General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim help in eastern Iowa Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-09 9:36 PM

clinton, Ia
Subject: swim help in eastern Iowa
Hi all..... I am new to tri's. I did my first one this weekend and now I am completely hooked! My bike and run were around what I had figured at least, but since I did no training at all in the swim for this event I really didnt know what to expect on that. Well the split time for my swim is/was 17 and some change, impressive i know. Problem is, I don't like water going up my nose, so I do the freestyle the whole way with my head out of the water. I have another tri scheduled in mid september and wondered how I can hit it hard enough to knock 5 mins off my swim before then. Possible? I want to know if there is anywhere near where I am (clinton) that I can go to get training in this area.

2006-07-11 10:00 PM
in reply to: #477273

Subject: RE: swim help in eastern Iowa
I just did the Crossroads this weekend and will be doing the troops and trihawks in September. Are those the ones you are referring to be any chance? Anyway, I am new at this as well, and swimming is my weekest point. A bunch of people have suggested that I look into Master's swimming. Iowa City has two groups and I would think there should be some in the quad cities area. I started swimming in April to prepare for my first tri in June. WHen i first started, i couldn't even do a whole lap without switching to breaststroke. Now i can swim over a mile with just freestyle. I haven't had any formal help, but i've been reading alot....and the thing that has helped the most has been just spending more time in the pool. i've realized that it feels so much easier, if i can make it to the pool at least 3x's in a week. Face has got to go in the water though-that will keep the rest of your body floating better Head comes up, body sinks.

Enjoy your training!! I know I am...these triathlons are addicting
2006-09-03 2:37 PM

New user

I was wondering where you practice open water swims in eastern Iowa. Any suggestions?
2006-09-04 10:17 AM

You might want to try West Lake Park / Davenport. It's a smallish swimming area, but it would give you a feel for open water. Good Luck!
2006-09-04 9:31 PM
in reply to: #529907

I swim in the Coralville Reservoir by IOwa City. The only negative is that I end up covered in a light brown slime when I am done. But, people really do swim in it and they all seem okay....and I haven't gotten sick yet.
2006-09-07 9:33 AM

New user

Ewww... that's what I was afraid of. I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and swim in the res. Yuck. I guess I'm a water snob... I grew up in rural New Hampshire, surrounded by amazingly clear ponds, lakes, and water holes--not the mention the ocean. Oh, well.

JBoyer-- are you doing the Troops & TriHawks race next week? I was planning on it, but then had to take a long break from training for medical reasons and now I'm too out of shape to even attempt it.

2006-09-07 11:25 AM
in reply to: #533161

the Res is gross...I swam in it once last year and was very grossed out by it. I swore i would never swim in it again after i noticed the brown slime. I only just started swimming in it again this month, because I am planning on doing the Troops and Trihawks. The race starts about 2 miles from my house and practically bikes right past it, so how could i pass it up? It's my home course That's too bad that you won't be able to do it this year...but there's always next year!

i just moved here about a year and a half ago from upstate New York, and was also spoiled by the lovely Finger Lakes and beautiful gorges for swimming.....I miss water that is blue!

I am always looking for training buddies, so if you ever want to run, bike or swim, let me know! THe more people i have to work out with, the more motivated i am to actually train
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim help in eastern Iowa Rss Feed