http://www.hawaiistateparks.org/camping/oahu.cfm

You might also consider a Hostel.

http://www.hostelz.com/hostels/USA/Hawaii/Oahu

A very nice camping area on North Shore:

http://www.campmokuleia.com/

2013-04-24 6:13 AM
in reply to: #4704227

Thanks Metafizx.

We've pretty much decided that even the cheap apts are too pricey for us. Between state and city and county campgrounds I think we've got this covered. I hadn't seen Camp Mokuleia before, so that is one more option for Wed and thursday nights.

I'll be happy to put the lodging planning behind me and start planning the fun stuff! I'm gonna do two of the wakiki rough water swims and will look for some runs. No bike for this trip.

2013-12-20 2:41 PM
in reply to: Quigley

Just thought I would follow up on this. Our vacation was amazing! Never had a bit of trouble any where! The weather was amazing, the beaches, the mountains, the waterfalls. We did more fall jumping, cliff jumping, climbed haiku stairs, swam the surf and sea series, hiked and swam and explored! The whole experience was incredible. I couldn't understand "scenic swims" but figured out very quickly much scenery was underwater!

We did meet people who clearly had drug addictions but sharing public showers and facilities with them was just as sharing with anybody. Some locals couldn't stop telling us about how great the area was, some just said hello and went on their way. We got kicked out of the campground for 2 nights due to an impending tropical storm and spent those nights in a hotel in honolulu like a zillion other tourists, and that was pleasant for a short time also.

2013-12-22 3:01 PM
in reply to: Quigley

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Great!

Sounds like you got the whole experience..lol
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » O'ahu vacation Rss Feed